To Smart switch or not?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm moving from S5 to S7 Edge. Should I use smart switch or setup my new phone manually with settings/apps. Any pros/cons and experiences folks have had would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App - Verizon S5

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
+1. Did not have any issues and everything was copied over from my SIII. Might not go as well from non-Samsung phone, don't know, but you should be good to go.

DuCeNuKeM

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I used smart switch to move everything to over to my s7 edge. I couldn't get to transfer wireless or via otg cable so I made a backup to my sd then put it into my s7 edge to restore. It worked out great!

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I used smart switch as well. Pretty convenient. Got everything back the their places. Just the widgets weren't there. And the apps weren't signed in. Other than that everything went well. Wish they could make it even better.

Posted via the Android Central App

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I actually opted to NOT use Smart Switch when I upgraded from my S5. My reasoning was that after going 2 years without a factory reset I thought it was a great opportunity to start clean as opposed to loading this new phone with a ton of apps that I might not really even need anymore. I just set it up new and installed apps as I thought I needed them.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I actually opted to NOT use Smart Switch when I upgraded from my S5. My reasoning was that after going 2 years without a factory reset I thought it was a great opportunity to start clean as opposed to loading this new phone with a ton of apps that I might not really even need anymore. I just set it up new and installed apps as I thought I needed them.

That was a good decision :) a fresh start is always good!

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Smart Switch didn't pose a problem because it only sends the apk for the other phone to install. It didn't appear to copy over the app dats actually.

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I used it to transfer from my Droid Turbo 2 to the S7E without issue. It did not copy over any app data (or the apps themselves), but it was nice to have everything else quickly set-up. It also helped that the large files were already on my SD card (music/pictures/videos), so that was just a simple SD card transfer.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I used it to transfer my photos and such, but I don't think I used it for apps, since I used it later. I don't know what put the apps on my phone, but it listed all the apps in my Google account and allowed me to select which ones I wanted to install, then it downloaded and installed them. It was part of the phone setup. I wasn't connected to my S3 at the time (I was charging the S7 Edge via wired charger).

I didn't transfer my music via the app because I wanted to be sure that wouldn't mess up future use of the iSyncr app as well as add more music and playlists, plus add them directly to my SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae