Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didn't Crack??!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sonofagun. Bad memory. Anyway I think edge 7 should be tougher. Milspec? Cool. Make it tougher. If I were a gambler I would bet the edge 8 will be tougher if it is built

Is it legal to post a Best Buy picture of the 6 edge or edge plus here? It looks like both sides are curved to me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's not an obvious assertion. I've owned many smart phones. None were cracked by the type falls posters have described here nor has any other phone forum here complained of such easy breakage in such numbers.

And I've dropped mine twice.. Once hard enough where I had to go to the doctor since I was part of the fall and took an actual chunk out of my hand and yet mine didn't break.. And yes I have a case... So...?

It means it doesn't guarantee a break but if people have to be TOLD via a warning that glass is breakable than.. I just don't know what to say. They made the design because people complained. You realize that right? They had it the old way that was more durable (plastic) and got nothing but flack.. Now they change (glass) and everyone is mad? As I said before.. Something has to give.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh please we all know glass is breakable. You understand the concept of HOW breakable. IF all the complaints I've read are true this is the most breakable glass screen by a wide margin. Nearly every phone has a glass screen. You expect users to expect this to be the most breakable. If they don't know they deserve no sympathy. I disagree. I doubt they knew and I don't think they are dumb. They trusted Samsung to make something reasonably durable. We're getting nowhere now so let's let this rest before I get the boot for a point that is moot!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sonofagun. Bad memory. Anyway I think edge 7 should be tougher. Milspec? Cool. Make it tougher. If I were a gambler I would bet the edge 8 will be tougher if it is built

Is it legal to post a Best Buy picture of the 6 edge or edge plus here? It looks like both sides are curved to me.

The back is 2.5D glass, far from curved like the S7e. Are you saying that the FRONT of the Note 5 is also curved?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The back is 2.5D glass, far from curved like the S7e. Are you saying that the FRONT of the Note 5 is also curved?
There is single curve on the Note edge. The 6 edge and 6 edge plus have curves on both sides (right and left) or look that way in the pics. I'm talking about the curves on the front screen.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is single curve on the Note edge. The 6 edge and 6 edge plus have curves on both sides (right and left) or look that way in the pics. I'm talking about the curves on the front screen.

No no. I'm talking front and back curves, not left and right.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The left and right I am speaking of are on the front. They are on the front of the edge 7 too. I don't see the diff.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh please we all know glass is breakable. You understand the concept of HOW breakable. IF all the complaints I've read are true this is the most breakable glass screen by a wide margin. Nearly every phone has a glass screen. You expect users to expect this to be the most breakable. If they don't know they deserve no sympathy. I disagree. I doubt they knew and I don't think they are dumb. They trusted Samsung to make something reasonably durable. We're getting nowhere now so let's let this rest before I get the boot for a point that is moot!

Well in that case Apple needs a new design then. I've seen more broken iPhone screens than I can count.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe so. I hope both are fixed in next model.

And as we said sadly it won't. People want a nice looking thin phones (that's how Samsung got here..people hated plastic).. Hence why Apple is trying to make it like a piece of paper. That's the want. Yet with that things give.. The durable cases are shunned by most simply due to bulk.

As for this topic as it's been said..the phone is glass and without a case it'll break. Not saying a case is a full guarantee but it helps a lot more versus glass taking the brute force of an impact and breaking.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? The 6 Edge and Edge Plus has two curved screens. It basically looks almost exactly like the S7 Edge.

First, why defensive?

Second, I'm well aware that both sides of the display are curved (this is not "two curved screens"). I think the confusion was that I was talking about the front and back of the device, not the left and right (as I said in a later post, but you didn't read that far yet).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The left and right I am speaking of are on the front. They are on the front of the edge 7 too. I don't see the diff.

OMG. There are far more curves on the S7e than the S6e or S6e+ because the back of the device also has significant curves. So that makes twice as many curves in glass to impact and break.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
First, why defensive?

Second, I'm well aware that both sides of the display are curved (this is not "two curved screens"). I think the confusion was that I was talking about the front and back of the device, not the left and right (as I said in a later post, but you didn't read that far yet).
Not defensive. Didn't mean to come out that way.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not defensive. Didn't mean to come out that way.

No worries, I seem to default to "take things negative". :) I need to work on that.

I'm only being specific so that there is no confusion since curves can be on sides and also on front and rear of the devices we're all talking about.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread I'm suffering anxiety and panic attacks now that I know glass will break. I'm going to file a lawsuit against Samsung for mental anguish and suffering,anyone else want in?

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a s6 edge note 4 note 5 and the s7 edge. The s7 series has a different glass that can scratch and crack alot easier than the past versions.
S7 is the first phone i think twice about putting a case on. It is somewhat like the nexus 4 and iphone 4 ease of cracking

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
To answer the title of this thread I have dropped my S7 twice swith no damage. One was onto floorboards from about 24 inches off the ground. The other time was onto carpet from about the same time.

I have also dropped a metal torch onto my phone from about 3 feet. The phone was charging on the floor by the side of my bed and the torch was on the bed when I sat down on the bed and off it went and landed on my phone. Not a scratch on the phone.

Suppose this doesn't help your class action does it.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
They obviously designed this towards the beauty side and not throttled rugged side. For those who want a rugged s7, they do make the s7 active. Your choice.

You are right, they do make an S7 Active, but how does that help those on Verizon or Sprint? The Active is an AT&T Exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer