S7 Edge died

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So, I preordered 2 Edge phones. One for me and the other for my son.
The other day he FB messages me saying his phone screen would work intermittently and then stopped altogether. He tried rebooting in safe mode before it stopped working completely and it was no different. Tried restarting and that didn't work either.
Took it to the Sprint repair center and they ordered a brand new phone. Luckily they didn't have any refurbs.

Sounds like the same issue I had with my S5 that ended up being the digitizer.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I preordered 2 Edge phones. One for me and the other for my son.
The other day he FB messages me saying his phone screen would work intermittently and then stopped altogether. He tried rebooting in safe mode before it stopped working completely and it was no different. Tried restarting and that didn't work either.
Took it to the Sprint repair center and they ordered a brand new phone. Luckily they didn't have any refurbs.

Sounds like the same issue I had with my S5 that ended up being the digitizer.

May I ask, and by no means is this meant to be rude. Is your son younger? Teens?
My 15 year old brother in law has gone through 4 phones in the last year, blaming it on the device, yet he takes his case off to make a fashion statement at school, and drops it constantly. He was just purchased an S6 brand new and a lifeproof case. The case came off in 3 days.
He has already dropped it and cracked the screen since.
Not saying YOUR son would do this, but is it possible he has been rough on it and dropped it, and caused the issues?

wbj97

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I feel your pain... My S7 edge died today. Screen would not come on at all. Calls were coming in but i could not answer. At the same time the power button also apparently failed. Spent over an hour with tech support trying to get the phone to power down....absolutely no luck. All button sequences failed. Unable to shut it down, enter maintenance mode, or restart. Tech support said they have never seen this issue and had no more ideas. Had my phone since March 13..... Went straight into an otterbox case and was honestly never dropped. going to try and get a new one....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain... My S7 edge died today. Screen would not come on at all. Calls were coming in but i could not answer. At the same time the power button also apparently failed. Spent over an hour with tech support trying to get the phone to power down....absolutely no luck. All button sequences failed. Unable to shut it down, enter maintenance mode, or restart. Tech support said they have never seen this issue and had no more ideas. Had my phone since March 13..... Went straight into an otterbox case and was honestly never dropped. going to try and get a new one....

Did you try the soft reset, pressing the Power and Volume down button for about 10 seconds?

wbj97

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Did you try the soft reset, pressing the Power and Volume down button for about 10 seconds?

Thank you for trying to help. Yes, tried this numerous times with Tech support. The power button appears to have actually failed at the same time. We were completely unable to get a button sequence to work. Seems like I had the worst kind of failure; screen completely black(inop) and power button failure. Never had an issue with the phone up until this happened. Was in a case from day one....never dropped or got wet. Just stopped working. I'm not a heavy app user and had everything up to date. I had last updated everything 3 days prior with a restart. No indication of any issues. Going to be sending it in for warranty .... worst part now is not having a phone for 6-8 days. Next time i'm going to keep my old phone. Lesson learned the hard way there.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for trying to help. Yes, tried this numerous times with Tech support. The power button appears to have actually failed at the same time. We were completely unable to get a button sequence to work. Seems like I had the worst kind of failure; screen completely black(inop) and power button failure. Never had an issue with the phone up until this happened. Was in a case from day one....never dropped or got wet. Just stopped working. I'm not a heavy app user and had everything up to date. I had last updated everything 3 days prior with a restart. No indication of any issues. Going to be sending it in for warranty .... worst part now is not having a phone for 6-8 days. Next time i'm going to keep my old phone. Lesson learned the hard way there.

Ohh, so yes, it seems you had a bad combination of failures at the same time, sorry, I hope you can get a replacement soon.

wbj97

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Ohh, so yes, it seems you had a bad combination of failures at the same time, sorry, I hope you can get a replacement soon.

Definitely appears to be some kind of a hardware failure.... yeah I hope it comes soon! Its nice to be able to call 911 when u need it..... :eek:

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Had this happen to an s4. Samsung sent a replacement overnight.

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
May I ask, and by no means is this meant to be rude. Is your son younger? Teens?
My 15 year old brother in law has gone through 4 phones in the last year, blaming it on the device, yet he takes his case off to make a fashion statement at school, and drops it constantly. He was just purchased an S6 brand new and a lifeproof case. The case came off in 3 days.
He has already dropped it and cracked the screen since.
Not saying YOUR son would do this, but is it possible he has been rough on it and dropped it, and caused the issues?

No. He's pretty gentle with his phones. He'll be 21 this month. He had an S4 before this one so that should tell you something.