Google now keeps popping up randomly after use in water.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google now keeps piping up randomly after use in water.

My take on the water resistance of this phone is I never ever intend to get it wet (apart from a bit of rain) but I like the reassurance that if I do then it should be OK. If I wanted a camera to actually use regularly under water I would buy a waterproof camera or a waterproof case for the phone. I wouldn't be using it as it is

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

My take on the water resistance of this phone is I never ever intend to get it wet (apart from a bit of rain) but I like the reassurance that if I do then it should be OK. If I wanted a camera to actually use regularly under water I would buy a waterproof camera or a waterproof case for the phone. I wouldn't be using it as it is

Well said.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge | Samsung US

Samsung's site. First thing there....what does it say? There is a little "1" next to it as a disclaimer....here it is:

1Water resistant up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes; rinse residue/dry after wet.

If it was waterproof. it would say "waterproof". But it doesn't. Facts are facts straight from the horses mouth. And nowhere does it state you can "repeatedly" dunk your phone and it will still work after so many attempts.

Let me apologize in advance for my reply. I'm an engineer. Any wording on that page is just BS created by the marketing people and the lawyers. They always screw up engineering requirement and specifications. If you want to be technical you need to go into the specs, which says that Galaxy S7 is certified to IP68. The IP Code is an international standard for protection against ingress (stuff getting into equipment).

The first number is protection against solid particles. '6' means "Dust tight" "No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow." This is the highest rating against dust and solid particles.

The second number is protection against liquids. '8' means "Immersion 1 m or more" (1m = 39in) "The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and/or duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7." (IPx7 says at least 1 meter for 30 minutes) This is the 2nd highest rating against liquids. To move up to IPx9 you have to protect against high temperature water jets.

Ultimately, your phone is meeting the requirement of IP68 because there is no harmful damage from the water after it dries.

More info on IP code.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Samuel Kennedy

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
5 feet of measurement in the water. For a time 3o min. Can only mean one thing. The phone is working fine. Will you stop with technicalities. One or disclaimer doesn't matter. If samsung stands by that one line then I will believe them. 30 min max. And I only had in like 3 feet of water for 10 seconds.

posted from my galaxy s7edge

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Let me apologize in advance for my reply. I'm an engineer. Any wording on that page is just BS created by the marketing people and the lawyers. They always screw up engineering requirement and specifications. If you want to be technical you need to go into the specs, which says that Galaxy S7 is certified to IP68. The IP Code is an international standard for protection against ingress (stuff getting into equipment).

The first number is protection against solid particles. '6' means "Dust tight" "No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow." This is the highest rating against dust and solid particles.

The second number is protection against liquids. '8' means "Immersion 1 m or more" (1m = 39in) "The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and/or duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7." (IPx7 says at least 1 meter for 30 minutes) This is the 2nd highest rating against liquids. To move up to IPx9 you have to protect against high temperature water jets.

Ultimately, your phone is meeting the requirement of IP68 because there is no harmful damage from the water after it dries.

More info on IP code.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

And? If you constantly wet your phone, on purpose, whether it's ip68 or ipxx, and it fails, Samsung will not guarantee it. I bet you on that.

There is one thing doing it accidentally and another doing it on purpose. They say it's ip68 so you don't have to worry if it gets wet or you fall into a pool but intentionally abusing it can and will make it fail at some point.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

5 feet of measurement in the water. For a time 3o min. Can only mean one thing. The phone is working fine. Will you stop with technicalities. One or disclaimer doesn't matter. If samsung stands by that one line then I will believe them. 30 min max. And I only had in like 3 feet of water for 10 seconds.

Do what you want kid. It's your phone. But don't come crying when something guess wrong.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

No way in he[[ I'd take my expensive phone into water on purpose. That's just nucking futs. I don't care what Samsung says. Nice to know it may survive an accidental dunk, but on purpose? Crazy shiit.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

If Samsung is rating it IP68 then they should honor water damage during the warranty period. If they don't that bad business practices and opening them up to legal liabilities.

Edit: That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't honor their own certification

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You are wrong. It is waterproof up to 4-5feet for up to 30min. Don't post if you don't have accurate information.
No, it's not. "Waterproof" has a very specific definition. Read Samsung's documentation and you'll not find a single use of the word "waterproof." Read the warranty, and you'll find it excludes water damage. It's water resistant, and nowhere does Samsung suggest the phone is designed for underwater use. It's designed to offer protection in the event of an accidental exposure, not the repeated intentional use of the phone underwater.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

If Samsung is rating it IP68 then they should honor water damage during the warranty period. If they don't that bad business practices and opening them up to legal liabilities.

Edit: That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't honor their own certification

The world would be a much better place if people actually read warranties and manuals. Then they'd know that Samsung's warranty specifically excludes water damage, and not be so stupid as to believe the phone is "waterproof."

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

A water resistant phone is like flame resistant clothing. It's nice in an accident but I don't put it on and roll around in a campfire to test it.

FlyHigh365

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

That's what it is I believe. But I have tried that a little. I have dried it off a lot and I know that speaker is crap until it dries. Water came out when I blew into it. About and hour later it worked. But is their a way to disable that button until the phone fully dries? Then I can turn it back on?

Use an app called easy home.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah however there's no way for Samsung to verify how deep you went or how long it was under water. And that is the whole reason it will not cover that sort of damage

Samuel Kennedy

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

And? If you constantly wet your phone, on purpose, whether it's ip68 or ipxx, and it fails, Samsung will not guarantee it. I bet you on that.

There is one thing doing it accidentally and another doing it on purpose. They say it's ip68 so you don't have to worry if it gets wet or you fall into a pool but intentionally abusing it can and will make it fail at some point.

If they tell you it will work it will. Try it for yourself. It's gonna work.

Samuel Kennedy

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

No, it's not. "Waterproof" has a very specific definition. Read Samsung's documentation and you'll not find a single use of the word "waterproof." Read the warranty, and you'll find it excludes water damage. It's water resistant, and nowhere does Samsung suggest the phone is designed for underwater use. It's designed to offer protection in the event of an accidental exposure, not the repeated intentional use of the phone underwater.

Send me the link where it says that. I wanna see that the phone being in water won't make it fail. I want facts. Everybody thinks it won't work. I was told by a Samsung rep at best buy that it's not hurting the phone. If samsung says it's fine to be in water up to five feet. Then why not , who's gonna accidently drop their phone in exactly five feet of water ?? When is that really gonna happen ? The only problem I have seen is the speaker doesn't work for 2-3 hours. Samsung rep told me to put the phone under rice. Problem solved. Let me worry about the other. I want to know what I posted about. How to stop Google from popping up. What tips to do. Do you know?? If all your gonna do is tell me I'm wrong then don't respond. Water is the key word. Resistant it different from water proof. But if this phone compared to the iPhone works over the iPhone then that is the fact. That is the evidence. Their are people putting their phones underwater and washing their clothes with the phone in the pocket. You have no proof that the phone will die eventually. I will give you a million dollars if I see evidence of the phone finally dying after some 4 second dunks in water. The ports are sealed. The internals are sealed. I know what I'm talking about.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You want facts, Samuel? Just read all the posts on his and other forums from people who have gotten their phones wet and had problems after. And read the book that came with your phone, that says the warranty doesn't cover water damage. Then find one single written document from Samsung (not a statement from some anonymous "rep" who doesn't have to stand behind his words and has no liability when you ruin your phone) that says the phone is intended and designed to be used underwater. You won't find one, because Samsung doesn't claim that.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I don't know why anyone would use this phone underwater. Even if they say it's water resistant. They didn't do a Sony and show videos of people in swimming pools using the phone. It's purely a safeguard against a drop or spillage.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Samuel Kennedy

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would use this phone underwater. Even if they say it's water resistant. They didn't do a Sony and show videos of people in swimming pools using the phone. It's purely a safeguard against a drop or spillage.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

I'm not arguing. Look up water test iPhone vs samsung and it proves it. That's all I will say. I know what I'm doing. Try it for yourself. Comes out clean every time. This is the problem with most people. They are to skeptical. They won't trust a innovative idea without trying out for themselves. The phone has worked and worked perfectly for me. Even when water is on it. You taunt me with nothing. You have no room to talk if you haven't yourself tried it. I am done.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech