I HAVE UPDATED MY PHONE TO THE LATEST SOFTWARE. Before the update my fingerprint worked fine. Only after 5 or more times of wrong fingerprint it would take me to the backup password page. But after the update if I try unlocking the phone with fingerprint it takes me right away to the backup password screen. Some times it unlocks with my fingerprint sometimes it goes directly to my backup password screen. And before update in lock option it was only fingerprint but after update it shows fingerprint and password. But I have given only backup password.
    04-28-2016 10:16 AM
    Try to delete your print and retake it using all angles of your thumb and or finger. This way when you touch the home button it recognizes it easier. This is what I had to do and works much much better. Good luck.
    04-28-2016 06:06 PM
    It also makes it better when you register the same finger/thumb on all 4 of the fingerprints. I do this and I rarely have a print failure.
    04-28-2016 06:22 PM
    I have the same issues!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Lizmnl likes this.
    04-29-2016 08:16 AM
    Also with the new security update, if you're using anything other than the power button to lock the screen (for example a double tap app) it was always ask for your pin as opposed to finger print to unlock. Frustrating as I used to use an app to lock the screen with a double tap.
    04-29-2016 08:55 AM
    Welcome to the club.
    04-29-2016 08:56 AM
    Also with the new security update, if you're using anything other than the power button to lock the screen (for example a double tap app) it was always ask for your pin as opposed to finger print to unlock. Frustrating as I used to use an app to lock the screen with a double tap.
    This is the only Screen Off app that does work with double tap on Nova, and I believe that it's the only one that does not require you to re-enter a pin:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soft.screenoff

And there is a 5 day trial version here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...creenoff.trial

But it does work!
    04-29-2016 09:10 AM
    I don't find the fingerprint reader that reliable. Sometimes it seems to work all the time, other times it will just refuse to work. I'm trying to become more accustomed to entering my pattern if it fails first time rather than trying to persist with it and getting locked out!

Strangely my right thumb is the best and either of my index fingers work perfectly when first set up but then become increasingly inconsistent so I've ended up with just the thumb set up

04-29-2016 09:12 AM
    This is the only Screen Off app that does work with double tap on Nova, and I believe that it's the only one that does not require you to re-enter a pin:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soft.screenoff

And there is a 5 day trial version here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...creenoff.trial

But it does work!
    I just tried it but it seems to bypass security altogether. When you reopen the phone it doesnt ask for your fingerprint.
    04-29-2016 11:09 AM
    I would just try re-entering you prints and as someone else said, register the same finger multiple times. My experience has been just the opposite. I periodically use another finger or ask someone else to try it because it seems so forgiving with respect to position and angle that it makes me think it isn't working! I'd say it works 95% of the time on the first try and only ever fails if my thumb is on a weird angle.
    04-29-2016 12:32 PM
    I've found that the fingerprint scanner doesn't read your fp as well if you have dirt/sweat and/or lotion on your finger/hand. Just something to keep in mind.
    Lizmnl likes this.
    04-29-2016 12:42 PM
    I've found that the fingerprint scanner doesn't read your fp as well if you have dirt/sweat and/or lotion on your finger/hand. Just something to keep in mind.
    Yeah mine will never work after I leave the gym and I'm sure it's due to putting moisturiser on my face!

04-29-2016 12:44 PM
    I've had two that always have worked fine, and two others I kept having to delete and try again. All seem to be fine now. I just chalked it up to a bad input.

It also takes some time to get used to how to touch the home button so that it reads it right the first time.

04-29-2016 03:54 PM
    I just tried it but it seems to bypass security altogether. When you reopen the phone it doesnt ask for your fingerprint.
    There's a 4 second delay. The screen goes black and the capacitive buttons are still lit. In those 4 seconds your device is unlocked. But after the capacitive buttons go dark you will then need your fingerprint scanned again.
    04-29-2016 08:28 PM
    Yes, this happens to me. It also happens if my thumb is extremely dry or slightly damp. I haven't done it yet but I would like to try registering my thumb print in each of those conditions to see if it will work even better.
    04-29-2016 09:37 PM
    Don't pick your nose before using the fingerprint scanner. Don't ask me how I know this.

04-29-2016 10:00 PM
    It only happened to me twice in a row the other night that it didn't accept my fingerprint and went to the passcode box (obviously, after restarting the device doesn't count since you have to use the passcode then), but that was actually cool because it was the first time I had ever tested my anti-virus app's security feature where it takes a photo of the person trying to break into the phone and e-mails it to you with the location information. (I never used a security feature on my previous phone, but am using it on this one because my finger is on the button already anyway to turn the screen on.) I had actually forgotten about the feature until I got the two e-mails with a couple really horrible photos of me!

I use the fingerprint unlock all the time, even at home where fingerprint is turned off thanks to the Smart settings, as it replaces the swipe of the screen when the fingerprint isn't needed. I hardly ever have trouble with it not recognizing my thumb or index finger (I programmed both of them since I use them both, depending on how I am holding the phone) on the first try.

I would say reprogram your fingers, as maybe you had dry skin, a cut, etc. when you set them. Be sure to move your finger in different ways when programming it, including getting different spots up and down the tip of the finger on the sensor.
    04-30-2016 01:49 AM
    The "Screen off and lock" app by Katecca works flawlessly for me.

I have the paid version and typically use it to turn screen off. However, I also have used Nova launcher in the past to create a double tap to turn off screen. I haven't tried setting a double tap command yet to see if I get any security issues, but just using the app button itself (which looks like an app icon you plant wherever you want on your home screens) causes no issues with fingerprint scan to unlock. I repeat, I do not use the power button to lock the screen, yet I can still unlock with fingerprint by using this particular app.

04-30-2016 07:08 AM
    Just tried out setting a double tap gesture and using the screen off and lock app.

Was able to unlock with fingerprint scanner. No problem.

04-30-2016 07:09 AM
    I find my fingerprint sensor only works reliably if I actually press the home button to unlock the phone. If I just place my finger on the sensor, it works perhaps half of the time.
    04-30-2016 10:55 PM
    The passcode screen just popped up on me after I accidentally took my thumb off the fingerprint sensor too soon (phone moved as I was trying to use it while using my tablet while lying down), so maybe you're just not placing your finger on the sensor for long enough.

It works fine for me whether I turn the phone on via waving my hand over the sensor or the power button or the home button (my usual way).
    05-01-2016 09:24 PM