S7 edge or the Nexus 6p? coming from an S6 edge.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey all!

So I've been using the S6 edge for quite a while now. And probably the longest I've ever used a phone in a while. I've been in a habit of changing phones often but the S6 edge Green Emerald got me hooked. And I've enjoyed the journey so far with an excellent camera screen design and software experience with Marshmallow. The battery life has been sufficient for me as well.

Recently I've been thinking of getting a tablet for browsing the Web and watching youtube videos. The S6 edge screen is too small to enjoy content and it's a hassle to turn on my laptop again and again. But then I got to thinking and asked myself whether it would be better to get a tablet (probably an iPad) or a phablet? I decided to go with getting a phablet.

Now.

I have a few questions I want to ask and need opinions on.

1. Will my need for a tablet get fulfilled by getting a phablet? Or the tablet is still a better tool for media consumption?

2. If I get a new phablet, which one would you suggest? The S7 edge or the Nexus 6p? I have been using touchwiz for a long time and I really want to go Stock this time. Having said that, I don't want to lose the compact size of the phone as well as the killer design and camera.

3. Or should I look at an iPhone 6s plus too? I have been an iPhone user in the past. Went from the 3GS to the 5s. Switched because I got tired of the same everything. Love android. But I really like the camera and the design of the iPhone.

4. So, the choice is between getting a tablet and keeping the S6 edge, getting the S7 edge, 6p or the 6S plus.

I want the best media consumption.
And the best camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It depends. Is it a problem for you to have more devices? I have found out that when I have a tablet I use my phone less. On the other side a tablet offers the best media consumption experience. If you need something that can work as a phone and also offer a big display (for smartphones), and you also do not want to have the additional hassle of syncing many devices, then a phablet is the better choice.
If you can afford multiple devices, then go with a tablet and a normal sized smartphone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Will my need for a tablet get fulfilled by getting a phablet? Or the tablet is still a better tool for media consumption?

2. If I get a new phablet, which one would you suggest? The S7 edge or the Nexus 6p? I have been using touchwiz for a long time and I really want to go Stock this time. Having said that, I don't want to lose the compact size of the phone as well as the killer design and camera.

3. Or should I look at an iPhone 6s plus too? I have been an iPhone user in the past. Went from the 3GS to the 5s. Switched because I got tired of the same everything. Love android. But I really like the camera and the design of the iPhone.

4. So, the choice is between getting a tablet and keeping the S6 edge, getting the S7 edge, 6p or the 6S plus.

I want the best media consumption.
And the best camera.

I came from a 6P and I really have no faults against it. It isn't a bad phone by any means. I really only got the S7 Edge because I got it for free.

1. This depends if you watch stuff on a phone right now often. If so you won't really see an issue (IMO). Going from the 6P to the S7 Edge didn't bother me in regard to consuming my media. For reference, I use about 30-50 GB a month (used to do over 100+ GB a month) on media via my phone.

2. You can get the S7 Edge or 6P here. Either works wonders. Do you care about updates? I would snag the 6P. If not and you like Samsung stuff (I am in love with Samsung Pay) then snag the S7 Edge. I am not using TW as I replaced it with the Google Now Launcher. I simply do this for my own personal taste which is loving the Google Now Launcher :).

3. If you have messed with any of the newer iPhones (6 and up) it is the same. I personally wouldn't but that is just me. The GF has one so I toy with it on occasion. It is the same old iPhone with a few (needed) tweaks in the software and better hardware.

4. If you want you could always wait for the Note 6 as well here. It should be coming shortly and it will most likely be a bigger S7 Edge with Note features "tossed in".

As for camera? That made my decision from the 6P final. Now ... I am not saying the 6P is bad but the Auto-Focus speed on this S7 Edge is ridiculous. I was able to take a ton of pictures of kids running around at Easter and had zero issues with blur. I could also take a picture on one side of the yard, whip the camera to the other-side and snap right away, and it was in focus. That had me very impressed.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
It depends. Is it a problem for you to have more devices? I have found out that when I have a tablet I use my phone less. On the other side a tablet offers the best media consumption experience. If you need something that can work as a phone and also offer a big display (for smartphones), and you also do not want to have the additional hassle of syncing many devices, then a phablet is the better choice.
If you can afford multiple devices, then go with a tablet and a normal sized smartphone.

No no I don't have a problem having multiple devices. And I don't care about syncing either.

I like how you said that the tablet offers the best media consumption. I'm just afraid that switching from 5.1" to 5.5" won't make much difference keeping in mind the extra cash I would be dishing out for the phone upgrade.

Although. I have used the note 4 too. And the difference in watching media on that phone and the S6 edge has been great. The note 4 was really enjoyable.

But thank you for the reply. It makes me lean towards getting a tablet.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I came from a 6P and I really have no faults against it. It isn't a bad phone by any means. I really only got the S7 Edge because I got it for free.

1. This depends if you watch stuff on a phone right now often. If so you won't really see an issue (IMO). Going from the 6P to the S7 Edge didn't bother me in regard to consuming my media. For reference, I use about 30-50 GB a month (used to do over 100+ GB a month) on media via my phone.

2. You can get the S7 Edge or 6P here. Either works wonders. Do you care about updates? I would snag the 6P. If not and you like Samsung stuff (I am in love with Samsung Pay) then snag the S7 Edge. I am not using TW as I replaced it with the Google Now Launcher. I simply do this for my own personal taste which is loving the Google Now Launcher :).

3. If you have messed with any of the newer iPhones (6 and up) it is the same. I personally wouldn't but that is just me. The GF has one so I toy with it on occasion. It is the same old iPhone with a few (needed) tweaks in the software and better hardware.

4. If you want you could always wait for the Note 6 as well here. It should be coming shortly and it will most likely be a bigger S7 Edge with Note features "tossed in".

As for camera? That made my decision from the 6P final. Now ... I am not saying the 6P is bad but the Auto-Focus speed on this S7 Edge is ridiculous. I was able to take a ton of pictures of kids running around at Easter and had zero issues with blur. I could also take a picture on one side of the yard, whip the camera to the other-side and snap right away, and it was in focus. That had me very impressed.

Yes man. I really like the camera on the S6 edge as well. The camera is the most important thing which got me hooked to Samsung. And it's the only reason why I'm hesitating towards getting the 6P. Although many reviews especially android authority have declared the 6p winner when compared to the S7. And I agree. But I also agree with when they say that the software is clunky and slow. And I take action shots like you do.

So the camera makes me want to stay with Samsung. Which rules out getting the 6P and the iPhone.

And no no I don't want to wait for the Note 6. Though I think it would be pretty amazing. But that's going to be too costly as cost IS a factor here. By then my S6 edge would be worthless almost.

So it's either the S6 edge and a tablet. Or an S7 edge.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
You could trial the 6P for a couple weeks. This is what I did. Ended up with an MXP but got the chance to check it out pretty thoroughly in those 2 weeks. Cost nothing to send it back either. That way you'd know whether it's going to work for you.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes man. I really like the camera on the S6 edge as well. The camera is the most important thing which got me hooked to Samsung. And it's the only reason why I'm hesitating towards getting the 6P. Although many reviews especially android authority have declared the 6p winner when compared to the S7. And I agree. But I also agree with when they say that the software is clunky and slow. And I take action shots like you do.

So the camera makes me want to stay with Samsung. Which rules out getting the 6P and the iPhone.

And no no I don't want to wait for the Note 6. Though I think it would be pretty amazing. But that's going to be too costly as cost IS a factor here. By then my S6 edge would be worthless almost.

So it's either the S6 edge and a tablet. Or an S7 edge.

What carrier are you on?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
What carrier are you on?

I live in Pakistan. There are no carriers here. We only get to buy unlocked phones. Which is a plus if you ask me.

So I can't try any phone out. I can just buy it. Upright. Unlocked. And sell it at a loss if I don't like it.

There are one or two carriers but almost every phone is available unlocked so people don't usually buy them through them.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I still keep my Nexus 9 for movies when I'm travelling. I find it benefits in both size and battery performance (not eating up phone battery which I may need later).

As for Nexus 6P or S7E. I think I would have got the 6P if it was slightly smaller. However I don't use the S7E for so much in the way of media consumption so if you want a phablet to comfortably watch movies on, go for the 6P.

The Edge screen can also make movies look worse if they are truly full screen. One point where the curved edges are a negative. If you have an aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom there is no problem though.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I still keep my Nexus 9 for movies when I'm travelling. I find it benefits in both size and battery performance (not eating up phone battery which I may need later).

As for Nexus 6P or S7E. I think I would have got the 6P if it was slightly smaller. However I don't use the S7E for so much in the way of media consumption so if you want a phablet to comfortably watch movies on, go for the 6P.

The Edge screen can also make movies look worse if they are truly full screen. One point where the curved edges are a negative. If you have an aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom there is no problem though.

So I'm observing a general trend of people keeping a separate tablet for their media consumption needs.

I guess it makes sense.

My S6 edge is pretty sufficient for my use. It does everything I want from a phone. The camera the design and the screen are beautiful.

So getting a 6p will kick my camera quality down. As well as pocketability and mobility. I'll gain better software experience though.

The S7 edge is good too. But it's just a bigger S6 edge. For me at least.

So the best thing would be to get a stock Google tablet and keep the S6 edge. That way I'll get to enjoy best of both worlds along with a bigger screen to enjoy media.

But I don't really like the build of Nexus 9. I like the 7 inch nexus 7 though. But it's only 7 inches. Samsung tablets I don't really trust. So I don't know which one I should get.

What's the best phone plus tablet combination to you guys? Assuming your phone is a Samsung 2015 or 2016 flagship?

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
If I was buying now, I'd get the Google Pixel C Tablet.

I still quite like my N9 though and they can be found cheap. Just make sure you get the 32GB version. The build is OK, the metal surround is solid and the grippy back doesn't look too cheap. Pixcel C if you have the money though.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and an S7 edge phone. Bought within a few weeks of each other. I love both. I use my tablet for reading and watching stuff and around the house. I also take it when I travel or to the beach etc. And I use my phone for texting and stuff when I'm on the go, at work or out and about where I don't take my tablet. The two devices also compliment each other very well as you can sync them for certain apps and media.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
If I was buying now, I'd get the Google Pixel C Tablet.

I still quite like my N9 though and they can be found cheap. Just make sure you get the 32GB version. The build is OK, the metal surround is solid and the grippy back doesn't look too cheap. Pixcel C if you have the money though.

Haha sadly no I don't have the money for that. I wish I could get one too. But the nexus 9 is alright I guess. Where I live it's for around $350 400. That doesn't seem worth it to me though.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and an S7 edge phone. Bought within a few weeks of each other. I love both. I use my tablet for reading and watching stuff and around the house. I also take it when I travel or to the beach etc. And I use my phone for texting and stuff when I'm on the go, at work or out and about where I don't take my tablet. The two devices also compliment each other very well as you can sync them for certain apps and media.

How much did the tab s2 cost you? Does it run the latest Samsung OS?