What's better Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive? Why?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Personally I choose OneDrive. I have bigger storage one OneDrive, plus the Google Drive apo screwed up with PDF data streaming for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends... If you use it solely as a cloud-enabled storage, they are both fairly similar.... both have similar apps, both have desktop components to allow you to mirror your drive to your computers, etc. But if you utilize a lot of Google services... like Photos, for instance, Google Drive's tight integration into those services pushes it WAY ahead.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
For free, Google Drive gives you 15 GB while OneDrive is changing in August to only 5 GB (they recently sent out an e-mail about this). So, that right there might effect your decision. I have been using Google Drive a lot longer, only signing up for OneDrive after downloading the Word apps for my iPad and Android phones (previous phone and now this one) within the last six months (used Polaris for documents before that and it became buggy), and also use Dropbox because of certain apps (especially iPad apps) that work only with it and not Google Drive.

I don't really use any of them for backups, though some of the files are there partly for safe keeping. I use Google Drive for all sorts of file types (including PDF, photo, and video) that I want access to at all times on various devices, including important documents. I use OneDrive just for the Word mobile app files for my tablets and phones (previous and current phone). I use Dropbox for the apps that use it, for sharing files with others sometimes (which I have also done with Google Drive), and as a quick way to share personal photos between my iPad and Android devices. I prefer Google Drive, so have the most stuff on there and everything organized in folders on it. I need to do some cleanup on my Dropbox of photos I don't need on there anymore.

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Although I use Google services for just about everything, I prefer OneDrive over Google Drive for my family.

We use Office 365 across a few computers and a handful of phones (all covered under one license now!). But as a bonus, it comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage! That alone makes it a win for us.

What makes it even better (for my family) is that we use Windows computers. The benefit here is that the OneDrive folder looks like any other folder on the computer. So I have the computer default the user folders (such as My Documents) to save to the OneDrive folder and within seconds, it syncs that local copy to the cloud. Even if it loses connection, they can work on the local copy and it will sync whenever it can later on..and they are none the wiser. :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The benefit here is that the OneDrive folder looks like any other folder on the computer.

Having both loaded on my laptop, they both map to local folders for mirroring... OneDrive just had hooks to force things through, like the default doc directory, which was actual extremely annoying... wife flipped out that she had lost all her new stuff until I realized Microsoft took it upon themselves to fuss with the My Documents link.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Although I use Google services for just about everything, I prefer OneDrive over Google Drive for my family.
The benefit here is that the OneDrive folder looks like any other folder on the computer. So I have the computer default the user folders (such as My Documents) to save to the OneDrive folder and within seconds, it syncs that local copy to the cloud. Even if it loses connection, they can work on the local copy and it will sync whenever it can later on..and they are none the wiser. :)

I think that is a pretty standard feature on all the major cloud services. Certainly Google Drive and Dropbox do the same thing.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
To me, it depends...I lean more towards Google Drive, since I can either export Google Docs documents in .docx (or .rtf, or .txt) and edit in Word, or set up a Google Drive folder on my laptop & edit Word docs there. Word for Android supposedly supports reading/writing from GDrive, but the last time I tried to do that I almost lost the paper I was working on (thank goodness revision history worked).

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm 95% of my time on Android so I use Google Drive because the app at least looks like some time was put into designing it. Though I've 1.15TB of OneDrive storage compared to 15GB Google so it may get used at some stage.

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I like OneDrive better than Drive but I use both. Actually, I prefer Box to anything. Seems to have more advanced features that OD doesnt have. I love the collaboration functionality in Box much more too.

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
OneDrive's tight integration with my Windows 10 PCs and Office, the extra space I get from my Office 365 subscription, and it works fine on my s7e is why I have never had any real incentive or reason to switch over to Google Drive

NaimNut

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
For me its OneDrive

10 dollars a month gives me 1TB of cloud storage for each email address up to 5. Also Outlook has unlimited cloud email storage plus full Office 365 for 5 computers, 5 tablets, & 5 smartphones.

What a deal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci