Don't like pressing the Home button? Np. Just swipe on it.

srikat

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Here's a handy tip: If you are like me and do not like pressing the physical Home button you can use a free app called All in one Gestures to set a upward swiping gesture with finger on the Home button to simulate its press. Super handy and works awesome.

1) After installing the app go to its settings, then to SWIPE section, enable it, then tick "Bottom Area" under 'Edges'.

2) [Optional] Tap the hamburger menu icon, go to Personalization. Then disable the Toast Message and set Vibration intensity to 0.

3) Swipe Area > Edge Preference. Set the Opacity to 0%.

via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_IDXEPNyhM

Last edited:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thanks. I've tried the easy home app which uses the home buttons capactive layer but it doesn't work very well so I might try this.

Posted via the Android Central App

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Here's a handy tip: If you are like me and do not like pressing the physical Home button you can use a free app called All in one Gestures to set a upward swiping gesture with finger on the Home button to simulate its press. Super handy and works awesome.

After installing the app go to its settings, then to SWIPE section, enable it, then tick "Bottom Area" under 'Edges'.

[Optional] Tap the hamburger menu icon, go to Personalization. Then disable the Toast Message and set Vibration intensity to 0.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_IDXEPNyhM

This was the one thing I missed on this phone coming from a Blackberry Classic/BB10. I'll have to check out this app.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This app wants access to everything on the phone which is ridiculous. No way I'd install under those conditions. And in-app purchases besides??

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The home button is built into the phone, an app to simulate the home button press is pointless.

The app will sit there running in the background monitoring whether the home button is swiped. Using memory and resources.

Again...pointless.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
So you are supposed to be able to tap (not depress) the home button and use it like a capacitive button right?

I could not get it to work at all.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
This app wants access to everything on the phone which is ridiculous. No way I'd install under those conditions. And in-app purchases besides??

Welcome to every other app in the Google Play Store. One of the big reasons I didn't want to switch from Windows Phone to Android, but unfortunately had to.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I installed it to give it a shot, and from what I gather you swipe up from your button (essentially swiping up from the bottom edge of your screen) which will then take you home. So it really has nothing to do with the home button, it just so-happens that the home button is in the swiping area.

It does work well for me, I'm not sure if I will keep it long but it does work. One thing I did was adjust the opacity so there isn't that annoying shaded dark area at the bottom of my screen where you swipe.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So you are supposed to be able to tap (not depress) the home button and use it like a capacitive button right?

Check out the easyhome app for that functionality. I was disappointed by how well it worked but it does exactly what you say

srikat

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
The home button is built into the phone, an app to simulate the home button press is pointless.

The app will sit there running in the background monitoring whether the home button is swiped. Using memory and resources.

Again...pointless.

I find it very useful and in fact essential for my needs. The good thing about Android ecosystem is the vast number of apps and freedom to do what everyone wants. If you list out the apps you use on your mobile, my guess is that at least 1 or 2 of those would be pointless, to me.

No. You are supposed to rest your finger on the home button and slide the finger up (at least that's how I've set mine to work).

... One thing I did was adjust the opacity so there isn't that annoying shaded dark area at the bottom of my screen where you swipe.

Good point. I forgot to mention this in my OP. Will edit and add.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I used this app to modify the volume down button to do nothing (hate accidentally pressing it!) and volume up to just display volume panel since I only ever use it to modify media volume and notification volume.

This worked, but now when screen is off the phone makes a noise when I hit the volume up button. This kind of sucks as I'll hit the button in my pocket sometimes. Had to remove it. :'(

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to every other app in the Google Play Store. One of the big reasons I didn't want to switch from Windows Phone to Android, but unfortunately had to.

Not quite all but point taken. Some have reasons for asking for the permissions they do, this should not need anything.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not quite all but point taken. Some have reasons for asking for the permissions they do, this should not need anything.

This is the full list of permissions according to the play store. All of them are necessary for using the full functionality of the app - because the app sets up gestures to handle a lot of tasks, because of the functionality included in, "Launch of an application or shortcut". GPS is needed as part of the in app purchases, photos/camera would be needed in case you launch photos/camera, storage for obvious reason - the app writes and reads data, running apps because you can use or modify the recent apps button, all apps with connectivity need wifi and bluetooth access, but this can also potentially control those, but all of these permissions are completely in line with what this app does. Just not perhaps in line with how you want to use it. And if that's the case, if you're on 6.0 or above, you can simply turn off the permissions you don't want it to have. Realizing of course that it might break stuff that's tangentially connected.

Version 5.7 can access:
In-app purchases

Device & app history

• retrieve running apps

• precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • approximate location (network-based)

Photos/Media/Files

• modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage

Storage

• modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage

Camera

• take pictures and videos

Wi-Fi connection information

• view Wi-Fi connections

Other

• modify secure system settings
  • draw over other apps
  • modify system settings
  • reorder running apps
  • full network access
  • view network connections
  • close other apps
  • run at startup
  • expand/collapse status bar
  • control vibration
  • change your audio settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change network connectivity
  • control flashlight
  • toggle sync on and off
  • read sync settings
  • modify global animation speed
  • read Google service configuration

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I installed this app and used it for a couple of days. I really enjoyed it, but it was killing my battery. It was showing around 30 to 35% battery usage.

I emailed the developer about the status for a fix about a week ago, but have not heard back.

I'm eager for an update to resolve this issue, but can't use it until this is fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App on the edge

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I installed it to give it a shot, and from what I gather you swipe up from your button (essentially swiping up from the bottom edge of your screen) which will then take you home. So it really has nothing to do with the home button, it just so-happens that the home button is in the swiping area.

Bingo. And if you use Samsung Pay's quickpay feature, the two swipe up from the bottom gestures sort of get in each other's way. You could set this to swipe in from one of the edges, but I'd just rather press the home button. I don't know anyone who wore out a Samsung home button.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay