Anyone coming from HTC One M8

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the M8 for a little over two years, really enjoyed this phone. Just received the S7 Edge this morning and am setting it up. I'm starting to wish I waited to play with the HTC 10 before pulling the trigger. Maybe I'll get used to it, but the M8 non cased just felt so premium in hand compared to this. I'm running the edge with nova like I was the M8.

Anyone else feel like this after sourcing and begin to feel better about it?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a one m8 although I only kept it for a year. For me the build on the s7 edge is much better. I found the buttons poor and wobbly on the m8. I also found the metal dented easily when not in a case and it ended up looking a bit shabby.

My first Samsung since the s3 and I actually really like touchwiz this time around and would say I prefer it to sense. So all in all I'm happy and don't regret skipping the HTC 10 at all

Posted via the Android Central App

mededitornj

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I had my M8 for about two years. I really liked it, but I was ready for a change. I decided on the S7 Edge for the larger screen, larger battery, and wireless charging.

Once I saw the HTC10 specs I knew I made the right decision. I really like the wireless charging, no more fumbling around with USB plugs (-C or otherwise). The larger screen is great for my aging eyes and battery life has been fantastic. If needed, a quick charge gives me the extra power I need.

I don't regret my decision at all. I'm loving my S7 Edge.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Yes, had my M8 for about a year and a half. Only android phones I've had have been htc but this time the galaxy swayed me. It does feel more fragile in the hand, but I'm overprotective with my tech anyway so think it's worth it for all of the other advantages.

The one thing I do miss is that sense was a much nicer but of software than touchwiz, but I can live with it.

Still glad to hear they upped their game with the h10 and I hope it does well, not ruling out returning to HTC in the future!

miles4000

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Also just upgraded from HTC M8 to S7 edge. Was having some battery issues and slow response times with the M8. This is my first Samsung phone after having 2 HTC phones. Like the idea of the bigger screen, better battery w/ wireless charging, water resistant and works better with my Gear S2 watch. I do like the build quality of HTC phones and the 10 looks really nice. Also like the idea of limiting duplicate apps on the 10 going with stock Android apps. Overall im glad i went with the S7 edge so far. Just got it today.

stlcards504

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I got the S7 edge a week ago, coming from an M8. I would have liked to try the 10, but I'm on AT&T.

I do love the edge though. I liked the size of the M8, but overall, it's only slightly larger, with a much larger screen. The only thing I struggle with, is the placement of the keyboard. I wish there was a way to slide it up the screen about a quarter inch. The way I hold the phone, it is sometimes hard to hit the bottom row of keys. The HTC with the extra dead space at the bottom made this perfect. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but can be frustrating at times.

A few things are an adjustment, but nothing major. I have a Samsung phone through work, so I was already accustomed to how they run. Always put a different launcher in anyway, so it looks like my M8 did. Battery is much better, but I think I'm just on it too much to really take advantage. At least I don't have to have it plugged in constantly now, that was a pain.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I am coming from the M8 as well. I had it just under 2 years (I am not sure why it said I was eligible for an upgrade 2 months before the end of the contract but it did) and I needed to get a new phone because it was starting to act strange. I would push something on the screen and it would do a bunch of other functions even after a factory reset. Anyways, I figured this would be a good time to try a Samsung for the first time since it was just coming out when I needed a new phone and I kinda wanted a smartwatch anyways so the free S2 made it even better. Anyways, I know what you mean about the feel. The M8 does feel more solid in my hands but probably because I was used to this. I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on this S7 Edge and it feels pretty nice. I used Nova Launcher on the M8 and on this as well so everything is familiar and it just runs so smooth and quick. No regrets yet. This is the first phone I bought insurance on though because even though I only dropped the M8 one time that I can remember, that may be all it takes with this phone if it hits the edge just right.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from the m8, getting the htc 10. I love the m8, it's still going strong, but the htc 10 was definitely the right choice. I don't like the look of the edge. I played with it in best buy and it's just not for me. Htc fits my needs perfectly

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
After a few more days with my Edge, I'm still feeling a bit conflicted. Don't get me wrong, its a well put together phone, great battery, snappy, beautiful screen. Even though I'm running Nova Prime, I still don't care for the underlying system, the colors, etc. I'm going to go test drive the 10 at the Verizon store soon and see if it is all in my head.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
After a few more days with my Edge, I'm still feeling a bit conflicted. Don't get me wrong, its a well put together phone, great battery, snappy, beautiful screen. Even though I'm running Nova Prime, I still don't care for the underlying system, the colors, etc. I'm going to go test drive the 10 at the Verizon store soon and see if it is all in my head.

Have you any different themes? You can still run nova on top of it but change the look of the rest of it

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My buddy has an M8 and I've got an S6. I never used the M8 as a daily driver, but just from playing around with his phone using stock launcher I can say I definitely prefer the overall feel and design of sense of touchwiz. So I get what you're saying, I love my S6 but I'm not a fan of the underlying OS and use Nova. After using stock Marshmellow phone for 2 weeks (moto x play) I was sold my next phone won't be a Samsung. Samsung is by no.meana bad, I am just not a fan of the OS... You can't get away from TW even when using other launchers it still feels it's there.

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the M8 & M9 and I can say that it's a huge transition from sense to touch wiz. Aside from that I did enjoy the fact that htc phones felt more solid in the hand but changing from htc to samsung has had its hurdles but due to the lack of information on the M10 and in my opinion lack of real significant changes samsung was worth a try and so far I'm loving it battery life is much better and the little tricks and highlights of the S7 edge I enjoy it alot altho I do miss the solidness of HTC

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an HTC One M7 and I've got to say I love my S7 Edge. I can deal with the worse speakers (my M7 speakers were dying anyway) and the added water resistance has really come in handy. Also the battery life is fantastic I can regularly get 5.5-7 SOT and the screen is gorgeous. The launcher is fine with an Android 6.0 theme and I actually use the Flipboard like feature on the homescreen. The only thing I can honestly complain about is the power button being a little bit wobbly but besides that this is the best phone that I think is available right now. Little to no compromise.

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Man I have used the M8 as a daily driver.

I had been an iPhone user since the beginning of time. And I was a fan of its design and built but after 5 years of use I made the switch as it got stagnant. The colors the sounds everything about iOS got stagnant. Still is. So from iphone 5s I went to the Galaxy Note 3. It was different. It was good. But it was too big for me to carry. And I didn't like touchwiz either. I quickly switched to the Nexus 5. LOVED the software but the hardware and camera wasn't there.

Then, I got the M8. Oh man! That phone changed my perspective about the Android world. For some time I felt lost. But with HTC I found everything I was looking for. Best built. Design. Snappy software. The screen was amazing. Everything about that phone was amazing.

Used it for a year before I really started to get into smartphone photography. The M8 while producing great colors let me down with the resolution to work with. So I let go of it.

It is safe to say I have been lost ever since. Again. I've switched soooooo many phones. I didn't get the M9 because of the camera. I own an S6 edge right now. Only for the camera.

The built quality is so under rated. I agree with the OP that carrying an HTC flagship and Samsung Flagship without a case is night and day.

To be honest, I really wished HTC made the best camera in 2016. But to me, they didn't. Yet. The 10 is amazing. But the camera. Oh man. Wish it could've been the best.

So I am going to wait now. For the Google HTC nexus. Although both Google and htc aren't known to make the best cameras :p

But HTC. Is the best hardware and software combination! To me. Second to none!

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Man I have used the M8 as a daily driver.

I had been an iPhone user since the beginning of time. And I was a fan of its design and built but after 5 years of use I made the switch as it got stagnant. The colors the sounds everything about iOS got stagnant. Still is. So from iphone 5s I went to the Galaxy Note 3. It was different. It was good. But it was too big for me to carry. And I didn't like touchwiz either. I quickly switched to the Nexus 5. LOVED the software but the hardware and camera wasn't there.

Then, I got the M8. Oh man! That phone changed my perspective about the Android world. For some time I felt lost. But with HTC I found everything I was looking for. Best built. Design. Snappy software. The screen was amazing. Everything about that phone was amazing.

Used it for a year before I really started to get into smartphone photography. The M8 while producing great colors let me down with the resolution to work with. So I let go of it.

It is safe to say I have been lost ever since. Again. I've switched soooooo many phones. I didn't get the M9 because of the camera. I own an S6 edge right now. Only for the camera.

The built quality is so under rated. I agree with the OP that carrying an HTC flagship and Samsung Flagship without a case is night and day.

To be honest, I really wished HTC made the best camera in 2016. But to me, they didn't. Yet. The 10 is amazing. But the camera. Oh man. Wish it could've been the best.

So I am going to wait now. For the Google HTC nexus. Although both Google and htc aren't known to make the best cameras :p

But HTC. Is the best hardware and software combination! To me. Second to none!

IMO HTC design is fantastic but I feel that the S7 Edge is the best looking device of the year. It just has everything. Great battery, great screen, great performance, great camera, pretty good software, water resistance, and is being solidly supported. The HTC 10 is a solid performer but it falls short in comparison.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
IMO HTC design is fantastic but I feel that the S7 Edge is the best looking device of the year. It just has everything. Great battery, great screen, great performance, great camera, pretty good software, water resistance, and is being solidly supported. The HTC 10 is a solid performer but it falls short in comparison.

No doubt S7 edge is amazing. But the feel in hand, without a case, doesn't come near to HTC flagships. If you haven't used it one, try holding it for five minutes when you get the chance to do so. You'll see. It's a completely different story.

And it's not even about safety. The S7 and the S6 phones feel best in hand with a case. I've used mine without one too. But the experience isn't as pleasant. Of course they look great no doubt about that. But it's the feeeeeeel in hand. It's the solid feeling. It's the feeling of assurance that this is a sharp metal phone. You have to use it for a month to understand what I'm saying. You might have. If you have then you know what I'm talking about. No?

But of course. The S7 edge is amazing too. In every way. Except again, you see so many phones with the home button discoloration issue. I've seen so many S6 phones and note 5s too with the same issue. With everything Samsung does perfectly, building perfect home buttons isn't one of them.

Technobuffalo even published an article regarding this issue. Every S7 I see in a video now has thay discoloration going on. And I'm not exaggerating. I'll show you! See android authority. Technobuffalo. Phone arena. Everyone almost has this issue.

Having said that. You just know, that you will never ever ever experience these kinds of issues on an HTC flagship.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
No doubt S7 edge is amazing. But the feel in hand, without a case, doesn't come near to HTC flagships. If you haven't used it one, try holding it for five minutes when you get the chance to do so. You'll see. It's a completely different story.

And it's not even about safety. The S7 and the S6 phones feel best in hand with a case. I've used mine without one too. But the experience isn't as pleasant. Of course they look great no doubt about that. But it's the feeeeeeel in hand. It's the solid feeling. It's the feeling of assurance that this is a sharp metal phone. You have to use it for a month to understand what I'm saying.

But of course. The S7 edge is amazing too. In every way. Except again, you see so many phones with the home button discoloration issue. I've seen so many S6 phones and note 5s too with the same issue. With everything Samsung does perfectly, building perfect home buttons isn't one of them.

Technobuffalo even published an article regarding this issue. Every S7 I see in a video now has thay discoloration going on. And I'm not exaggerating. I'll show you! See android authority. Technobuffalo. Phone arena. Everyone almost has this issue.

Having said that. You just know, that you will never feel these kinds of issues on an HTC flagship.

I've had an HTC One M7 for 3 years and I've tried out the M8 in stores. They do feel great but the M7 is too sharp and the M8 is incredibly smooth to the point at falling rather easily. (And I don't even want to talk about the M9 that phone is a ugly step child) The same could be said about the S7 Edge but because of how it's shaped the metal side railings are easier to hold on to and glass on glass feels amazing. It's not a night and day difference to me. Both feel great but if I had to choose 1 to use without a case I'd pick the S7 Edge. The feel in hand is great, it's not sharp, and it isn't too smooth to feel like a slippery pebble. Yes the feeling of a completely cold metal phone is gone but this glass on glass with cool metal sides is just as good. Also I have a Back S7 Edge and haven't noticed that problem at all.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had an HTC One M7 for 3 years and I've tried out the M8 in stores. They do feel great but the M7 is too sharp and the M8 is incredibly smooth to the point at falling rather easily. (And I don't even want to talk about the M9 that phone is a ugly step child) The same could be said about the S7 Edge but because of how it's shaped the metal side railings are easier to hold on to and glass on glass feels amazing. It's not a night and day difference to me. Both feel great but if I had to choose 1 to use without a case I'd pick the S7 Edge. The feel in hand is great, it's not sharp, and it isn't too smooth to feel like a slippery pebble. Yes the feeling of a completely cold metal phone is gone but this glass on glass with cool metal sides is just as good. Also I have a Back S7 Edge and haven't noticed that problem at all.

Well. Okay.