Help - can't unlock with fingerprint after update on 5/7/16

daravang

May 9, 2016
Visit site
A couple days ago my phone prompted me that there was a Samsung software update so I proceeded with it. After my phone finished updating and rebooting, I can no longer unlock my phone using my fingerprint any more. Every time I use my fingerprint from the lock screen, it will prompt me to enter my pin also, every time. Before the update, it only prompted me for a pin# after rebooting. Now it wants me to enter my pin every time, even though I've already gone into the settings and set it to unlock using fingerprint. Does anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
A couple days ago my phone prompted me that there was a Samsung software update so I proceeded with it. After my phone finished updating and rebooting, I can no longer unlock my phone using my fingerprint any more. Every time I use my fingerprint from the lock screen, it will prompt me to enter my pin also, every time. Before the update, it only prompted me for a pin# after rebooting. Now it wants me to enter my pin every time, even though I've already gone into the settings and set it to unlock using fingerprint. Does anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it?

With latest updates if you are using any other method to lock your phone other than the Display Time out or the Power button, like for example the lock Now app or Nova actions, the phone will ask you for the password all the time, it is like if those processes now activates or reset something like it does when you reboot.

So, are you using something like I mentioned above or are you having the problem with normal lock processes? if you are locking via the power button then try clearing all your Apps cache on the Settings-Storage menu and then do a wipe cache partition on the recovery menu, power off, then press, Home, Volume Up and Power button until you see the Android robot.

Last edited:

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate the response. Not using any other method to lock other than Display Time out or the Power button. Followed your advice about cleaning the app and phone cache. Still having the issue. I called verizon earlier this morning and all she could do was note the complaint and she said they have been getting a ton of calls about this issue and people are pissed.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the response. Not using any other method to lock other than Display Time out or the Power button. Followed your advice about cleaning the app and phone cache. Still having the issue. I called verizon earlier this morning and all she could do was note the complaint and she said they have been getting a ton of calls about this issue and people are pissed.

It will always ask you for the password after a reboot, so after you cleared apps cache and wiped cache partition on recovery mode it will ask you for the password, but have you tried after that? I think you should have but just want to be sure. But now that you mentioned Verizon, I think I have read from other Verizon users with the same issues here and in other forums, it may be a Verizon thing.

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
It will always ask you for the password after a reboot, so after you cleared apps cache and wiped cache partition on recovery mode it will ask you for the password, but have you tried after that? I think you should have but just want to be sure. But now that you mentioned Verizon, I think I have read from other Verizon users with the same issues here and in other forums, it may be a Verizon thing.

Yes on the password at reboot and after. Well seasoned android user here ;).

Yea, Verizon pushed out an update this week that messed the fingerprint reader up. Only works about half the time on unlock, otherwise you need to do pin or pattern. So stupid! Don't see the point in fingerprint reader if you cant unlock the phone with it.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So stupid! Don't see the point in fingerprint reader if you cant unlock the phone with it.

A (potential) firmware issue does not negate the usefulness of the fp reader hardware. The only thing that is 100% in life is death. My fp reader works fine after the update so 'everybody' isn't having the problem.

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
A (potential) firmware issue does not negate the usefulness of the fp reader hardware. The only thing that is 100% in life is death. My fp reader works fine after the update so 'everybody' isn't having the problem.

FIngerprint reader works fine and this issue is not a hardware issue.
You are on Verizon?
You installed the May update?
Your phone is not prompting you for a pin, password, or pattern half the time now when unlocking your phone?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
FIngerprint reader works fine and this issue is not a hardware issue.
You are on Verizon?
You installed the May update?
Your phone is not prompting you for a pin, password, or pattern half the time now when unlocking your phone?

You totally missed my point.
Yes
Yes
No.
That's what I said.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well he is not the only one having the issue, as I am as well and it sucks now as i can't just unlock the phone with fingerprint , have to enter my pattern. I am not using any other apps or anything just power off from power key. I have found the reason it does it only sometimes is if your screen comes on and shuts off on its on it will prompt you the next time. The only way to get the fingerprint to work right is to hit power button and screen can not come on on its on from a notification or anything then u can just use your fingerprint next time. I love how one person says it works fine and he things others can't have the problem. Anyway i wish there was a solution as this sucks!!! I am going to go back to the old way of unlocking with just swiping screen at this rate. Verizon better release a fix ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Based on this, I assume you're using Nova Launcher? I had the same issue.

If you ARE using Nova, you'll have to revoke it's admin permissions on your phone. It means you won't be able to use certain gestures, but it'll resolve the original problem.

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Based on this, I assume you're using Nova Launcher? I had the same issue.

If you ARE using Nova, you'll have to revoke it's admin permissions on your phone. It means you won't be able to use certain gestures, but it'll resolve the original problem.

I am using Google Now launcher but went back to twiz and still have the issue.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well he is not the only one having the issue, as I am as well and it sucks now as i can't just unlock the phone with fingerprint , have to enter my pattern. I am not using any other apps or anything just power off from power key. I have found the reason it does it only sometimes is if your screen comes on and shuts off on its on it will prompt you the next time. The only way to get the fingerprint to work right is to hit power button and screen can not come on on its on from a notification or anything then u can just use your fingerprint next time. I love how one person says it works fine and he things others can't have the problem. Anyway i wish there was a solution as this sucks!!! I am going to go back to the old way of unlocking with just swiping screen at this rate. Verizon better release a fix ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so if you hit power it allows the fingerprint next time you unlock but if it's with the Display it doesn't? Then go to Secure lock settings in Lock Screen and Security settings and check and post here your settings. On my T-mobile device I have lock Instantly with power key and then I have it to lock automatically after 5 seconds it turns off.

I'm curious to know about this as it seems that the key of the issue must be on this menu.

themonk

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Thiscrapsucks!

So out of frustration I pinged Samsung through their Chat app. They have an app they have you download and they can remote into your phone. He fixed it. Works perfect now.

I caught about half of what he did and the other part I was in a meeting and just watching when he needed me to to test or enter my pin. Totally sorry I am worthless as I was not able to document the fix. So if you are having the issue hit up samsung support - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the page and clcik on Live Chat. Whole process took about 20 minutes.

Last edited: