Always on Display and battery life

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have to ask - am I the only one that charges my phone(s) overnight? I understand the OP did this as an experiment, but basically, the last thing I do before getting in bed is charge my phone so that it'll be at 100 in the AM. Have been doing it that way, well, since my first phone back in the mid-90's. I know I can't be alone in this practice though. :)

I almost never leave it on a charger overnight. I don't like to have long periods of charging the phone (bad for the battery), and it only loses a few percent sitting idle. I usually charge it throughout the day in small spurts.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I almost never leave it on a charger overnight. I don't like to have long periods of charging the phone (bad for the battery), and it only loses a few percent sitting idle. I usually charge it throughout the day in small spurts.

it hasn't been bad to leave a phone on a charger for years. in fact, a phone draining is worse for the battery.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have to ask - am I the only one that charges my phone(s) overnight? I understand the OP did this as an experiment, but basically, the last thing I do before getting in bed is charge my phone so that it'll be at 100 in the AM. Have been doing it that way, well, since my first phone back in the mid-90's. I know I can't be alone in this practice though. :)

I always charge it overnight - wireless with the night clock on from midnight until 0630.

I've noticed that a lot of review videos of different phones on different sites have gotten into this habit of showing a phone unplugged at, say 6pm, and then saying that it's got X % left & 6 million hours SOT at 2pm the following day having been off the charger for 20 hours. Obviously, the battery graph shows an almost straight line overnight...

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
it hasn't been bad to leave a phone on a charger for years. in fact, a phone draining is worse for the battery.

This is simply false, as leaving the phone on a charger for a long period of time causes the most and longest bout of high heat, which kills batteries faster than anything.

The fallacy about being on a charger being bad is still spread around messages boards like it's 2010.

I'm talking about actually charging, not sitting idle after it is fully charged and the power cutoff occurs.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It's been proven that leaving a phone on the charger is no big deal. The worst things for batteries are high heat / rapid discharge like via hotspot and also charge and discharge cycles. The more you run your battery down and charge it back up the more the life is diminished. That's why I usually charge it before it's under 30%

Posted via the Android Central App

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This is simply false, as leaving the phone on a charger for a long period of time causes the most and longest bout of high heat, which kills batteries faster than anything.

Leaving it on a charger is OK and superior to letting it drain with modern chargers and phones. They don't heat up overcharge.

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Leaving it on a charger is OK and superior to letting it drain with modern chargers and phones. They don't heat up overcharge.

I'm not talking about overcharge. It will heat up and kill battery longevity if you make it a habit of charging from 10-20-30% to 100% consistently. A good workaround, however, is to turn of Adaptive Fast Charge in settings. This will trickle charge the phone and cause a lot less heat for the battery.

I hope my point is a bit more clear to you now.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm not talking about overcharge. It will heat up and kill battery longevity if you make it a habit of charging from 10-20-30% to 100% consistently. A good workaround, however, is to turn of Adaptive Fast Charge in settings. This will trickle charge the phone and cause a lot less heat for the battery.

I hope my point is a bit more clear to you now.

I'm not sure if that "over-heating" on fast charge will deteriorate battery life? I've read that it likely wouldn't, but there are mixed opinions all across the web. I think if it does affect battery life, it probably affects it by a very small amount only - therefore if fast charging is convenient for you, it's probably worth it.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if that "over-heating" on fast charge will deteriorate battery life? I've read that it likely wouldn't, but there are mixed opinions all across the web. I think if it does affect battery life, it probably affects it by a very small amount only - therefore if fast charging is convenient for you, it's probably worth it.

overcharging? yes, that is bad. but fast charge won't allow for overcharging. also, fast charge 3.0 creates less head than 2.0 (and charges faster than 2.0!).

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's my half-cent on the S7E battery:

1. I'm probably asking too much, but the phone will not last all day if I'm streaming audio off the charger. I listen to TuneIn every morning (with the screen off) during the week for hours while I'm getting ready, driving, and at my desk. I keep the phone plugged in at my desk and all is well. Maybe one day phones will get to a point where you can stream audio all day and it doesn't kill your battery. We aren't there yet.

2. If I'm not constantly streaming, this battery is great. I can be out for a full day and trust that I'll make it back home with plenty of battery to spare. If I am in a spot where it's really low, just drop it into ultra power saving mode to get home. This includes Google Play Music streaming downloaded content only. I notice that the battery does better when you set GPM to "Downloaded Only".

Overall, I'm very satisfied with what Samsung has done with the S7E, particularly with the battery life. It's not perfect, but it's much closer to anything I've had previously.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It absolutely does. Heat is the largest factor in battery cell corrosion. And Adaptive Fast Charge creates a lot of heat.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
It absolutely does. Heat is the largest factor in battery cell corrosion. And Adaptive Fast Charge creates a lot of heat.

I think no one is arguing whether heat causes battery corrosion etc - this is well proven. However, the question is whether the heat generated by fast charging actually significantly impacts battery life etc over the typical lifespan of the phone. For example, if fast charging affects battery life by 0.1% per five years, then most people would say that this is a negligible negative impact and the convenience of regular fast charging fully outweighs this.

Do you have any data that suggests a greater detriment to battery life specifically in the context of fast charging? For example, if there was evidence that fast charging affected battery life by 10% per year, i would be very concerned and would also wonder why samsung allowed a feature like this without giving clear warnings. I would also disable fast charging immediately and only use it for the occasions when i really need a fast top up.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think no one is arguing whether heat causes battery corrosion etc - this is well proven. However, the question is whether the heat generated by fast charging actually significantly impacts battery life etc over the typical lifespan of the phone. For example, if fast charging affects battery life by 0.1% per five years, then most people would say that this is a negligible negative impact and the convenience of regular fast charging fully outweighs this.

Do you have any data that suggests a greater detriment to battery life specifically in the context of fast charging? For example, if there was evidence that fast charging affected battery life by 10% per year, i would be very concerned and would also wonder why samsung allowed a feature like this without giving clear warnings. I would also disable fast charging immediately and only use it for the occasions when i really need a fast top up.
Given that battery temps get pretty high when fast charging, using it to fully charge the phone is, in my opinion, too long of a period of time to have it at that temp. Likewise, playing a VR game (also raises temps considerably) for a long period of time would also damage the battery. You can look up safe and unsafe battery temperature for Lithium Polymer batteries to verify.

Also, Samsung has said Adaptive Fast Charge is a detriment to the battery if used consistently for long periods of time and they do recommend turning it off on occasion to preserve the cells.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis