Always on display

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Anybody leave this on all the time?
I thought it was a cool idea, because it was similar to my Motorola Droids that I have had in the past. So I left AOD on...

Then...I realized you could not interact with the notifications like my Droids...and it used a little more battery than I thought it should.

So I turned it off and haven't used in weeks.

But...i received the Verizon update for my S7E from last week and now I am giving AOD another try.

srikat

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Initially no, then realized having the time and date show up all the time is handy, turned it back on, then got a Gear S2 Classic watch and disabled AOD on the phone again.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Trying AOD off this week. I realized that I can still get notifications by running my finger across the edge, but even then I usually still just turn on the phone. Since I wear a watch, I don't really need to have AOD on my phone but we'll see.

Will experiment with night clock display settings this week too and see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had it on since I got the phone (March 21st). I love it - it does EXACTLY what I need it to, tell me the time. I don't need it to notify me for every.single.thing that my phone is doing. That would actually cause for a more battery drain, in my opinion. It lets me know when I got a text and if I missed a call. Good enough for me!!

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to, but since the battery life went to hell I save the bit I can by keeping it off. Was very handy.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Impact on battery is only 0.5%/hr. I leave mine on all the time since I find the battery life, time, and calendar useful.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't. I just don't see much use out of it.. Especially since it doesn't show notifications for all apps.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I do. I have it on a clock and calendar, which is super handy and more helpful than turning the lock screen on or looking at my watch (a regular analog watch). I love it!

srikat

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
How you finding the watch? Thinking of getting it myself

It is very nice and handy. Being able to see the notifications of emails, SMS and WhatsApp when not near the phone (in another room of the house) is extremely convenient. I have ordered Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless bluetooth headphones and once I get them, will transfer some music to the watch and play them wirelessly when going for a walk, and use the music controls on the watch. All in all, good build quality, nice bright screen, 1.5 days of battery life and excellent touch response.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had it on since I got the phone (March 21st). I love it - it does EXACTLY what I need it to, tell me the time. I don't need it to notify me for every.single.thing that my phone is doing. That would actually cause for a more battery drain, in my opinion. It lets me know when I got a text and if I missed a call. Good enough for me!!

I totally agree. I don't need my phone to control my life or to notify me for every last detail. I'm leaving it off this week. There is still the notification light and I've also been swiping along the edge screen to see notifications, which is more than enough for me. Being a long-time Blackberry user, I got addicted to the blinky red light and realized how by instinct I grabbed my phone way too quickly and often :)

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to leave it on all the time, then I noticed one day that the display stopped moving around the screen every minute. It used to change location (to prevent screen burn in I guess), but it no longer does this. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Did Samsung change the interval of the display movement?

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it, but due to where I work it's rather useless. Rural area, large metal warehouse, you keep phones on airplane mode till you go outside at break or your battery drains in no time.

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I turn it off during the day and I only use it when it's charging at night (as a clock). I turn it off during the day because my Garmin Forerunner smartwatch shows me the time and all the notifications I need. In fact, it shows me more details than even the AOD will show! The only thing my watch doesn't show me is the phone's battery life. Thankfully that's not something that I fret about with this phone, so I don't feel the need to check that unless I'm actually using the phone.

Rheller82

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I had it on for a week to try, but since my phone vibrates for notifications and I have a watch for time its more of a gimmick for me.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is just my opinion, but I think that a lot of people who say you don't need it are missing one of the main points. I don't feel like I need the time and date on my phone when it's sitting on my desk, but I do feel like it looks super cool. I think my phone with a calendar and clock always on the screen, sitting beside just a regular phone with nothing turns more heads and looks a lot jazzier.