New T-Mobile S7 Edge Update 5/4/16

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The headphones as an antenna seemed silly. I thought it was bs

Galaxy S7 Edge: Silver Titanium
Posted via the Android Central App

That's always been the case on phones with FM Radio (unless it has a dedicated antenna). It needs something to act as an antenna, and the headphones cable is the perfect substitute on a phone.

mgm83

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way around it? Just wondering if it would work without the headphones

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could re-code the app (not sure if the 'wire' check is in the OS or the radio app, though) and make it skip it asking for the headphones, but just like an FM radio with no antenna, chances are that if you do use it like that you'll only get static.

datgoldmember

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been using TuneIn Radio Pro on this phone from day one on my early delivered pre-order,which is FM radio..I was under the impression there would be an actual samsung radio app maybe..but either way great job T-Mobile on the update and the May security.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the Google pixel C and the May security update arrived on my S7 Edge before it arrived on Google's own tablet. This is similar to what happened last month with the April security update, T-Mobile sending out to us before the people with Nexus phones had gotten it. I think it's hilarious that twice now, we've gotten security updates before the Nexus devices, since that's one of the things they always slam Samsung for.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the Google pixel C and the May security update arrived on my S7 Edge before it arrived on Google's own tablet. This is similar to what happened last month with the April security update, T-Mobile sending out to us before the people with Nexus phones had gotten it. I think it's hilarious that twice now, we've gotten security updates before the Nexus devices, since that's one of the things they always slam Samsung for.

It personally doesn't bother me. Google is known for fast updates to the OS. Security patches are the new thing and since they have come out Google hasn't always been first. I believe people are confusing fast OS updates and thinking it applies to security patches. As long as they get it out within the first two weeks there is no harm really... At least it didn't bother me with my 6P as I knew it was always going to come. If I wanted it any faster I could side load within the first few days.

When Android N comes out you can bet the Nexus / Google devices will get it long before Samsung / carrier variants due to all the modifications they have to test out.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been using TuneIn Radio Pro on this phone from day one on my early delivered pre-order,which is FM radio..I was under the impression there would be an actual samsung radio app maybe..but either way great job T-Mobile on the update and the May security.

TuneIn Radio is NOT FM Radio. It has FM Stations, yes, but it's still a radio streaming app; it needs a valid internet/data connection to work. The added FM Radio feature doesn't use data or cellular network at all, it's just a radio receiver for OTA FM Radio signals. Also, just like a normal FM Radio, it's one-way only: the phone isn't outputting anything, just receiving and decoding the FM signal.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't say... mine lasts all day I no longer notice the battery percentage anymore. Just unplug in the morning, go about my day, charge at night. But the description did say it included system improvements and optimizations (although that's pretty much generic text for every update).

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody noticed that the SD Card notification after powering up is gone? I've reset once or twice since getting the update and I'm pretty sure I haven't had to swipe away that notification like I usually do.

datgoldmember

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
TuneIn Radio is NOT FM Radio. It has FM Stations, yes, but it's still a radio streaming app; it needs a valid internet/data connection to work. The added FM Radio feature doesn't use data or cellular network at all, it's just a radio receiver for OTA FM Radio signals. Also, just like a normal FM Radio, it's one-way only: the phone isn't outputting anything, just receiving and decoding the FM signal.

Thanks for the clarification

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma