Was your replacement Galaxy S7 Edge the same color?

intyce46410

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I cracked the corner edge of my S7 edge. I have insurance through Sprint Total Protection. I honestly want the same color i purchased but i know that it isn't guaranteed that i will recieve that color. $200. :( Should I get Samsung Protection Plus and try to go that route? $208 (same color still not guaranteed) or should i send it in to Samsung to repair the glass? ($279). For those who got replacement phones, were they they same color? New or Refurbished?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing I learned in my 63 years on earth, do what all consumer magazines recommend - NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR INSURANCE. Your paying almost double for your phone, probably won't get the same kind of phone, or COLOR, and you'll most all the time get a rephurb. Someone else's problem. The "insurances" are set up for one thing-EXTRA PROFIT. I had a problem with my first S7 edge 4 days after the return deadline. Verizon wanted to send me a rephurb. I just sold it, took a 100.00 hit, and purchased another new one. Same color i wanted. I lost about 100.00 on the total deal. Now figure in your deductible, the fact that you probably will get a rephurb in a color you won't like. Who made out better? I had a girl who worked for me that had an experience with phone insurance. They kept sending her different phones, all rephurbs, and she went thru 4 before she got one good enough to use. If you look on ebay, S7 edges with cracked screens are selling for around the 400.00 range. Be honest, sell it on ebay add another 200.00, and get another new one on swappa or ebay. You'll be much happier. Forget the insurance. It's a RIPOFF.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Correct. Having insurance is a waste in my opinion. I'm with you. I would much rather pay a little more and get a new device than to pay then wait and get a refurbished unit.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Intyce, let us know how you make out. Good luck. FYI, I just checked ebay and they have a few with cracked screens that are over 400.00 with bids.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You should have done that before you bought it. I always keep the phone prior to the new one just in case. I remember when I was first offered insurance. I asked 3 questions 1, was there a deductible? 2, will i get a brand new, unused phone, and 3,will I get it immediately? Well the answer to question 1was almost half the cost of a new phone. Add to that the premiums your paying and it probably surpasses the cost at the end of your contract. The answer to question 2 was a sorry, no, you get a rephurb or used AS CLOSE TO THE ONE YOU'RE USING. REALLY? At that point I really didn't need an answer to question 3. I. Will be honest here. There's one time i did buy an extended warranty, and that was on my brand new Mustang gt 5.0 ONLY because if the engine blew, a new replacement is 11,000.00 without labor. Of course, its been flawless for 4 years. Only time.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So whether insurance is worth it depends a lot on the situation. It depends a lot on how prone you are to dropping phones, and one should factor in that an all-glass phone is definitely more fragile than a metal bodied one, and the Edge, with nothing to protect the edges of the screen, even more fragile. Since the OP has already broken his phone, that changes the equation a little bit.

A couple of thoughts:

If you use the Sprint insurance, you'll pay a $200 deductible. For a few bucks more, you can get the Samsung insurance, and have up to three more replacements at $79 each if you're unlucky. And you can stop sending Sprint an extra $11 or $13 a month. Of course, you'll be committing fraud, so hope Assurant doesn't follow these forums.

I filed a claim with Samsung Protect a week ago and they ended up sending me a check to cover buying a new phone because they didn't have any in stock. I was able to buy the same color as my broken phone.

This early in the product lifecycle, it's unlikely there is any stock of refurb units, so you'll probably get a new one either way.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, this last comment shows how close you'll come to practically buying a replacement phone at full retail. Always keep at least 1old phone for a backup. Since I've got and using my S7 edge, I've got my S6 edge as a backup. I wont sell that until I get my galaxy S8, and then the S7 edge becomes the backup. If you dont have a backup or think your going to break your phone, take the amount of your deductible, and what you'd pay for your monthly premium, and put it in an envelope in your nightstand. If you loose or break your phone, you'll have a good chunk of change to put down on a brand new one that you can get at a discounted rate on swappa or ebay. You'll have to add the rest though. And if you don't break or loose your phone, you'll have enough saved up to pay cash for your next galaxy. Ive bought many brand new phones from eBay. Never got swindled. And don't forget, you've got ebays buyer protection. I actually bought my second new S7 edge on swappa. Got it for only $640.00. Brand new, never activated. Im loving it. Oh, and if it fails, its covered under samsungs 1 year warranty. I already registered it.

tengtengvn

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
One thing I learned in my 63 years on earth, do what all consumer magazines recommend - NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR INSURANCE. Your paying almost double for your phone, probably won't get the same kind of phone, or COLOR, and you'll most all the time get a rephurb. Someone else's problem. The "insurances" are set up for one thing-EXTRA PROFIT. I had a problem with my first S7 edge 4 days after the return deadline. Verizon wanted to send me a rephurb. I just sold it, took a 100.00 hit, and purchased another new one. Same color i wanted. I lost about 100.00 on the total deal. Now figure in your deductible, the fact that you probably will get a rephurb in a color you won't like. Who made out better? I had a girl who worked for me that had an experience with phone insurance. They kept sending her different phones, all rephurbs, and she went thru 4 before she got one good enough to use. If you look on ebay, S7 edges with cracked screens are selling for around the 400.00 range. Be honest, sell it on ebay add another 200.00, and get another new one on swappa or ebay. You'll be much happier. Forget the insurance. It's a RIPOFF.

You didn't want to be ripped off so you sold your old defective phone to someone else. Got it. Good strategy that everyone should not learn.

To OP: Having to use Asurion and Assurant Solutions (they service most carriers in the US) a few times, their refurbished phones are generally good. I have always received the same color as my original phones. I think it also depends on their stock. If you have the rare color like the Verizon Gold Note 4, your change to get the same color is slim compare to black or white.

Each refurbished phone comes with 90 days warranty through the carrier on top of the existing warranty of your old phone.
For example: I got the Note 5 as a replacement because AS didn't have my Nexus phone instock. After 1 month, I found some dirt in the camera lens. I called t-mobile to claim the warranty and the new replacement came from t-mobile directly.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I generally do keep my old phone as a backup, but the reason I bought the Edge now was because my old phone crapped out. Would no longer reliably make and receive calls. So that wasn't really an option.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I usually get my phone insurances through best buy and they give me a new phone. I cracked my moto x style and they gave me a brand new one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I. Sold it to a local repair facility that fixes and re-sells. I should have made that clear.