Always On Displaying Not Moving As Much After Update

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: New always on display update?

What is the point of Always On Display IF:
1. It turns off in your pocket or face down (which is good idea) BUT takes 1-3 seconds to turn on when pulled out of your pocket? By then I might as well just hit the lock screen button.
2. It stays on all night lighting up a room which arises concern about burn in.
3. It jumps around and distracts you when in your peripheral vision, making you think something popped up on the screen.

This feature would be so much better if it functioned like Nokia/Lumia/Microsoft's Glance Screen that basically does the same thing, but is dimmer and has a setting where it turns on instantly when pulled out of your pocket or when you hover your hand over the proximity sensor, then turns off on it's own after 10 seconds.

With this update, shouldn't we be more concerned with burn in since it is only moving a pixel at a time every minute? The font is thick enough that a lot of the same pixels are being activated even after it moves a pixel left, right, up, or down. Theoretically you will get burn in, just a thicker patch of burn in. Am I wrong here?

the point is... well, info.

but the jumping around as a distraction? flip it over. the delay to see time? turn off the feature that shuts down the AOD. lights up the room? turn it over.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I do. I love being able to glance at it for the time and month calendar (the setting I have it on) without having to turn on my phone and look at the time (it is so large I can see the time without being near enough to my phone to touch it) on the lock screen or unlock the phone to open the calendar app. Same with the battery percentage - can just glance at it to see how far down it is, including while it is being charged.

Same here. I thought it would be useless but now I really would miss it if it were off. I have it on a stand at my desk all day and seeing status and time is nice. Verizon Message+ indicates missed text's and of course you have missed calls, etc. too

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Always On Display No Longer Moving After the latest update from Samsung.

Always on display no longer moving around after the latest update from the Galaxy Apps store.

Guess I'll have to turn it off until they have a fix for it. Anyone else having this problem?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Mine has stopped moving around after this latest update. Guess I'll have to turn it off until there is a fix. :'(

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Always On Display No Longer Moving After the latest update from Samsung.

Just sat here and watched if for an hour and it has not moved one C hair let alone any pixels. :p

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I turned mine off. I think the newness has worn off. 😀 I had a Droid Turbo and Turbo 2 and was used to the moto display kicking in only when I had notifications, then I could swipe them away and never have to unlock my phone.

Since always on display, doesn't allow you to interact with the notifications, it's kind of useless to me.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I like the AOD but not if it's stuck in the same spot all the time.:'(

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine has stopped moving around after this latest update. Guess I'll have to turn it off until there is a fix. :'(

I too was wondering about this. The update said it moves a pixel each minute but that would still cause burn in you'd think...each number has to be several pixels wide so that one pixel would have to be on for several mins at a time.....I'm glad it's not jumping so far around now but am worried about the burn in....

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site

Mine moves but very very little and I think every hour it makes a big jump.

Posted via the Android Central App

piannetta

May 13, 2012
Visit site

I do. I love being able to glance at it for the time and month calendar (the setting I have it on) without having to turn on my phone and look at the time (it is so large I can see the time without being near enough to my phone to touch it) on the lock screen or unlock the phone to open the calendar app. Same with the battery percentage - can just glance at it to see how far down it is, including while it is being charged.

I agree, love this feature. I can't wear watches so having the time always there without having to press a button, or enter a passcode is really useful

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

the point is... well, info.

but the jumping around as a distraction? flip it over. the delay to see time? turn off the feature that shuts down the AOD. lights up the room? turn it over.

How to "turn off the feature that shuts down AOD"? I don't think that's possible?

Cplampman

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I love it now that it doesn't move every minute. I had to turn it off before because whenever it moved it would catch my eye and I'd be looking at it constantly. I also started using the Verizon messaging app and it shows notifications on there. I think it also changes locations after the screen gets turned on and turned back off. So during the day it's not at one location very long. I do somewhat worry about the screen burn but if it happens it happens.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

I too was wondering about this. The update said it moves a pixel each minute but that would still cause burn in you'd think...each number has to be several pixels wide so that one pixel would have to be on for several mins at a time.....I'm glad it's not jumping so far around now but am worried about the burn in....

This is what I was trying to say.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

The point of the update was for it not to be moving around so much. It is dimmer and moves a pixel every minute and fully moves every hour to prevent burn in. I actually like it better now because like others my eyes would constantly go to the screen every time it jumped.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I think you have a better chance of screen burn with the AOD this way then when it was moving around the screen faster.

santims

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

yea every minute i would look down at my phone thinking i had a notification or something but it was just my AOD moving around.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I think you have a better chance of screen burn with the AOD this way then when it was moving around the screen faster.

No it would have to remain in the exact same spot to have that result.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I love it now that it doesn't move every minute. I had to turn it off before because whenever it moved it would catch my eye and I'd be looking at it constantly. I also started using the Verizon messaging app and it shows notifications on there. I think it also changes locations after the screen gets turned on and turned back off. So during the day it's not at one location very long. I do somewhat worry about the screen burn but if it happens it happens.

THIS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007