How bad is the Amoled screen burn-in problem?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just tried that on my 1.5 year old Note 4, even turned screen brightness to max and I can honestly say I see absolutely zero ghosting or any type of artifact indicating screen burn in of any kind. Then again, even though it's been used heavily it's never had any kind of static content on the screen for any long duration and screen brightness has always been left on auto (only maxed out from time to time when in full sunlight), as well as its most used app, the stock Samsung browser, has always been set to hide the notification bar. :)

I just tried this on my Note 4 and Note Edge. I see no screen burn in at all. I bought both of these phones a year ago in January.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, Samsung is working on a new display tech called QLED, or Quantum-dot Light-Emitting Diodes. They're planning to begin mass-production in a few years on their TVs.

Widely believed to be the next big new display tech after OLED, QLED is almost like OLED, in the sense that it is self-illuminated and doesn't require a backlight. However, because it isn't organic, it's much more durable than OLED and it can apparently last longer.

So, it's basically the superb contrast and punchy colors of OLED mixed in with the durability and lifespan of LCD. Love it.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I remembered that Amazon's HDX tablets, that is their high-end ones, used something called Quantum dots technology. Or am I miss remembering?

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I remembered that Amazon's HDX tablets, that is their high-end ones, used something called Quantum dots technology. Or am I miss remembering?

Posted via the Android Central App
Quantum dots are actually in use now, but only as a backlight. LG's G4, V10 and G5 use a similar display tech.

Samsung's QLED approach is more like making them more OLED-like.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I have burn in on my S7 which i have had for 4 months. I use my phone for nav when I drive and have waze open. I can drive for up to 10 hours a day so its understandable.

Its the first phone that I have had this issue with,

Aishah Samsung

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Trust me, it's not exagerated. I had a Galaxy s6 Edge Plus which was only 5 months old. I had used the TomTom speed camera app and it had caused screen burn. I had got used to it even although it was quite unsightly but when I sold the phone via Mazuma the original price offered was £260. Then when I sent them the phone they reduced the offer to £110 because of the screen burn. This was all down to a single app which I had used for 2 or 3 hours per day for 5 months. Be warned!

Same model. One year old. Screen burn driving me insane. Didn't spent $1K on a phone to expect this. :-(

kevinx

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy s7 Edge. Bought at launch.

Pretty bad screen burn, which SEEMS to be from satnav use, as shows a yellowish 'shadow' of the app .

Had the same problem with my Galaxy s5.

Satnav is used maybe 2-4 hours per day.

:-(

usmaak

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife has had a Note 4 for about a year and a half and has pretty bad burn in, especially around the top. She uses her phone a lot. My Note 4 does not show burn in, but I don't use it as much.

I'm looking at new phones now. Between the LG V20 and the Google Pixel XL, I like the Pixel better, but am considering going with the V20 because the LCD screen, though not as good at blacks, will not burn in.

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Any thoughts on leaving a phone on"screen saver" mode overnight? Brightness all the way down and night light on. It moves the clock around but the on-screen navigation keys stay lit which I'm worried about. It's the pixel XL for what it's worth.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Any thoughts on leaving a phone on"screen saver" mode overnight? Brightness all the way down and night light on. It moves the clock around but the on-screen navigation keys stay lit which I'm worried about. It's the pixel XL for what it's worth.
I was about to reply there aren't any on screen navigation keys on the S7 (this is an S7 forum). Anyway, isn't there an option to hide the keys on pixel? You may want to ask the pixel forum for that.

catloverplayer

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Dang I didn't know about this issue. Just got an S7Edge as I went from a Note 7. Oh well I'm not planning on having my S7 that long as I'll be upgrading to the Note 8 in September.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Dang I didn't know about this issue. Just got an S7Edge as I went from a Note 7. Oh well I'm not planning on having my S7 that long as I'll be upgrading to the Note 8 in September.

You most likely won't even have the problem. My oldest phones are a Note 4 and a Note Edge. I haven't noticed any burn in on either of them if it is there at all.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, Samsung is working on a new display tech called QLED, or Quantum-dot Light-Emitting Diodes. They're planning to begin mass-production in a few years on their TVs.

Widely believed to be the next big new display tech after OLED, QLED is almost like OLED, in the sense that it is self-illuminated and doesn't require a backlight. However, because it isn't organic, it's much more durable than OLED and it can apparently last longer.

So, it's basically the superb contrast and punchy colors of OLED mixed in with the durability and lifespan of LCD. Love it.

I'm reserving my opinion of QLED until I see it in person and begin to hear far more informed opinions (than my own) on the underlying tech and potential longevity expectations of this brand new tech. There is so much hype over every years TV tech "improvements" that it's hard not to be skeptical. We will see as time unfolds.

Tachead7075

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
yeah? try this apps and tell me if dont see any shadow in status bar in blue color test if you have a device used for more than a year. I had S2, S3, S5, Note, Note2, Note3, all had burn mark after a year of use.

Dead Pixel Test
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....ossibussoftware.deadpixeltest&token=eTaqrCcm
I have had my S4 for 4 years. It has thousands and thousands of hours on it and was used every single day since I bought it until I got the S7 Edge about a month ago. It has zero burn in on any of the colour screens. I am not sure what you guys are doing to cause screen burn in but, it's likely a user error issue. Leaving stationary objects on the screen for hours on end(like using it as a GPS with the screen on for hours) will cause burn in on any screen on any device and is warned against by pretty much all manufacturers of LCD/LED screens so don't do it. If you do that is abuse. Under normal use(not abuse) it is not a problem for most users.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
You most likely won't even have the problem. My oldest phones are a Note 4 and a Note Edge. I haven't noticed any burn in on either of them if it is there at all.
Same here. My Note 4 doesn't have burn in and neither does my old S4.

I doubt my S7 EDGE will get it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
yeah? try this apps and tell me if dont see any shadow in status bar in blue color test if you have a device used for more than a year. I had S2, S3, S5, Note, Note2, Note3, all had burn mark after a year of use.

Dead Pixel Test
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....ossibussoftware.deadpixeltest&token=0TxDYE83
I had a Note 4 since launch day, I have now borrowed it to a friend, STILL no burn-in. My S4 I've also had since launch, also, no burn-in. Both phones are well over 2years old now. My S4 must be almost 4 years old now? Got it in April 2013.

Justin H1

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had 3 notes all havin burn in. Even a replacement refurnished unit I got had burn in. You notice it if you put a white screen full screen and look at the top where the status bar is.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the S7 Edge a month ago and had never heard about this issue. Now I am a bit worried. I usually keep the brightness on automatic mode and around the middle of the bar (never too bright, nor too low. I have also disabled the always-on display). I usually use the phone a lot during the day, but never more then 10 minutes straight without leaving it to rest a bit before my next usage.

Do you think my phone will be fine in the long term?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc