05-25-2016 07:00 PM
56 123
tools
    Is your phone brand new? The answer is NO its not its 2 weeks old I never saw what the fuss was all about with the refurbished phones
    I bought it brand new from Best Buy 16 days before the screen malfunction. So YES, it was new
    05-23-2016 05:17 AM
    It's not new, you've used it.
    As for the screen protector, you should never expect to get that back. Also because Samsung stated they reset the software, doesn't mean that this was the fix. Any repair I've ever seen comes with a wipe and a reset - so it is possible that they replaced the screen.
    I've never seen a refurbished come back that isn't like new anyway (fully cleaned, protective stickers all in place etc) so I don't understand the fuss.
    05-23-2016 05:28 AM
    What good would removing it do? Once you peel it off, it's junk.
    And at least if it could have been repaired without replacing the screen, I'd still have it on there. Slim chance vs no chance...I'll take the slim.

Look, I know they won't do anything about the screen protector. I get it. All I'm saying is that it's bad business practice. I can see if I was sending it in because of something I did to break the phone. But obviously this was a manufacturer defect all the way. I spent $30 to protect a $700 investment, and Samsung can't be bothered to replace it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    If you had removed it you could claim a warranty claim through zagg and when they asked for you to send the old one back you would be able to and at that rate he would have only spent about $4-5 or so on shipping instead of $30 for a new protector.
    05-23-2016 08:10 AM
    Samsung is in NO WAY responsible for the accessories you purchased separate from the phone. It is ridiculous to expect them to replace it or give you money for it because they did not purchase it, you did. You can as for a replacement from the company that makes that screen protector which is obviously not Samsung.

Aquila likes this.
    05-23-2016 08:47 AM
    Defective is defective, but warranty for manufacturer defects doesn't promise replacement with a brand new unit. It explicitly states that the manufacturer will repair or replace the unit, at their discretion. Is it unfair to send in a defective unit with 16 days use, and receive a refurbished unit with 16 days use in return, or have your unit repaired and returned? 14 day (or in some cases 30 day) return policies are extremely generous on the part of any manufacturer, really.
    In the UK you can cancel the deal within 30 days or you are entitled to a full refund with NO deductions if a fault is discovered within 6 months. If it's discovered within 6 months then it's assumed to have been a fault from purchase. The manufacturer or retailer cannot make any deduction from the refund unless you bought something like a car.

The manufacturers warranty does not over-ride UK and EU law.
    05-23-2016 11:33 AM
    In the UK you can cancel the deal within 30 days or you are entitled to a full refund with NO deductions if a fault is discovered within 6 months. If it's discovered within 6 months then it's assumed to have been a fault from purchase. The manufacturer or retailer cannot make any deduction from the refund unless you bought something like a car.

The manufacturers warranty does not over-ride UK and EU law.
    USA has no such requirement. You can buy a car, drive off the lot, then one minute later change your mind... The dealer doesn't have to take it back, and you could lose thousands if they buy it back. Some states do offer cooling off options but those are not generally included in the base price.

For phones, generally speaking, Carrier phones have a 14 day return period.

Also I have recommended buying through Costco multiple times for those who want new exchanges because they do offer new exchanges up to 90 days.
    Aquila and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-23-2016 12:48 PM
    Really, I can't see it. But you've got a warranty for a year. This 14 day return thing is total B. S. What good is spending many hundreds of dollars on a product that no retailers back up? I'm having the same problem with verizon. Im a 24 year customer, 5lines, always bought my phones through them thinking that if something happens, they'll back me up. WRONG. I had no issues for the first 2 weeks, then my brand new galaxy S7 edge just didn't want to connect to data any more. Verizon technical support did a great job at helping me out. They tried everything including factory resets, new sim card. It just wouldn't work. So they determined it was a faulty phone. They said "we're sending you another phone as good as new" . NO FREEKING WAY. I. paid for a new phone. You want to send me a rephurb? Then you owe me some cash . They gave me the 14 day exchange crap. I explained to them that the 14 day exchange period, is for someone that doesn't like the phone they bought and want something else, not for a defective product. Well, im so frustrated, that I sold the phone to a local electronic repair shop, took the hit, and from now on I'll buy through either swappa or ebay where, at least , if you get a lemon, youve got ebay buyer protection. AND IT WORKS. so as my contracts run out at verizon, im slowly changing over to T-mobile. I realize that their policy is the same, but im going to buy my phones first. NEVER BUY AT A CARRIER. In dying to know how you make out. PLEASE keep us posted. Dont accept bull****. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App
    I'm a Verizon customer who bought my Edge from them back in March. I cracked my screen about a week and a half ago and through their website, I submitted my claim and I was sent a brand new phone that arrived the next day and with a padded envelope to return the old one. I think their service is great.
    05-23-2016 12:52 PM
    I'm a Verizon customer who bought my Edge from them back in March. I cracked my screen about a week and a half ago and through their website, I submitted my claim and I was sent a brand new phone that arrived the next day and with a padded envelope to return the old one. I think their service is great.
    That's got to be more or less unheard of???
    05-23-2016 12:54 PM
    Defective is defective. If they don't replace it, how is that good business for them? I've had this issue with a Samsung television about 8yrs ago. Can't see in the photo that there is an issue, but by op's description it seems like bad display panel.
    They did offer to replace it - he just declined.
    05-23-2016 12:59 PM
    I bought it brand new from Best Buy 16 days before the screen malfunction. So YES, it was new
    That's your opinion, however, I go by the Swappa definition, meaning never used or activated.

So this just happened overnight-uploadfromtaptalk1464026360281.jpg
    05-23-2016 12:59 PM
    You submitted through insurance or warranty?
    05-23-2016 01:00 PM
    You submitted through insurance or warranty?
    Insurance, the phone was 2 months old. But it was pretty quick and easy. I have Total Equipment Coverage
    05-23-2016 01:21 PM
    How about a check for $30...or a store credit...or a money order....might I remind you the phone was 15 days old...15

How the heck is it Samsung's responsibility to replace a part they didn't supply? Their warranty if for THEIR parts, not anyone else's. Seriously, be realistic. If you forget to remove a DVD before sending your BlueRay player in for repair, is it the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that for you, too?
    05-23-2016 02:36 PM
    How the heck is it Samsung's responsibility to replace a part they didn't supply? Their warranty if for THEIR parts, not anyone else's. Seriously, be realistic. If you forget to remove a DVD before sending your BlueRay player in for repair, is it the manufacturer's responsibility to replace that for you, too?
    In California or West Virginia, possibly :P

Consumer "protection" laws can easily get out of hand.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2016 02:57 PM
    How about a check for $30...or a store credit...or a money order....might I remind you the phone was 15 days old...15

Absolutely not. First, quality screen protectors are much cheaper than that. $8 tops. Second, that'd be the same thing as if you purchased a new oil filter for a car, got in an accident and had to do an insurance claim - they're going to cover the value of the car, not the value of your non-value-added investments into the car.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2016 03:41 PM
    It WAS new. Until you used it for 16 days. Also, if it was a Zagg you could have removed it (like many agree that you should have) and replaced it under warranty. That's exactly what we did with my wife's S7. It had a Zagg glass protector and the screen broke. I got the phone replaced by insurance (Couldn't tell if it was new or refurb but it was in what appeared to be original packaging), peeled off the protector and had it replaced for free (except shipping).
    05-23-2016 03:50 PM
    No its 16 days used go to a car lot buy a new car drive it out and turn around and try to sell it back sorry about your luck
    05-23-2016 09:22 PM
    What good would removing it do? Once you peel it off, it's junk.
    And at least if it could have been repaired without replacing the screen, I'd still have it on there. Slim chance vs no chance...I'll take the slim.

Look, I know they won't do anything about the screen protector. I get it. All I'm saying is that it's bad business practice. I can see if I was sending it in because of something I did to break the phone. But obviously this was a manufacturer defect all the way. I spent $30 to protect a $700 investment, and Samsung can't be bothered to replace it.

It's not bad business practice. You expect Samsung to replace an after market accessory that you had put on by another manufacturer. No business does that.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.
    05-23-2016 11:57 PM
    I like everyone's analogies . Especially the ones where you say "you broke it"...once again, I didn't break this phone. It was a manufactures defect. You can sit here and tell me all the things I "should have done". Fact of the matter is...I paid $700 for an item, did the responsible thing by purchasing a screen protector, and the item broke 2 weeks after the purchase because of a Samsung defect. The multi billion dollar company chose not to reimburse me for the item I bought to help protect their product. I stand by my statement...it's bad business. Plain and simple. I'm not taking them to small claims court, I'm not starting a negative media campaign. I'm simply stating that it's bad business. I can't believe this thread has grown to the size it has. Now, feel free to continue to compare apples to oranges, make terrible analogies, tell me all the horrible mistakes I made, and continue with the woulda shoulda coulda .

05-24-2016 04:22 AM
    Best Buy won't be able to help you. Verizon won't let them and they won't help you beyond a beautiful new refurbished unit. Sucks, but this is basically everyone's standard now. Pathetic, yes..... Surprising, no.

Yup, the only way you'll get a new device is if it's so new there aren't any refurbished devices available to replace it with.
    05-24-2016 05:08 AM
    You can't in your right mind expect them to reimburse you for something that did not come with the phone. It is not bad business practice it is logical. Why should they be responsible for something that THEY did not make or purchase???? It's unreasonable.

05-24-2016 06:47 AM
    dad2noah isn't really listening to anything any of us say. His mind is made up that Samsung owes him a screen protector and nothing logical any of us say will ever change his mind. He has his own view of how things ought to be and standard business practices and ethics really aren't part of his world.

No more wasted words for him from me.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    05-24-2016 07:42 AM
    Especially the ones where you say "you broke it".
    Lol. Who even said you broke the screen?? I just read through the thread twice and everyone acknowledged the fact that it was a defective unit... We've merely been arguing against your (frankly absurd) opinion that a phone used for 16 days is somehow still "new" and that Samsung is somehow responsible for replacing something you failed to remove before returning the phone (and that you could have gotten replaced for free, plus shipping, from Zagg).
    wlonsdale likes this.
    05-24-2016 07:55 AM
    I like everyone's analogies . Especially the ones where you say "you broke it"...once again, I didn't break this phone. It was a manufactures defect. You can sit here and tell me all the things I "should have done". Fact of the matter is...I paid $700 for an item, did the responsible thing by purchasing a screen protector, and the item broke 2 weeks after the purchase because of a Samsung defect. The multi billion dollar company chose not to reimburse me for the item I bought to help protect their product. I stand by my statement...it's bad business. Plain and simple. I'm not taking them to small claims court, I'm not starting a negative media campaign. I'm simply stating that it's bad business. I can't believe this thread has grown to the size it has. Now, feel free to continue to compare apples to oranges, make terrible analogies, tell me all the horrible mistakes I made, and continue with the woulda shoulda coulda .

Well you're entitled to your opinion but most of us are in agreement that they shouldn't replace it. Just like they don't replace a DVD if you send it in a machine they're repairing. They could be caught up in so many "but I had this replace this"! The warranty is for the phone. Anything extra is tossed to the side.. Just like anything you send in for warranty or exchange or whatever.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    05-24-2016 02:03 PM
    The retailer only sells the phone. They have no skin in the game after that.
    05-24-2016 03:24 PM
56 123