Always On Displaying Not Moving As Much After Update

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: New always on display update?

I just updated mine. It looks the same, but it looks dimmer than it did be before. But I also just installed the April security update so I'm not sure which is responsible.

Posted via the Android Central App on the edge

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I personally think it fixed a small battery drain. It seems like it was too bright. The idea was that when in low light it will become faint, when in the pocket it would turn off completely.

My personal experience, was that when I was in low light, it still would be bright. Such as in a dimly lit bar.

I updated mine a few days ago, I am at a bar right now watching Royals and NBA, hockey, and display is vey faint.

Check it out, Seems like that is the way it was designed to work:

4ff57d40d02f40635c1310cd9da636fe.jpg

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

I just manually updated mine and the description said that the update updated the screen burn-in protection. I don't know what the app description was prior to this, so don't know if it changed, but it says that the image will move by one pixel every minute and move by a large amount every hour, which is different from how mine worked before (always moving by a large amount, don't know how often). Now mine is not jumping large around the screen, which is good because it did annoy me that it jumped so much so often. I do believe it is also dimmer, like you guys are saying.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I just tried it on mine and after five minutes, the display never dimmed. It stayed bright the entire time. I don't like this feature so i turned it back off.

I didn't notice the time moving at all but if it only moves by a pixel every minute, it's probably not noticeable.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I just tried it on mine and after five minutes, the display never dimmed. It stayed bright the entire time. I don't like this feature so i turned it back off.

I didn't notice the time moving at all but if it only moves by a pixel every minute, it's probably not noticeable.
In order for it to dim, it has to be in low light conditions.

xgibxrecon

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site

Does anyone else notice the time isn't moving anymore. Or by very Little. I just got my phone on saturday I heard people complaining about the time moving around to much. Mine does not I heard there was a new update

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Does anyone else notice the time isn't moving anymore. Or by very Little. I just got my phone on saturday I heard people complaining about the time moving around to much. Mine does not I heard there was a new update

I think it only moves a few pixels at a time now so won't be noticeable. But over longer timescales it will move to a different part of the screen. It's much better like this as it jumping around could sometimes be distracting before

Posted via the Android Central App

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I like the update. I normally have mine face down anyways but when I would have it face up it was distracting seeing it jump so far. I just now stared at it between a minute change and couldn't even tell it moved. It's also not AS bright. It still changes depending on the ambient lighting, but it doesn't seem as bright as it was before for me at least.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

Still no use for me until it gains 3rd party notification support.
I would need to see Messenger (Google), WhatsApp and GMail before it became useful. Otherwise it's a clock and I don't need that on all the time that badly.

jmunchies1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

The update is not working for me properly. Instead of turning off when you put the phone in your pocket, it's just going to the dimmed mode now. Then when you bring it back out, it take 15-30 seconds for the brightness to increase enough where you can see the clock in the daytime.

It does seem to turn off when I place the phone upside down, so I don't know why my pocket which is dark would be any different.

Anyone else experiencing this?

xgibxrecon

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site

What I do is leave power saving mode on during the day, and turn it off when charging. Power saving mode disables always on screen

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

What is the point of Always On Display IF:
1. It turns off in your pocket or face down (which is good idea) BUT takes 1-3 seconds to turn on when pulled out of your pocket? By then I might as well just hit the lock screen button.
2. It stays on all night lighting up a room which arises concern about burn in.
3. It jumps around and distracts you when in your peripheral vision, making you think something popped up on the screen.

This feature would be so much better if it functioned like Nokia/Lumia/Microsoft's Glance Screen that basically does the same thing, but is dimmer and has a setting where it turns on instantly when pulled out of your pocket or when you hover your hand over the proximity sensor, then turns off on it's own after 10 seconds.

With this update, shouldn't we be more concerned with burn in since it is only moving a pixel at a time every minute? The font is thick enough that a lot of the same pixels are being activated even after it moves a pixel left, right, up, or down. Theoretically you will get burn in, just a thicker patch of burn in. Am I wrong here?

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

Does anyone find this feature useful?

I do. I love being able to glance at it for the time and month calendar (the setting I have it on) without having to turn on my phone and look at the time (it is so large I can see the time without being near enough to my phone to touch it) on the lock screen or unlock the phone to open the calendar app. Same with the battery percentage - can just glance at it to see how far down it is, including while it is being charged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay