Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didn't Crack??!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didnt Crack??!?!?!

I dropped mine once, in fact, my partner and I both dropped ours off of a table, but both had cases. I was using the Supcase Unicorn Beetle and my partner the UAG case. Both lived with 0 cracks or scratches. Happy!

cdjohnson25

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site

I dropped my naked S7E once, picked it up and it had a dent on the corner but did not break anything.

Then, when getting out of my car, the slippery little sucker slipped out of my coat pocket and hit the concrete parking lot and cracked all over. I did not see the impact, but it had a similar dent to the dent from the first drop. Phone still worked, though. By the time I got back from a week on business, the glass was starting to flake off in the corners.

Lucky the first time, unlucky the 2nd. My $100 net cost S7E became a $300 net cost after paying the deductible.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I dropped my girlfriend off the other night and when I got home, I got out of my car and when I stepped out, my phone fell right on the pavement and bounced screen first! I was like oh ****! To my surprise, nothing happened to it other than the home button got a tiny bit scratched. I also had some scuff marks from the pavement coating but was able to rub those off and now they are completely gone.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Cases do help to protect the S7E's screen.

Yesterday, I had my Otterbox on my S7E and dropped it from waste height. It landed face down with a sickening Crack sound, it did not break. The cracked was the Otterbox's plastic hitting the tile.

I rarely drop my phones and I consider this drop a fluke.

Bottom line...cases do help.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site

^^^ Absolutely agree with that statement. Early this morning I reached for my phone in the dark, and knocked it off the nightstand by accident. The floor in my hotel is wood. I have a Spigen neo hybrid case and it does a darn good job of protecting my phone. Even with no screen protector on it. However, when I get home I will be installing a Zagg screen protector, which will give me more peace of mind.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I had my s7 edge fall about 4 feet without a case onto a tile floor. No issues. With every phone release this type of thread pops up. Someone drops their phone and it breaks. Then here comes the complaint in how fragile it is. Ever single phone. Every single time.

It all depends on how the device lands and what it hits. No more. No less. Yes the phone is glass. But I can take a hit as long as it lands right. It just depends. But let's not contain because your at fault for dropping your device. Show some personal responsibility.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have known when I bought this phone that it's much more delicate than my previous s5 so I cannot get mad if I accidentally break this phone. You can't say it's a design flaw if the entire phone is made out of glass and the fact that it's a curved glass makes it all the more weaker. Any amount of stress put on the glass when in pocket, etc can and will break glass. Glass doesn't break for no reason. There is some sort of stress, pressure, or heat that causes for it to crack. My phone has fallen once and thankfully there was no issue. Don't get mad at a company that openly stated that their new flagship phones are made out of glass when all their previous phones were either made of plastic or metal.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm, with a user name like ScrewedbySamsung, I wonder if you're really here for the result of such a question or to just stir the pot....
Any phone you drop will have the chance of cracking the screen. It depends on angle of impact, the surface it hits, drop distance, etc. If you don't put a case on your phone, you're running a much higher risk of it being cracked on a drop. A sharp corner impact literally sends all the force into the device at a single point. Four feet to cement on the corner might just cause a shatter regardless of what device it is. I've knocked mine off a table and had a dog knock it off a dresser. No damage, but it has a case and didn't land on a surface that had potential outcroppings to impact the screen. As for reading horror stories, of course that's what you find when you go looking at forums for broken screen reports. People who drop their phones onto parking lots on a regular basis tend to gripe when they crack. The majority of users don't crack their screens so they don't post horror stories. If you're running around with it in your back pocket, you could also be asking for trouble depending on how much curvature there is and how tight your pants are. (Seriously, think about it.) You bend wrong and forces are dispersed across the frame of your phone and the screen. Bad things may happen. I've read your posts and I think you're just unlucky or a troll. I've had an S6 Edge since it was launched in an Incipio case (way better than Spigen in my opinion) and now have the same model case on my S7 Edge. I keep it in my front pocket where it isn't going to get accidentally sat on.

Yup on this. Which is why cases like Supcase and Otterbox reinforce the tops and corners and there is enough space to absorb the impact if it happens to fall face down. Of course, it doesn't mean the phone in the case is completely invincible. I generally do not drop my phones, but accidents can obviously happen and it's the piece of mind knowing it's in a heavy duty case that I can go about my day and not worry about it slipping and shattering.

This is another reason why I holster my phones :) But to each their own...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I dropped my girlfriend off the other night and when I got home, I got out of my car and when I stepped out, my phone fell right on the pavement and bounced screen first! I was like oh ****! To my surprise, nothing happened to it other than the home button got a tiny bit scratched. I also had some scuff marks from the pavement coating but was able to rub those off and now they are completely gone.
'Dropped GF'

Lol. I initially thought you'd be making a joke where your GF cracked after dropping her. Lol!

Keith Leger

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site

mine was on the couch arm rest and my wife bumped the couch..fell on the floor (tile) and instant shatter. This years edge is not as durable as s6 edge. My wife's edge was thrown by my son several times and nothing but a few scratches on the edges. Look at the glass on the S6 compared to the S7. The rim of the S6 actually was a little raised above the glass, not so on the S7, hence it breaks easier when the glass hits first even from minor falls. Why? because it is glass!!! LOL

One note. Samsung lets you buy Samsung protection plus during the first year (after you purchase the phone). I just went buy it then made a claim the same day and they overnight me a new phone. Total cost was $129 +79 deduct. However it is now good for 2 years and I can transfer in sale. Note, I had titanium color, they sent me black and said they can't guarantee color, which sucks.

rahul79

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

Dropped multiple times, both the S6 Edge and the new S7 Edge, but after the very positive experience with the Spigen Neo Hybrid Case for the S6 Edge (liked that one better as it had a rubber bumper around the case), I ended up waiting and getting the similar product for the S7 Edge. I got the silver/Titanium bumper, and it definitely does not feel like rubber as the S6 Edge one, but the protection is there.

Truly, majority of my drops are at the 3-4 feet and been on the Driveway and Hardwood flooring, and no issues.

I think the protruding corners on the low profile case has a lot to do with that. Thus, i would highly recommend spending that little extra for the Spigen Cases. They definitely have me as a customer especially with the low profile protection that still makes the S7 Edge look sexy.

anon(9184936)

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

How would you be able to file a class action lawsuit against them? You just admitted that you dropped it when getting out of your car? I understand that itis a $800 product, but come one how is it Samsungs fault? It isn't their fault, regardless of the price. Whether it was $5 dollars or $800....

Let me guess this one too. Even though a chandelier is made out of glass and if it falls from a vaulted ceiling it shouldn't break?

mm1185

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

I have dropped my S7 Edge on the asphalt and the screen didnt crack. But ever since I dropped the phone on the asphalt, Ive been getting random reboots even after a factory reset.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

How would you be able to file a class action lawsuit against them? You just admitted that you dropped it when getting out of your car? I understand that itis a $800 product, but come one how is it Samsungs fault? It isn't their fault, regardless of the price. Whether it was $5 dollars or $800....

Let me guess this one too. Even though a chandelier is made out of glass and if it falls from a vaulted ceiling it shouldn't break?
Nah. He seems to be the type who sues the potter after knocking over and breaking a vase. Lol.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Cell phone manufacturers put form over function. When you think about it - making a phone out of a piece of glass with display that is difficult and costly to replace is a disaster waiting to happen. The S7 Edge has a beautiful design. It's a shame to hide it in a case. I wish HTC or some other manufacturer would offer a bulky phone with a display that was simple and inexpensive to replace. Most phones have the glass touchscreen bonded to the frame, so that entire part has to be replaced. And replacement isn't east. But like others have said, technology has to improve. I have fond memories of my first smart phone - a blackberry with plastic - non touchscreen display. I never dropped it, but that phone was indestructible.

I have an LG V10. I like the removable battery, nice camera and sd. It also received a MIL-STD-810 drop impact rating, so supposedly less likely to break when dropped, or more likely to function after impact. You may think it's fugly and thick, but you gotta give credit to function.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Motorola Droid Turbo 2 / X Force - even better, shatterproof screen.

onlycodered

May 14, 2015
Visit site

This is why I will never own a device with an "edge" screen. The way these devices are designed makes them inherently easier to break/crack/etc.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

That's why it's important to have choice. I don't want the Edge screen to go away just because some people wouldn't want one.

They are popular for a reason.

duckdive117

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I have a Spigen slim case on mine, I dropped it from about chest high, it bounced twice on the corners, landed screen down and slid on the concrete........No damage at all, no scratches or cracks just some damage to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol