How bad is the Amoled screen burn-in problem?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
7 years of Amoled screens from 3 different manufacturers and 2 different OS's. If there has been screen burn in I can't see it so I guess for me it's a moot point.

Posted via the Android Central App

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
7 years of Amoled screens from 3 different manufacturers and 2 different OS's. If there has been screen burn in I can't see it so I guess for me it's a moot point.

All that means is that you didn't have static images on your phone from a frequently-used application. It doesn't mean the technology isn't prone to burn-in. If you had 25 phones without burn-in, it doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It's a matter of use case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have seen burn in on store models but I don't count this as "regular use". My friends who keep phones forever and use them like a regular user haven't had any burn in (I change phones too much so I wouldn't ever see it). A phone that is on (screen) 24/7 displaying images over and over for a demo model isn't exactly an ideal candidate unless you just want to get super technical. The technical is nice but I also like to compare things to real-world use since that is what 99% of people go for :).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What it is for is to show examples of burn-in, just in case some folks here aren't quite sure what we have been referring to.

jer85008

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 6, a daily driver since Nov 2014, had pretty bad burn in right before it finally bit the dust a few weeks ago. It happened fairly sudden as well, it wasn't noticeable until a few months ago.

paging dr b

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 6 is showing signs of it. It's not terrible but it's certainly noticeable when watching videos, or playing games. My friends Galaxy S6 edge also has burn in, but hers is a little worse because it's the keyboard that is ghosting across the lower portion of the screen.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My Turbo 2 and Note 4 both have noticeable burn in/ghosting/whatever you want to call it. If you look at a solid color screen (especially white), you can clearly see areas that are lighter corresponding with where the virtual buttons or doc icons are located. Not crazy noticeable, but there. These are fairly new devices and not being left on for hours on end like store display units. Amoled screens definitely "Burn in". My wife's iphone 6+ gets way more screen on time with no noticeable burn in.

lennydude

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had my N6 for over a year now and it gets a lot of use. I have zero screen burn in.
Not really sure why some are experiencing this issue?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had my N6 for over a year now and it gets a lot of use. I have zero screen burn in.
Not really sure why some are experiencing this issue?

Simple. It's all about static images on the screen for the lengths of time that creates burn in. If you don't have things on the screen for X number of hours with the same image on some portion of the screen then you won't have a problem.

barry99705

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
My Note2 and original Galaxy Nexus both have screen burn in. Both from the Waze app. I use my phone as my car gps, so Waze runs anywhere from 2 to 5 hours a day, depending on what jobs I have that day.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Because typically fan forums are for people that DO care, maybe?

My S3 and S5 never had burning in problems (largely due to both of them having a new screen one year in) but the Mrs's S5 is really burnt in in the notification bar. Usual high brightness, long screen time issue.

I think Samsung should be able to have an amoled screen last 2years on full brightness. I've honestly stayed away from buying an amoled TV due to how they burn in on phone screens. Granted, the TV won't have areas that are contany the same (notification panel for example) but I change TV in the region of every 5-10 years. I don't want it to be noticeably degraded 2 years or less after buying.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A lot of misinformation in this thread. Looking at a store sample as a meaningful data point is just silly (or stupid). Those phones are on 24x7. No one actually uses their phone that way. I recently borrowed my son's Galaxy S3, which was used daily for more than two years. There's slight burn-in on the status bar, but since those icons are normally lit up anyway you don't notice it except under special circumstances.
^ This.

We have to understand that the units on display in the likes of Best Buy or the local carrier store are turned on 24/7, have their displays set to full-brightness and display the same thing over and over again on the entire display. That's an extremely high-wear situation, and one where a consumer-owned unit wouldn't normally encounter.

The wear-and-tear rate on those units is higher precisely because of that. That's why when some stores decide to sell these phones to clear their stock, they're really cheap as they've already experienced probably years' worth of normal consumer usage in just a few months.

The bottom line is this. Just use your phone normally and it will be fine.

And yes, OLED displays do have a higher tendency to "burn-in" compared to IPS displays. However, more recent OLED panels have become somewhat more resilient to that. It still occurs, but doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the early panels. I think this might be part of the reason why Samsung doesn't go with on-screen buttons on their phones. Though TBH, my S3 and even the old S2 don't have any noticeable trace of burn-in. The S2 probably might have some, but it's very hard to notice.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Read the replies of 'normal' people whose phones have been burned in by normal use! A friends S6 Edge has a serious burn in issue after just 4 months. There is a problem, a big problem. You can't just be ignorant and say they only happen with excessive usage because my friend only kept the screen on for around 4 hours a day! I use my IPS phones for around 8+ hours a day and my 3 year old phone still has no burn-in, ghosting or any degradation that's visible to my eye whereas her S6 Edge has keyboard ghosting after 4 freaking months.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Read the replies of 'normal' people whose phones have been burned in by normal use! A friends S6 Edge has a serious burn in issue after just 4 months. There is a problem, a big problem. You can't just be ignorant and say they only happen with excessive usage because my friend only kept the screen on for around 4 hours a day! I use my IPS phones for around 8+ hours a day and my 3 year old phone still has no burn-in, ghosting or any degradation that's visible to my eye whereas her S6 Edge has keyboard ghosting after 4 freaking months.

I haven't had a problem with burn in since my S2. There is a problem alright. And that problem is assuming every one experiences the exact same issue with their phones.

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit worried about the night clock and burn in. It doesn't seem to move around like the always on display so can't see how it protects against it.

Maisoumenos

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had numerous samsung devices and I've yet to see this "burn in" that people (only in Android central, mind you) speak of. Not saying that it hadn't happened to anyone. I'm sure there's a person who can claim they've had to deal with it, on any phone we can find but certainly it's not an issue like some are trying to suggest

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463