So this just happened overnight

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Really, I can't see it. But you've got a warranty for a year. This 14 day return thing is total B. S. What good is spending many hundreds of dollars on a product that no retailers back up? I'm having the same problem with verizon. Im a 24 year customer, 5lines, always bought my phones through them thinking that if something happens, they'll back me up. WRONG. I had no issues for the first 2 weeks, then my brand new galaxy S7 edge just didn't want to connect to data any more. Verizon technical support did a great job at helping me out. They tried everything including factory resets, new sim card. It just wouldn't work. So they determined it was a faulty phone. They said "we're sending you another phone as good as new" . NO FREEKING WAY. I. paid for a new phone. You want to send me a rephurb? Then you owe me some cash . They gave me the 14 day exchange crap. I explained to them that the 14 day exchange period, is for someone that doesn't like the phone they bought and want something else, not for a defective product. Well, im so frustrated, that I sold the phone to a local electronic repair shop, took the hit, and from now on I'll buy through either swappa or ebay where, at least , if you get a lemon, youve got ebay buyer protection. AND IT WORKS. so as my contracts run out at verizon, im slowly changing over to T-mobile. I realize that their policy is the same, but im going to buy my phones first. NEVER BUY AT A CARRIER. In dying to know how you make out. PLEASE keep us posted. Dont accept bull****. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App
You must have missed reading the warranty brochure...

uploadfromtaptalk1463977760839.jpguploadfromtaptalk1463977767946.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1463977836462.jpg

This is pretty standard for smartphones, and consumer merchandise in general.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't they tell you what to send in? I. E. Phone only with no accessories?
In any event, even if they didn't, why would you send in a part that wasn't sold with the phone?

You should have removed it before sending it in.

What good would removing it do? Once you peel it off, it's junk.
And at least if it could have been repaired without replacing the screen, I'd still have it on there. Slim chance vs no chance...I'll take the slim.

Look, I know they won't do anything about the screen protector. I get it. All I'm saying is that it's bad business practice. I can see if I was sending it in because of something I did to break the phone. But obviously this was a manufacturer defect all the way. I spent $30 to protect a $700 investment, and Samsung can't be bothered to replace it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't they tell you what to send in? I. E. Phone only with no accessories?
In any event, even if they didn't, why would you send in a part that wasn't sold with the phone?

You should have removed it before sending it in.

I had to send a Moto X Pure Edition for repair/replacement under warranty. My instructions in the RMA email authorization specifically stated that any accessories (case, SD card, screen protector) needed to be removed prior to sending the device to the service center.

KBx315x

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Is your phone brand new? The answer is NO its not its 2 weeks old I never saw what the fuss was all about with the refurbished phones

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It's not new, you've used it.
As for the screen protector, you should never expect to get that back. Also because Samsung stated they reset the software, doesn't mean that this was the fix. Any repair I've ever seen comes with a wipe and a reset - so it is possible that they replaced the screen.
I've never seen a refurbished come back that isn't like new anyway (fully cleaned, protective stickers all in place etc) so I don't understand the fuss.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
What good would removing it do? Once you peel it off, it's junk.
And at least if it could have been repaired without replacing the screen, I'd still have it on there. Slim chance vs no chance...I'll take the slim.

Look, I know they won't do anything about the screen protector. I get it. All I'm saying is that it's bad business practice. I can see if I was sending it in because of something I did to break the phone. But obviously this was a manufacturer defect all the way. I spent $30 to protect a $700 investment, and Samsung can't be bothered to replace it.

If you had removed it you could claim a warranty claim through zagg and when they asked for you to send the old one back you would be able to and at that rate he would have only spent about $4-5 or so on shipping instead of $30 for a new protector.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is in NO WAY responsible for the accessories you purchased separate from the phone. It is ridiculous to expect them to replace it or give you money for it because they did not purchase it, you did. You can as for a replacement from the company that makes that screen protector which is obviously not Samsung.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Defective is defective, but warranty for manufacturer defects doesn't promise replacement with a brand new unit. It explicitly states that the manufacturer will repair or replace the unit, at their discretion. Is it unfair to send in a defective unit with 16 days use, and receive a refurbished unit with 16 days use in return, or have your unit repaired and returned? 14 day (or in some cases 30 day) return policies are extremely generous on the part of any manufacturer, really.

In the UK you can cancel the deal within 30 days or you are entitled to a full refund with NO deductions if a fault is discovered within 6 months. If it's discovered within 6 months then it's assumed to have been a fault from purchase. The manufacturer or retailer cannot make any deduction from the refund unless you bought something like a car.

The manufacturers warranty does not over-ride UK and EU law.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In the UK you can cancel the deal within 30 days or you are entitled to a full refund with NO deductions if a fault is discovered within 6 months. If it's discovered within 6 months then it's assumed to have been a fault from purchase. The manufacturer or retailer cannot make any deduction from the refund unless you bought something like a car.

The manufacturers warranty does not over-ride UK and EU law.
USA has no such requirement. You can buy a car, drive off the lot, then one minute later change your mind... The dealer doesn't have to take it back, and you could lose thousands if they buy it back. Some states do offer cooling off options but those are not generally included in the base price.

For phones, generally speaking, Carrier phones have a 14 day return period.

Also I have recommended buying through Costco multiple times for those who want new exchanges because they do offer new exchanges up to 90 days.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Really, I can't see it. But you've got a warranty for a year. This 14 day return thing is total B. S. What good is spending many hundreds of dollars on a product that no retailers back up? I'm having the same problem with verizon. Im a 24 year customer, 5lines, always bought my phones through them thinking that if something happens, they'll back me up. WRONG. I had no issues for the first 2 weeks, then my brand new galaxy S7 edge just didn't want to connect to data any more. Verizon technical support did a great job at helping me out. They tried everything including factory resets, new sim card. It just wouldn't work. So they determined it was a faulty phone. They said "we're sending you another phone as good as new" . NO FREEKING WAY. I. paid for a new phone. You want to send me a rephurb? Then you owe me some cash . They gave me the 14 day exchange crap. I explained to them that the 14 day exchange period, is for someone that doesn't like the phone they bought and want something else, not for a defective product. Well, im so frustrated, that I sold the phone to a local electronic repair shop, took the hit, and from now on I'll buy through either swappa or ebay where, at least , if you get a lemon, youve got ebay buyer protection. AND IT WORKS. so as my contracts run out at verizon, im slowly changing over to T-mobile. I realize that their policy is the same, but im going to buy my phones first. NEVER BUY AT A CARRIER. In dying to know how you make out. PLEASE keep us posted. Dont accept bull****. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm a Verizon customer who bought my Edge from them back in March. I cracked my screen about a week and a half ago and through their website, I submitted my claim and I was sent a brand new phone that arrived the next day and with a padded envelope to return the old one. I think their service is great.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer who bought my Edge from them back in March. I cracked my screen about a week and a half ago and through their website, I submitted my claim and I was sent a brand new phone that arrived the next day and with a padded envelope to return the old one. I think their service is great.

That's got to be more or less unheard of???

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Defective is defective. If they don't replace it, how is that good business for them? I've had this issue with a Samsung television about 8yrs ago. Can't see in the photo that there is an issue, but by op's description it seems like bad display panel.

They did offer to replace it - he just declined.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You submitted through insurance or warranty?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How about a check for $30...or a store credit...or a money order....might I remind you the phone was 15 days old...15

How the heck is it Samsung's responsibility to replace a part they didn't supply? Their warranty if for THEIR parts, not anyone else's. Seriously, be realistic. If you forget to remove a DVD before sending your BlueRay player in for repair, is it the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that for you, too?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
How the heck is it Samsung's responsibility to replace a part they didn't supply? Their warranty if for THEIR parts, not anyone else's. Seriously, be realistic. If you forget to remove a DVD before sending your BlueRay player in for repair, is it the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that for you, too?

In California or West Virginia, possibly :p

Consumer "protection" laws can easily get out of hand.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How about a check for $30...or a store credit...or a money order....might I remind you the phone was 15 days old...15

Absolutely not. First, quality screen protectors are much cheaper than that. $8 tops. Second, that'd be the same thing as if you purchased a new oil filter for a car, got in an accident and had to do an insurance claim - they're going to cover the value of the car, not the value of your non-value-added investments into the car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie