Why do two Wi-Fi access points with the same SID cause re-connections?

winterbalm

May 5, 2016
Visit site
two Wi-Fi access points with same SSID cause reconnections

I have a specific Wi-Fi problem with two access points using same SSID. My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge keeps reconnecting to the network every several minutes. It started happening with my previous Galaxy S6 Edge, and it did not happen with my previous phones. I don't have such problem at home or any other place, only at the office.

I suspect it has to do with the two access points. Our system administrator has the same suspicion but is unwilling yet to fiddle with frequencies, instead he told me that my desk is located right between the access points and I should find a way to ignore one of the access points.

I tried to look for an app that would do it, but to no avail.

I have the Smart Switch turned off, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning in "Location" - "Improve accuracy" are also turned off.

The whole problem is frustrating because I can't enjoy streaming music, every reconnection stops the streaming.

Does anybody have a solution? How should Wi-Fi frequencies by modified in order to solve my problem?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: two Wi-Fi access points with same SSID cause reconnections

Welcome to the forums. Can't one just be renamed? That way you can connect to Work router 1 and ignore work router 2.

winterbalm

May 5, 2016
Visit site

Thank you :)
It can't be renamed because they purposefully have the same SSID so that we have one Wi-Fi network over our entire office which covers an entire wing of a building.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

Stop using your phone, when you should be working? ;) but on a serious note, the SSID names has no effect to the network configuration, the wifi network can still operate as one using seperate SSID's and its always wise to have different names if you have multiple ones anyway. I can't see why you would have to use the same SSID name in an office. Unless the admin is lazy and cant be bothered to tell the users on one side of the office to use a particular SSID name :)

winterbalm

May 5, 2016
Visit site

i guess it is just more practical to have a single Wi-Fi name, it would not be very practical to have to switch between networks when moving through office
anyhow they will not change their Wi-Fi network layout because of me and my musical needs
one thing I noticed in Wi-Fi analyzer that all available networks, maybe ten or so, use the same frequency, I don't know if it has something to do with the problem

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

i guess it is just more practical to have a single Wi-Fi name, it would not be very practical to have to switch between networks when moving through office
anyhow they will not change their Wi-Fi network layout because of me and my musical needs
one thing I noticed in Wi-Fi analyzer that all available networks, maybe ten or so, use the same frequency, I don't know if it has something to do with the problem

My work has 5 access points and my phone clicks through them seamlessly. Can you forget one? Maybe use spotify and download a playlist

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I bet you're in just the right spot for them to alternate between being the strongest signal.

I don't know how to stop the phone from preferring the strongest signal.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

That makes no sense because switching between access points is the same whether they're named the same or not. If you're connected to point A and walk to the other side of the office near point B, you're going to switch access points whether they're both named Company C or one is named Company C 1 and the other Company C 2. Having two with the same SSID is not a good idea and any router manufacturer will tell you this. If they really want an actual one Wi-Fi network, they should get a strong antenna that can reach the whole office or use a Wi-Fi repeater.

And, yes, definitely change the channel the network is on to one that isn't used! (I am assuming you meant channel, like 11, and not frequency, like 2.4 GHz.)

winterbalm

May 5, 2016
Visit site

Bag of Leaves, you are right, they use the same channel, that is the appropriate term, although technically it boils down to frequency.
I guess they just don't want to have several Wi-Fi networks named differently and explain which network one should use when located near the entrance and which near the fire exit. Maybe a strong antenna or a repeater costs more than a router so they went for a cheaper or practical option as they saw it at the time.
I will ask them to blacklist my MAC on one of the routers and see if it helps, I don't need music streaming when I am not behind my desk anyway.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are watching a wifi analyzer, you'll see that signal strength varies and the access points power goes up and down. As it does this your phone is picking the stronger of the two signals and switching to the stronger one. Being located right between the two its a constant process. Having different ssid's would allow you to forget one, but since that is not an option, your going to have to live with it. There could might be a way to ignore a network based on the mac address, but not on the stock firmware that i am aware of. Different channels wouldn't help.