05-13-2016 02:50 PM
158 ... 34567
tools
    I never heard as many complaints which is surprising. You'd think the bigger screen would be even more delicate.

I know it is glass. I know common sense warns us glass breaks. But you know there is glass even bullets won't penetrate. I honestly think they could have and should have made the glass screen and back more impact resistant.
    05-11-2016 10:42 AM
    I know it is glass. I know common sense warns us glass breaks. But you know there is glass even bullets won't penetrate. I honestly think they could have and should have made the glass screen and back more impact resistant.
    The difference is they tell you "This glass is bulletproof" so you expect that. Samsung did not say anything about this glass being any kind of special shatterproof or anything glass. If they were like the Droid Turbo 2 and advertising it left and right then I could see someone being deceived but they did nothing like that.
    05-11-2016 10:58 AM
    Yes you're right but they know phones are sometimes dropped and should make a good faith effort to build the phone at least as tough as previous curved versions. I haven't read as many complaints about the others.

Reasonable people can disagree but I think they should have built it tougher... And you know what? I bet the s8edge will be tougher.
    05-11-2016 11:02 AM
    Yes you're right but they know phones are sometimes dropped and should make a good faith effort to build the phone at least as tough as previous curved versions. I haven't read as many complaints about the others.

Reasonable people can disagree but I think they should have built it tougher... And you know what? I bet the s8edge will be tougher.
    Tough effort how? Glass is glass. You're asking for them to make it tougher but yet aren't providing how they could do this without either making the phone heavy or very bulk -- which most would then complain about. There HAS to be some give somewhere. Either in the Form of either having a very heavy / thick phone, not using glass and going plastic but then quality of the screen goes to crap, or simply using glass and telling everyone it is glass and expecting your customers to get a case (because we all know a TON more people get a case versus not).
    05-11-2016 11:09 AM

It's difficult to mount an argument against you since it's so easy to say "they should have built it tougher". That's also sort of missing the point, which is that they built the phone they did, and did not make any claims about durability. They talked about beauty, form, etc.

So, yeah, maybe they SHOULD have. But they didn't. They didn't set any expectations that their glass was any stronger/tougher/more resilient than any glass used on any other phone.

If durability really is top on someone's list they should already know that the S7 doesn't fit the bill for them (since those people also know that glass is not a resilient material).
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-11-2016 11:15 AM
    I was on another forum earlier and was reading all kinds of horror stories about how the screens on these phones are cracking at nothing. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting the word out before it happens to you or to discourage people from buying this piece of junk.

Two weeks after buying and treating this thing like a piece of Gold, I get out of my car, drop the phone about a foot from the ground and the screen is shattered. I had an S3 and I dropped that phone at least 100 times and its still as good as new. I think Samsung should stand behind their $800 product and give some customer support as Iphone would if they developed a defective product. This phone has issues and Samsung is NOT stepping up to the plate and backing it.

Please share you experiences with your phone as i would like to start a Class action lawsuit to force Samsung to fix their faulty product.
    So if you buy a car and drive it off the lot and run in to a shopping cart at 5 MPH and it dents your bumper the car manufacture is at fault because the bumper should be tougher? I am not trying to be funny but using your logic I can apply it to basically anything I buy and break myself.

The bottom line is you are the one who dropped it so just own the fact that you broke it and stop trying to blame someone else for it. Hopefully you had insurance on the phone and can get it replaced.
    mhinc likes this.
    05-11-2016 11:20 AM
    So if you buy a car and drive it off the lot and run in to a shopping cart at 5 MPH and it dents your bumper the car manufacture is at fault because the bumper should be tougher? I am not trying to be funny but using your logic I can apply it to basically anything I buy and break myself.
    When it applies to cars, what he probably wants is to bring back the big black rubber bumpers. Those are much more resistant to small dents are cheaper to fix / replace than the painted bumpers that most cars use now.

I had a small paint scratch (went down toto the plastic) on my painted bumper. The body shop wanted $500 to repair it as they had to repaint the entire bumper. An old rubber bumper would have been fine.
    05-11-2016 11:29 AM
    I was on another forum earlier and was reading all kinds of horror stories about how the screens on these phones are cracking at nothing. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting the word out before it happens to you or to discourage people from buying this piece of junk.

Two weeks after buying and treating this thing like a piece of Gold, I get out of my car, drop the phone about a foot from the ground and the screen is shattered. I had an S3 and I dropped that phone at least 100 times and its still as good as new. I think Samsung should stand behind their $800 product and give some customer support as Iphone would if they developed a defective product. This phone has issues and Samsung is NOT stepping up to the plate and backing it.

Please share you experiences with your phone as i would like to start a Class action lawsuit to force Samsung to fix their faulty product.
    You are blaming Samsung for you being careless. You forgot you had the phone on your lap and got out of the car. The phone dropped on the ground and the display cracked. How is this Samsungs fault? This is not a defect in any way.

I did the same thing with a Nexus 4 a few years ago. Got out of the car and the phone fell face down onto the street. Just had a few minor pits in the glass but I used that phone another year and it was fine.

Maybe you just need to use a different phone such as Note 5. I have a Note 5 and have it in a Otter box, It has a huge lip on the front of it so it will not fall onto the screen.
    05-11-2016 11:32 AM
    I had an S3 before this S7E. I couldn't tell what the back was made of because it lived in an otter box commuter. This one lives in a UAG. They're both as slippery as a watermelon seed naked!

Thx look of glass is useless to me, I can't see it anyway. Metal would seem to compromise radio reception.
    05-11-2016 12:43 PM
    My note 5 has a cracked back near the corner and I have no idea what caused it. I personally didn't drop it so either someone in my family did and didn't tell me or it was just the pressure of it in my pocket and possibly something else was in the pocket? No clue... just picked it up once and noticed the glass was smashed in. It certainly to me looks like pressure from something rather than falling since there is an obvious dimple in the glass. Had the Note 3 for 2 years before this with no physical damage and had no case with either phone.

I understood that this phone was certainly more fragile...one of my biggest issues and why I almost got the LG V10 instead and while I wish it was stronger, I certainly wouldn't blame Samsung. I'm pretty sure it was my fault...I just wish they could take more of a beating. I do have a physical damage warranty so for $75 (deductible), I can get it replaced. I just threw a thin case on it for now that hides the cracked back glass and will probably use the warranty when the Note 6 comes out so I can sell it for top $. Hopefully the Note 6 is somehow able to up the durability...but unfortunately I doubt it. I've had a couple friends with S7's get water damage after taking a picture under shallow water.
    michellebjohn likes this.
    05-11-2016 01:05 PM
    You don't buy a car expecting to crash it, so why buy a phone expecting to drop it? Even if they were to reinforce it with stronger materials, that would probably drive up the cost of the phone. People always complain as if they know all the right answers, but if that's true, why don't they do something about it? If all you're going to do is complain, maybe you shouldn't have a phone to begin with.
    05-11-2016 01:10 PM
    I had an S3 before this S7E. I couldn't tell what the back was made of because it lived in an otter box commuter. This one lives in a UAG. They're both as slippery as a watermelon seed naked!

Thx look of glass is useless to me, I can't see it anyway. Metal would seem to compromise radio reception.
    Metal wouldn't work with the fast wireless charging.
    05-11-2016 02:07 PM
    No. I am saying that if a fall of the edge7 is more likely to produce damage than a fall of any other phone ever made then it isn't tough enough. It should be somewhere in the middle.

I'm not an engineer but corning has some. I am positive a tougher glass could have been designed. I'm tempted over simplify and say make the glass thicker but perhaps a second layer that could be replaced cheaper and easier than the digitizer layer might work.

I mean I am sure you would agree that if the screen cracked from thumb pressure when typing it is too delicate. Everything is a matter of degree. Samsung has tested everything and if it breaks easier than any other phone they've ever built by a wide margin imo it should be tougher.

Can we agree it should survive a 5 mm fall onto a pillow? If so why not 10 mm? Why not a carpet? At what point do you draw the line? That is basically where we disagree. I think they set the bar too low. They never claimed it was a tough phone nor did they warn this is the most delicate smart phone ever built so be especially careful. Or perhaps this phone is designed to withstand a 1 mm fall or whatever.

Now if you say caveat emptor remember the huge successful lawsuit over a cup of coffee that was too hot?
    05-11-2016 04:56 PM
    No. I am saying that if a fall of the edge7 is more likely to produce damage than a fall of any other phone ever made then it isn't tough enough. It should be somewhere in the middle.

I'm not an engineer but corning has some. I am positive a tougher glass could have been designed. I'm tempted over simplify and say make the glass thicker but perhaps a second layer that could be replaced cheaper and easier than the digitizer layer might work.

I mean I am sure you would agree that if the screen cracked from thumb pressure when typing it is too delicate. Everything is a matter of degree. Samsung has tested everything and if it breaks easier than any other phone they've ever built by a wide margin imo it should be tougher.

Can we agree it should survive a 5 mm fall onto a pillow? If so why not 10 mm? Why not a carpet? At what point do you draw the line? That is basically where we disagree. I think they set the bar too low. They never claimed it was a tough phone nor did they warn this is the most delicate smart phone ever built so be especially careful. Or perhaps this phone is designed to withstand a 1 mm fall or whatever.

Now if you say caveat emptor remember the huge successful lawsuit over a cup of coffee that was too hot?
    Highlighted the important part (IMO).

They don't have to warn about breakage if they don't claim it's tough. It's glass, it's electronic, it's delicate.

If we're going to go down the path of the coffee, then the phone should also display warnings about cancer, carpel tunnel, blunt force trama, etc. :P
    dpham00 likes this.
    05-11-2016 05:19 PM
    It comes down to use cases. Dropping a phone is simply not a "use case" unless the phone is being designed to be drop resistant/proof for a specific rating. So the phone is not expected to perform in any certain way when dropped.
    dpham00 likes this.
    05-11-2016 05:20 PM
    They obviously designed this towards the beauty side and not throttled rugged side. For those who want a rugged s7, they do make the s7 active. Your choice.
    05-11-2016 05:31 PM
    Highlighted the important part (IMO).

They don't have to warn about breakage if they don't claim it's tough. It's glass, it's electronic, it's delicate.

If we're going to go down the path of the coffee, then the phone should also display warnings about cancer, carpel tunnel, blunt force trama, etc. :P
    That's not an obvious assertion. I've owned many smart phones. None were cracked by the type falls posters have described here nor has any other phone forum here complained of such easy breakage in such numbers. I would not assume the edge 7 would be any more delicate than the curved 6 plus or Note with the curved edge. It is glass so it is delicate is an oversimplification. I guess what it comes down to is just a difference of opinion. If the edge broke from typing on it you would agree it is too delicate right? I guess I think it should survive a 3 foot fall onto carpet or linoleum. You don't. OK. I don't think my assumption that a 3 foot fall onto a relatively soft flat surface should be survivable a high % of the time is idiotic. You may think it is. Sincere, intelligent, people can agree to disagree. I'm sure that is the deal here.
    05-11-2016 05:32 PM
    That's not an obvious assertion. I've owned many smart phones. None were cracked by the type falls posters have described here nor has any other phone forum here complained of such easy breakage in such numbers. I would not assume the edge 7 would be any more delicate than the curved 6 plus or Note with the curved edge. It is glass so it is delicate is an oversimplification. I guess what it comes down to is just a difference of opinion. If the edge broke from typing on it you would agree it is too delicate right? I guess I think it should survive a 3 foot fall onto carpet or linoleum. You don't. OK. I don't think my assumption that a 3 foot fall onto a relatively soft flat surface should be survivable a high % of the time is idiotic. You may think it is. Sincere, intelligent, people can agree to disagree. I'm sure that is the deal here.
    The S7e also has TWO edges that can hit on impact. The other devices you mentioned only have ONE.

Remember, this phone is not rated for drops at all. What you're actually asking for is a MILSPEC rating for drops. I've pasted the relevant text below:

How extensive Procedure IV gets is determined by the object’s weight. Personal computing devices would fall into the first category, which is for weights of less than 100 pounds and lengths of less than 91 cm (36 inches). The floor of the drop zone is two inches of plywood over concrete, which was determined to be the most common surface a device was likely to land on. Testers drop the device from a height of 4 feet on each of its six faces, 12 edges and eight corners, for a total of 26 drops. They visually inspect for damage and determine whether it still works after each drop. If a manufacturer requests, the 26 drops can be divided among five identical items.

https://gcn.com/Articles/2013/05/08/8-tests-behind-MIL-STD-ratings.aspx?Page=3
    05-11-2016 05:37 PM
    Doesn't the 6 plus have 2 curved edges?
    05-11-2016 05:40 PM
    Doesn't the 6 plus have 2 curved edges?
    No
    05-11-2016 05:47 PM
    Sonofagun. Bad memory. Anyway I think edge 7 should be tougher. Milspec? Cool. Make it tougher. If I were a gambler I would bet the edge 8 will be tougher if it is built

Is it legal to post a Best Buy picture of the 6 edge or edge plus here? It looks like both sides are curved to me.
    05-11-2016 05:52 PM
    That's not an obvious assertion. I've owned many smart phones. None were cracked by the type falls posters have described here nor has any other phone forum here complained of such easy breakage in such numbers.
    And I've dropped mine twice.. Once hard enough where I had to go to the doctor since I was part of the fall and took an actual chunk out of my hand and yet mine didn't break.. And yes I have a case... So...?

It means it doesn't guarantee a break but if people have to be TOLD via a warning that glass is breakable than.. I just don't know what to say. They made the design because people complained. You realize that right? They had it the old way that was more durable (plastic) and got nothing but flack.. Now they change (glass) and everyone is mad? As I said before.. Something has to give.
    05-11-2016 05:52 PM
    Oh please we all know glass is breakable. You understand the concept of HOW breakable. IF all the complaints I've read are true this is the most breakable glass screen by a wide margin. Nearly every phone has a glass screen. You expect users to expect this to be the most breakable. If they don't know they deserve no sympathy. I disagree. I doubt they knew and I don't think they are dumb. They trusted Samsung to make something reasonably durable. We're getting nowhere now so let's let this rest before I get the boot for a point that is moot!
    05-11-2016 06:01 PM
    Sonofagun. Bad memory. Anyway I think edge 7 should be tougher. Milspec? Cool. Make it tougher. If I were a gambler I would bet the edge 8 will be tougher if it is built

Is it legal to post a Best Buy picture of the 6 edge or edge plus here? It looks like both sides are curved to me.
    The back is 2.5D glass, far from curved like the S7e. Are you saying that the FRONT of the Note 5 is also curved?
    05-11-2016 06:05 PM
    The back is 2.5D glass, far from curved like the S7e. Are you saying that the FRONT of the Note 5 is also curved?
    There is single curve on the Note edge. The 6 edge and 6 edge plus have curves on both sides (right and left) or look that way in the pics. I'm talking about the curves on the front screen.
    05-11-2016 06:09 PM
158 ... 34567