Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didn't Crack??!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I can't with people acting like this phone is as fragile as a wine glass or something. It's not. My phone has endured a lot and still looks great.

I can't help but think that folks with shattered glass backs either had a flawed devices, or their is more to the story than is being reported here.

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didnt Crack??!?!?!

Yeah I can't with people acting like this phone is as fragile as a wine glass or something. It's not. My phone has endured a lot and still looks great.

I can't help but think that folks with shattered glass backs either had a flawed devices, or their is more to the story than is being reported here.

Nah. It's luck with the fall. That angle on the edge is a weak spot, and so is the edge of the phone itself. That's why those bumper cases are designed to lift the phone screen off the surface and protect the corners and edges.

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I've dropped my S7 Edge once from just over waist height. It landed flat on the back with no harm done. I do have it in a Spigen Neo-hybrid case, though. That probably helped. :)

Nanchomex

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I dropped mine (knee height) and had a tiny dent on the sim/msd card tray, and now I can't open it, it's insane :(

atuarre

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

This is what happens when you don't have a case on your device. It's not insanity. Yeah, I know, I know, some people think if you put a case on a device it defeats the purpose because of the way the phone looks. Guess what, when you drop your phone and you don't have a case on it, this is what happens. Have no sympathy for people who choose to go without a case and then complain about the device getting damaged. It's not like it's made out of titanium or new magnesium.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I dropped mine (knee height) and had a tiny dent on the sim/msd card tray, and now I can't open it, it's insane :(
Ouch. Sounds like dropped and hit something at an angle. Well a sim tray dent should be easier and cheaper to repair than a shattered screen. That's what can almost surely shatter a screen, angles and points on dropping.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I was on another forum earlier and was reading all kinds of horror stories about how the screens on these phones are cracking at nothing. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting the word out before it happens to you or to discourage people from buying this piece of junk.

Two weeks after buying and treating this thing like a piece of Gold, I get out of my car, drop the phone about a foot from the ground and the screen is shattered. I had an S3 and I dropped that phone at least 100 times and its still as good as new. I think Samsung should stand behind their $800 product and give some customer support as Iphone would if they developed a defective product. This phone has issues and Samsung is NOT stepping up to the plate and backing it.

Please share you experiences with your phone as i would like to start a Class action lawsuit to force Samsung to fix their faulty product.

A Class Action Lawsuit? Are you off your rocker? How old are you? Here's an idea, put a case on your $800.00 Product that prevents it from being damaged when YOU drop it. This is not on Samsung, it's on you.
The second mine comes out of the box, on goes an OtterBox defender, I have dropped all my phones numerous times and at the end of their term, they are still like new the day they came out of the box. If you are more concerned about it not being bulky and pretty then that's on you. $50 bucks could have saved you $800.00. It's not Samsung's job to babysit you when you drop your phone.
I would love to see you try and launch a class action against Samsung, I am sure you would end up paying their legal fees on top of your $800.00 phone replacement. atuarre said it well above, I just had to stick in my 2 cents as I think you are completely nuts!

Last edited:

JaiDaHaus

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I mean, you're talking about glass.... If you want to talk about a design flaw, the whole body is made of glass with a border of aluminum. When you got glass on the back, and glass on the front, what do you expect to happen? Maybe if you paid $1800 for ballistic grade glass, then you can complain when it breaks. Otherwise I would stop being so surprised.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

This is what happens when you don't have a case on your device. It's not insanity. Yeah, I know, I know, some people think if you put a case on a device it defeats the purpose because of the way the phone looks. Guess what, when you drop your phone and you don't have a case on it, this is what happens. Have no sympathy for people who choose to go without a case and then complain about the device getting damaged. It's not like it's made out of titanium or new magnesium.
It's too bad VZW never gets the tough version of these devices. I forget what they're called... You know the waterproof ones you can throw at a wall without hurting it.

uopjo6

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Samsung sells garbage for the price of gold. You had to learn the hard way.
There are many phones out there on par with the S7 for half the price.

The curved edges are nothing more than a gimmick a toddler could come up with and actually increases the surface area that will cause a crack by impact.

uopjo6

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Most of the surface being glass is a flaw of its own. They even slapped a gimmick to bend the glass sideways to make sure it cracks from the sides as well. Can't believe you guys fall into Samsungs marketing trap. They could sell you an eraser for $800.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

It's not a marketing trap. We knew what we were getting. We know that the phone will be more fragile. We're not as naive as some other people are. And we know that those phones at half the price aren't on par with the S7 as you say they are. Not only do they have worse battery lives, they have worse camera, worse screens, etc. They claim to have similar number of cores, but then they're using last year or even last two year's tech.

Nanchomex

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I have at least 7 cases believe it or not, I was just cleaning my precious before putting a new one and that's when it happened , it landed on the carpet but it hit a night stand before, and the insane part is it was at a knee height, that's why I said "insane"...I called some cellphone repair stores to see if they can help but no luck yet :-(

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Most of the surface being glass is a flaw of its own. They even slapped a gimmick to bend the glass sideways to make sure it cracks from the sides as well. Can't believe you guys fall into Samsungs marketing trap. They could sell you an eraser for $800.

And yet you wandered in? You must have fallen for something yourself.

Sorry, but I've owned every type of phone their is, and Samsung makes the most compelling phones currently on the market hands down.

But I'm guessing you're an HTC or LG fan who accidentally clicked on this forum right?

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Not that I wanted to file a class action lawsuit against LG, but after I dropped my week old LG G3 from a table onto a hard floor shattering the screen, I too had similar feelings of anger.

But, ya know.....I dropped it. I didn't use a case for the reason people who don't, don't and I paid the price. Sure it would be awesome if they used some magic material that felt and behaved like glass but was as durable as plastic, but they don't.The beauty and the bane of our relationship with these slabs of technology; glass its beautiful and feels great, but its brittle.

Buy insurance and set aside some cash for the deductible if you like me love using your phone without a case, otherwise buy a big rubbery case and fogetaboutit!

Sam73065

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Samsung sells garbage for the price of gold. You had to learn the hard way.
There are many phones out there on par with the S7 for half the price.

The curved edges are nothing more than a gimmick a toddler could come up with and actually increases the surface area that will cause a crack by impact.

Feel free to list those phones which are on par with the S7 for half the price. I suspect all you'll prove is that it's a matter of opinion and you're overly self-impressed with your own opinion and feelings of superior intellect.

Sam73065

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I expect an $800 phone WITH a Spigan case on it to not break with one drop. Thats my expectations of an $800 bill. Its not like I was playing basketball with the phone and by example my S3 hit the ground well over 100 times and never broke. It dropped every angle you could imagine and is STILL new looking.

Well it's pretty clear most of us do understand your frustration and maybe even have sympathy for your loss. However if you have such an ongoing habit of dropping your phone, it's time to buy more robust phones such as the upcoming S7 Active, much cheaper and easier to replace phones, and/or lay out the money for really good rugged protective cases. This is not Samsung's fault, just because you dropped it and it cracked.

robav

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

My S6 Edge has taken quite a beating since I got it (when they first came out) and it hasn't had a scratch, dent or crack yet. I even had it without a case for a month or so while I decided on a new case.

Granted, this isn't the S7, so maybe they've done something different there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers