I've never paid for insurance on any of my prior Android phones, and never needed it. But after seeing too many cracked screens, I decided maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Edge. Turned out to be a good decision. Five days after signing up I dropped my phone face down on gravel and cracked the right side of the screen very badly. Over the next several days, the cracks spread about 3/4 of the way across the face of the phone.

Anyway, I filed my claim online on a Sunday evening. About an hour later I had an email stating my claim had been approved and I would get another email when my replacement shipped. Monday, no email. Tuesday, no email. Wednesday morning I get a call telling me they had none in stock so they were sending me a check for the full retail value of the phone. OK, that's cool, but I wish they hadn't taken 2 days to figure it out. The check was sent Fed Ex next day, and arrived Thursday.

Wednesday afternoon I bought a new Edge. Since I was buying retail, I had to pay sales tax. I emailed the insurance company back and asked them to reimburse me for that cost. They told me to send them a copy of the receipt, so I scanned and sent it by email. Two days later I had another check for the tax, also sent FedEx next day.

While I wish they had processed the initial claim a little faster, overall I'm very happy with the service. And since I only had to send back the broken phone, I now have an extra charger, cable, headphones, and SIM tray pin.
    jneusch likes this.
    05-10-2016 07:48 PM
    I've never paid for insurance on any of my prior Android phones, and never needed it. But after seeing too many cracked screens, I decided maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Edge. Turned out to be a good decision. Five days after signing up I dropped my phone face down on gravel and cracked the right side of the screen very badly. Over the next several days, the cracks spread about 3/4 of the way across the face of the phone.

Anyway, I filed my claim online on a Sunday evening. About an hour later I had an email stating my claim had been approved and I would get another email when my replacement shipped. Monday, no email. Tuesday, no email. Wednesday morning I get a call telling me they had none in stock so they were sending me a check for the full retail value of the phone. OK, that's cool, but I wish they hadn't taken 2 days to figure it out. The check was sent Fed Ex next day, and arrived Thursday.

Wednesday afternoon I bought a new Edge. Since I was buying retail, I had to pay sales tax. I emailed the insurance company back and asked them to reimburse me for that cost. They told me to send them a copy of the receipt, so I scanned and sent it by email. Two days later I had another check for the tax, also sent FedEx next day.

While I wish they had processed the initial claim a little faster, overall I'm very happy with the service. And since I only had to send back the broken phone, I now have an extra charger, cable, headphones, and SIM tray pin.
    What was the cost for the Edge, $129?
    05-10-2016 07:51 PM
    What was the cost for the Edge, $129?
    I was about to say "No, $749." Then I realized you're asking about the insurance cost.

Yes, $129 for two years of coverage, plus $79 deductible per damage replacement. Up to 2 replacements per year for damaged phones. No limit (or deductible) for replacement due to defect or internal failure.

Oh, and Samsung Protect doesn't cover loss or theft.
    05-10-2016 08:04 PM
    $199 I believe.
    05-10-2016 08:06 PM
    I was about to say "No, $749." Then I realized you're asking about the insurance cost.

Yes, $129 for two years of coverage, plus $79 deductible per damage replacement. Up to 2 replacements per year for damaged phones. No limit (or deductible) for replacement due to defect or internal failure.

Oh, and Samsung Protect doesn't cover loss or theft.
    Cool. I am paying Verizon $7 a month, with a $200 deductible. Monthly cost is pretty good, since it covers loss and theft. But I am not thrilled about the $200 deductible.

Sounds like your experience with Samsung Protection was awesome.
    mitul_mehta likes this.
    05-10-2016 08:10 PM
    Nice that they gave you the full value back so you could buy your own, though the delay kinda sucked. I dealt with Verizon asurion and had to call them multiple times to make sure that they were shipping on time. Then got the replacement phone which was defective. Ugh. They did provide me with another replacement at no cost though. I much prefer getting the full amount and buying, though I realize that this is a unique situation since they didn't have it in stock.
    05-11-2016 02:26 PM