Due to some dead pixels on my screen, I'm getting a replacement S7e. When I went from my S4 to S7e, the easy transfer doesn't transfer everything but of course there are more settings in the S7e. Since I'll be replacing it with the same phone model, how can I get all the settings transferred to minimize re-setup time? Things like screen lock, security, which apps are disabled, etc. All the small things. Thanks.
    04-29-2016 08:53 PM
    Due to some dead pixels on my screen, I'm getting a replacement S7e. When I went from my S4 to S7e, the easy transfer doesn't transfer everything but of course there are more settings in the S7e. Since I'll be replacing it with the same phone model, how can I get all the settings transferred to minimize re-setup time? Things like screen lock, security, which apps are disabled, etc. All the small things. Thanks.
    When I got my replacement handset, I used Smart Switch. It really didn't restore most of my phone 'settings'. I found that I still had to go in and change things. Some things transferred, others didn't. It seemed hit or miss.

I run a 3rd party launcher, so that saved me the hassle of redoing my icons and layout as that program had a backup. All in all, it wasn't 'too' bad.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-29-2016 09:43 PM
    Thanks Str0ntium. That's what I thought. I can get some stuff restored but I'll still need to do a lot of restoring myself. That's too bad. I've never had an iPhone but do you know if when you upgrade is the new phone mirrored/identical to your old phone? That would be the dream, haha.
    04-30-2016 01:26 AM
    Never had and never will have an iPhone :)
    04-30-2016 10:36 AM
    This is an area where the iPhone is superior. With an iTunes backup you can restore a replacement with all apps, settings, wallpaper, data, etc. An exact mirror. The only thing you have to do is to log back into apps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-30-2016 11:21 PM
    This is an area where the iPhone is superior. With an iTunes backup you can restore a replacement with all apps, settings, wallpaper, data, etc. An exact mirror. The only thing you have to do is to log back into apps.

That would be nice, since the Easy Switch and cloud backup only gets you 75% of the way, and a lot of apps and app data is not transferred over, as well as most phone settings.
    05-01-2016 12:21 AM
    Considering there is so little to customize on the iphone, this is not a surprising revelation...
    dm3ready likes this.
    05-01-2016 06:55 AM
    If you use Nova Launcher you should back up your settings and then restore. It will at least have a blank placemarker for widgets and folders. Since I limit myself to 2 screens its easy to remember where all my apps go. Additionally, I found it helpful to do screenshots of my screens to refer to afterwards.

Str0ntium and jneusch like this.
    05-01-2016 08:01 AM
    If you use Nova Launcher you should back up your settings and then restore. It will at least have a blank placemarker for widgets and folders. Since I limit myself to 2 screens its easy to remember where all my apps go. Additionally, I found it helpful to do screenshots of my screens to refer to afterwards.

+1 for the screenshots. I use Nova, as well. I have yet to meet a stock launcher that I liked.
    05-01-2016 08:04 AM
    When I got my replacement handset, I used Smart Switch. It really didn't restore most of my phone 'settings'. I found that I still had to go in and change things. Some things transferred, others didn't. It seemed hit or miss.

I run a 3rd party launcher, so that saved me the hassle of redoing my icons and layout as that program had a backup. All in all, it wasn't 'too' bad.
    I've also found Smart Switch to be very hit and miss. I first transferred from an LG G4 to the S7E, then used SS again after a month or so when I did a DFR. In both cases it was not a very good restore in terms of percentage of data restored. Really pretty bad. In contrast, when I used LG's similar program it had been much better.

Is it known whether the desktop Smart Switch works any differently (better) than the phone versions only? In both of the cases I mentioned, I restored from my SD card and not the desktop.
    Str0ntium likes this.
    05-01-2016 08:17 AM
    +1 for the screenshots. I use Nova, as well. I have yet to meet a stock launcher that I liked.
    Nova is great.
    05-01-2016 08:19 AM
    I've also found Smart Switch to be very hit and miss. I first transferred from an LG G4 to the S7E, then used SS again after a month or so when I did a DFR. In both cases it was not a very good restore in terms of percentage of data restored. Really pretty bad. In contrast, when I used LG's similar program it had been much better.

Is it known whether the desktop Smart Switch works any differently (better) than the phone versions only? In both of the cases I mentioned, I restored from my SD card and not the desktop.

Good question. I'd like to know this, as well.
    05-01-2016 08:21 AM

Yeah, was not impressed. However, with Nova, it reduced my time to about 1hr.
    05-01-2016 08:24 AM