08-19-2016 07:51 AM
56 123
tools
    it hasn't been bad to leave a phone on a charger for years. in fact, a phone draining is worse for the battery.
    This is simply false, as leaving the phone on a charger for a long period of time causes the most and longest bout of high heat, which kills batteries faster than anything.

The fallacy about being on a charger being bad is still spread around messages boards like it's 2010.
    I'm talking about actually charging, not sitting idle after it is fully charged and the power cutoff occurs.
    04-27-2016 08:15 AM
    It's been proven that leaving a phone on the charger is no big deal. The worst things for batteries are high heat / rapid discharge like via hotspot and also charge and discharge cycles. The more you run your battery down and charge it back up the more the life is diminished. That's why I usually charge it before it's under 30%

Posted via the Android Central App
    oneformula likes this.
    04-27-2016 08:36 AM
    This is simply false, as leaving the phone on a charger for a long period of time causes the most and longest bout of high heat, which kills batteries faster than anything.
    Leaving it on a charger is OK and superior to letting it drain with modern chargers and phones. They don't heat up overcharge.

04-27-2016 08:48 AM
    I'm talking about actually charging, not sitting idle after it is fully charged and the power cutoff occurs.
    Ah, OK. Gotcha. That makes more sense.
    xocomaox likes this.
    04-27-2016 11:22 AM
    Leaving it on a charger is OK and superior to letting it drain with modern chargers and phones. They don't heat up overcharge.
    I'm not talking about overcharge. It will heat up and kill battery longevity if you make it a habit of charging from 10-20-30% to 100% consistently. A good workaround, however, is to turn of Adaptive Fast Charge in settings. This will trickle charge the phone and cause a lot less heat for the battery.

I hope my point is a bit more clear to you now.
    04-27-2016 03:51 PM
    I'm not talking about overcharge. It will heat up and kill battery longevity if you make it a habit of charging from 10-20-30% to 100% consistently. A good workaround, however, is to turn of Adaptive Fast Charge in settings. This will trickle charge the phone and cause a lot less heat for the battery.

I hope my point is a bit more clear to you now.
    I'm not sure if that "over-heating" on fast charge will deteriorate battery life? I've read that it likely wouldn't, but there are mixed opinions all across the web. I think if it does affect battery life, it probably affects it by a very small amount only - therefore if fast charging is convenient for you, it's probably worth it.
    04-28-2016 06:09 AM
    I'm not sure if that "over-heating" on fast charge will deteriorate battery life? I've read that it likely wouldn't, but there are mixed opinions all across the web. I think if it does affect battery life, it probably affects it by a very small amount only - therefore if fast charging is convenient for you, it's probably worth it.
    overcharging? yes, that is bad. but fast charge won't allow for overcharging. also, fast charge 3.0 creates less head than 2.0 (and charges faster than 2.0!).
    04-28-2016 07:50 AM
    Here's my half-cent on the S7E battery:

1. I'm probably asking too much, but the phone will not last all day if I'm streaming audio off the charger. I listen to TuneIn every morning (with the screen off) during the week for hours while I'm getting ready, driving, and at my desk. I keep the phone plugged in at my desk and all is well. Maybe one day phones will get to a point where you can stream audio all day and it doesn't kill your battery. We aren't there yet.

2. If I'm not constantly streaming, this battery is great. I can be out for a full day and trust that I'll make it back home with plenty of battery to spare. If I am in a spot where it's really low, just drop it into ultra power saving mode to get home. This includes Google Play Music streaming downloaded content only. I notice that the battery does better when you set GPM to "Downloaded Only".

Overall, I'm very satisfied with what Samsung has done with the S7E, particularly with the battery life. It's not perfect, but it's much closer to anything I've had previously.
    04-28-2016 12:41 PM
    It absolutely does. Heat is the largest factor in battery cell corrosion. And Adaptive Fast Charge creates a lot of heat.
    04-28-2016 06:56 PM
    It absolutely does. Heat is the largest factor in battery cell corrosion. And Adaptive Fast Charge creates a lot of heat.
    fast charge 3.0 creates less heat than 2.0.
    04-28-2016 07:37 PM
    fast charge 3.0 creates less heat than 2.0.
    Okay, that's great but this phone does not use 3.0.
    04-28-2016 07:38 PM
    Okay, that's great but this phone does not use 3.0.
    heat management keeps getting better with quick charge technology. and 3.0 is not the end of these improvements.
    04-28-2016 07:45 PM
    I think no one is arguing whether heat causes battery corrosion etc - this is well proven. However, the question is whether the heat generated by fast charging actually significantly impacts battery life etc over the typical lifespan of the phone. For example, if fast charging affects battery life by 0.1% per five years, then most people would say that this is a negligible negative impact and the convenience of regular fast charging fully outweighs this.

Do you have any data that suggests a greater detriment to battery life specifically in the context of fast charging? For example, if there was evidence that fast charging affected battery life by 10% per year, i would be very concerned and would also wonder why samsung allowed a feature like this without giving clear warnings. I would also disable fast charging immediately and only use it for the occasions when i really need a fast top up.
    Wizzy likes this.
    04-28-2016 09:02 PM
    I think no one is arguing whether heat causes battery corrosion etc - this is well proven. However, the question is whether the heat generated by fast charging actually significantly impacts battery life etc over the typical lifespan of the phone. For example, if fast charging affects battery life by 0.1% per five years, then most people would say that this is a negligible negative impact and the convenience of regular fast charging fully outweighs this.

Do you have any data that suggests a greater detriment to battery life specifically in the context of fast charging? For example, if there was evidence that fast charging affected battery life by 10% per year, i would be very concerned and would also wonder why samsung allowed a feature like this without giving clear warnings. I would also disable fast charging immediately and only use it for the occasions when i really need a fast top up.
    Given that battery temps get pretty high when fast charging, using it to fully charge the phone is, in my opinion, too long of a period of time to have it at that temp. Likewise, playing a VR game (also raises temps considerably) for a long period of time would also damage the battery. You can look up safe and unsafe battery temperature for Lithium Polymer batteries to verify.

Also, Samsung has said Adaptive Fast Charge is a detriment to the battery if used consistently for long periods of time and they do recommend turning it off on occasion to preserve the cells.
    04-29-2016 05:54 AM
    huh... my samsung s7 edge does NOT get hot at all when fast charging.
    04-29-2016 07:13 AM
    Mine either.

04-29-2016 08:48 AM
    yeah, mine doesn't really get warm when fast charging. my handset gets much warmer when using it than it does when charging it (fast or non-quick charge)
    04-29-2016 10:04 AM
    no, you're not alone. I've done it every night since I had the HTC thunderbolt...I have a Note 4 now, and it's not even necessary. as stated before, most sane people tend to do this out of practice. people who run out of battery on most decent phones by noon don't see it as a priority.
    04-29-2016 10:43 AM
    Given that battery temps get pretty high when fast charging, using it to fully charge the phone is, in my opinion, too long of a period of time to have it at that temp. Likewise, playing a VR game (also raises temps considerably) for a long period of time would also damage the battery. You can look up safe and unsafe battery temperature for Lithium Polymer batteries to verify.

Also, Samsung has said Adaptive Fast Charge is a detriment to the battery if used consistently for long periods of time and they do recommend turning it off on occasion to preserve the cells.
    I'd just like to have the scientific data that shows how much of an effect fast charging has. There appears to be some mitigating factors for fast charging with the S7, including slowing down of the charging from around 50-60%, and particularly from 80-90%. Therefore the amount of time the battery is significantly (again, it's anyone's guess if it really is significant or not) "hot" for is probably less than 30-40 minutes. In my experience with the S7, the phone gets as warm playing certain games (not VR related) as it does during fast charging. I've actually noticed the phone getting hotter when navigating with "GPS alone" enabled than during fast charging. So if what you're saying is such a big deal, then there appear to be many other activities that can cause (significant) detriment to battery life.

From my reading around the internet so far, it seems to be speculation that fast charging produces battery temperatures that are detrimental to long term battery life. Again, if you can give me links to some reliable scientific resources on this topic, I'd be most grateful - it's an interesting topic.

Here's a news article that challenges whether fast charging or discharging is detrimental at all:
    Rapid charging and draining doesn’t damage lithium ion battery electrodes as much as thought | Engineering
    04-29-2016 10:52 AM
    Got a source for this?

Fast charging is fine so is normal. The degradation over the phones life cycle is negligible from what I've seen. I have the Exynos version which supports adaptive fast charging, gets a bit warm but more current pushed through is going to do that. Don't mind, not bad enough for it to be an issue.

We know that it doesn't support quick charge 3.0, but is there a comparison for the 2.0 and Samsung's adaptive fast charging? For both charge time and heat.
    04-29-2016 11:47 AM
    surfing the web, watching video, or making phone calls causes my phone to get warmer than quick charge does... i'm fairly certain the phone is meant to be used. and charged.
    04-29-2016 11:56 AM
    surfing the web, watching video, or making phone calls causes my phone to get warmer than quick charge does... i'm fairly certain the phone is meant to be used. and charged.
    The fast charging is warmest during the 0-50% period. Beyond 50-60%, the phone is only slightly warm, and from around 80-90%, it's barely warm at all. It never gets "hot" to me, but then I guess these feelings are all subjective. And yes, I agree that there are many other activities that make the phone just as warm as during fast charging. As noted above, some activities in fact make it warmer/hotter than during fast charging.
    04-29-2016 03:36 PM
    I have the exact opposite heat issues with battery temperature. So i'm not sure how to quantify that.
    04-29-2016 03:38 PM
    I have the exact opposite heat issues with battery temperature. So i'm not sure how to quantify that.
    i would quantify it as such: 2:1.

ssj100 and i are two, you are one.
    05-01-2016 03:27 PM
    All I know is that I'm continually impressed by the battery on this puppy. (I have Always on, well, always off. ☺)

Attached Thumbnails Always on Display and battery life-15115.jpg  
    oneformula likes this.
    05-01-2016 04:24 PM
56 123