05-30-2016 06:24 PM
85 1234
tools
    The real reason why is advertising. The average consumer doesn't know that the nexus phones even exist. Plus they are not as readily available on some carriers and not pushed by the sales staff.

Those of us on the forums have other reasons. Personally i put the Nova launcher on it and love the hardware. I like separate buttons and the other features of the phones beat out nexus.
    05-21-2016 07:59 AM
    My first android was the galaxy s3. After that I got the Nexus 5 and swore I would never buy Samsung again due to touchwiz and slow updates. After a stint with HTC and then Motorola I decided to give Samsung a go again with the s7 edge and I'm really happy with it. Touchwiz is so much better than it was and after spending quite a bit of time with stock over the last few year's, I have to say I might even prefer it!

Don't really get why people say it's ugly. I think it's fine and can be changed with themes and different launchers as required. The performance is great and many of the added features useful or easily switched off if not. Added to the fact that Samsung also put top specs on the phone and I could see me sticking with then for a while

Posted via the Android Central App
    SR45 likes this.
    05-21-2016 09:28 AM
    Guys, sorry to bump my question, but I'd really like to use the Touchwiz dialer on my new phone. It is ergonomically perfect to swipe to initiate a call and to write a text. As this phone is my first Android (I was using a Samsung Wave with bada 1.2), I hoped that here I can find someone with some experience with these apps. Still TIA for your help.
    05-22-2016 09:03 PM
    Guys, sorry to bump my question, but I'd really like to use the Touchwiz dialer on my new phone. It is ergonomically perfect to swipe to initiate a call and to write a text. As this phone is my first Android (I was using a Samsung Wave with bada 1.2), I hoped that here I can find someone with some experience with these apps. Still TIA for your help.
    Or you could make your own thread for your specific question instead of trying to get an answer in a thread with another topic (also known as hijacking).

I don't know your question and I'll just wonder why aren't you using the TouchWiz dialer if you want it. I assume you are using a Samsung since you are in the S7 Edge forum.
    05-22-2016 09:58 PM
    Touchwiz isn't too bad at all these days, I just wish that Samsung would update their icons. There's no cohesion between their own icons, let alone their icons and anyone else's. The phone icon is a particular (un) favourite.

The rest of Touchwiz, like menus and quick settings don't bother me at all. There's more choice and flexibility than something like a Nexus without throwing everything at it like Samsung did with the S4. There's no way the user needs visibility on every setting like Samsung gave with the S4 and they seem to have realised that and toned it down a lot.

I guess the only other thing that could be improved is with duplicate apps. It would be good if we could disable or uninstall Samsung's stock apps like Gallery, Email, Messages etc so that everything is a bit tidier. I always use Google Apps so these are always replaced by Chrome, Photos, Messenger/Hangouts and so on. I know that Package Disabler can be used (and I do) but it would be neater if we didn't have to. It's also a pain to have to reinstate all disabled packages to carry out an update when using Package Disabler but that's another matter...
    05-23-2016 05:53 AM
    Touchwiz isn't too bad at all these days, I just wish that Samsung would update their icons. There's no cohesion between their own icons, let alone their icons and anyone else's. The phone icon is a particular (un) favourite.

The rest of Touchwiz, like menus and quick settings don't bother me at all. There's more choice and flexibility than something like a Nexus without throwing everything at it like Samsung did with the S4. There's no way the user needs visibility on every setting like Samsung gave with the S4 and they seem to have realised that and toned it down a lot.

I guess the only other thing that could be improved is with duplicate apps. It would be good if we could disable or uninstall Samsung's stock apps like Gallery, Email, Messages etc so that everything is a bit tidier. I always use Google Apps so these are always replaced by Chrome, Photos, Messenger/Hangouts and so on. I know that Package Disabler can be used (and I do) but it would be neater if we didn't have to. It's also a pain to have to reinstate all disabled packages to carry out an update when using Package Disabler but that's another matter...
    Depends on the person I guess. For most things I actually prefer Samsung apps over those provided by Google. It's only their Messages app that I replace since for my version it can't handle more than 450 characters before turning into MMS. Can't find a setting to extend the limit.
    05-23-2016 06:10 AM
    I've had HTC's and LG's in the past and always exclusively used Google apps but this Samsung is the first one where I use the default ones (except S Planner, calendar is still better).
    05-23-2016 07:21 AM
    Touchwiz has a theme engine so I can make it look entirely like stock Android if I want. Although I really don't want to, because stock Android looks so Bland and ugly. And unfortunately, you don't have a theme engine to take away the ugly of Nexus. Also, thanks to Touchwiz on iPad multi screen ability for a couple of years now. You won't be getting it until the last part of this year.

05-23-2016 07:22 AM
    ? Look nicer on S7 ? Eveeythings cartoony and others would agree

Posted via Nexus 6P
    Actually most people obviously don't agree, since more people buy these phones then buy Nexus. But what's great about Samsung is the theme engine, so if you think the icons are too cartoonish, you just change the thing. Can't change the theme on Nexus though.

05-23-2016 07:25 AM
    I agree with your last comment. The Nexus lineup infuriated me when they abandoned wireless charging. Thankfully Samsung has not only the best looking phones, but still has wireless charging.

05-23-2016 07:43 AM
    Actually most people obviously don't agree, since more people buy these phones then buy Nexus. But what's great about Samsung is the theme engine, so if you think the icons are too cartoonish, you just change the thing. Can't change the theme on Nexus though.

Sales and any one feature that you prefer do not have any correlation. If it's not true for display quality or storage options or battery life or camera quality, then it definitely isn't true for UI and icons.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2016 08:11 AM
    If you don't have a Samsung phone, you're unlikely to get the Touchwiz dialer to work on whatever you do have.
    05-23-2016 03:49 PM
    Sales and any one feature that you prefer do not have any correlation. If it's not true for display quality or storage options or battery life or camera quality, then it definitely isn't true for UI and icons.
    Well, a very large number of phone buyers either don't find Samsung's icons cartoonish, or they like cartoonish. If the icons really bothered lots of people, they'd probably buy a different phone.

Honestly, some of the things people on these forums worry about, and argue about as passionately as if it were religion, the typical phone buyer couldn't care less about. All my icons aren't the same? Some have backgrounds and some don't? Horrors! I suspect if you asked 100 people on the street about their icons, 98 of them couldn't tell you if they had backgrounds or not, if they were different, inconsistent shapes or not, or what colors they were. And if you then pointed it out to them, they'd say something like "Are you serious? Who cares? As long as I can recognize each icon and it opens the right app when I tap on it, that's all that matters. Are you crazy?"
    queenren likes this.
    05-23-2016 03:55 PM
    Well, a very large number of phone buyers either don't find Samsung's icons cartoonish, or they like cartoonish. If the icons really bothered lots of people, they'd probably buy a different phone.

Honestly, some of the things people on these forums worry about, and argue about as passionately as if it were religion, the typical phone buyer couldn't care less about. All my icons aren't the same? Some have backgrounds and some don't? Horrors! I suspect if you asked 100 people on the street about their icons, 98 of them couldn't tell you if they had backgrounds or not, if they were different, inconsistent shapes or not, or what colors they were. And if you then pointed it out to them, they'd say something like "Are you serious? Who cares? As long as I can recognize each icon and it opens the right app when I tap on it, that's all that matters. Are you crazy?"
    I'd agree with that, but I think I'd guestimate the impact of icons on sales volume to be less than .01%. They could do literally anything to the icons and most people either won't notice or won't care. And for those that do care, they probably also are the same people that know they can change it - and will change it, or they're the people that dislike sometime else about the softare and weren't going to buy that device anyways.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2016 04:00 PM
    I actually like TW now. Much better than in the past, especially with the theming options.

I find myself rotating it with Nova and Google Launchers. When I find a need for change I switch to another for awhile. When I really want a change I switch phones to my 6P and then back to the edge after a week or so. I also get my iOS fix using my iPad.
    Nova doesn't work on my phone properly. I've had to revert back to using TW because when I had Nova on my phone the screen shock in one of games and apps would randomly open without me doing anything. So far I haven't experienced that on TW
    05-23-2016 04:05 PM
    Samsung and Google have a very close relationship. That matters.

Samsung comes up with ideas and ways to implement them on their high-end devices. Then Google and Samsung get together on features that are worth putting into Android at the OS/core level, and the best engineers from both companies figure out how to fix issues that would make them run poorly on phones without the best hardware on the planet.

Samsung can then take those changes and incorporate them back into Touchwiz with their own enhancements. Everyone wins, and we get to continue to hash out how other people spend their money in ways we don't "approve of".

Buy those Samsung phones. Love those Samsung phones. You're doing it right.
    05-23-2016 06:40 PM
    I will only say this, people, most of them from forums like this one and Most reviewers (until S6 Note 5 and S7's TouchWiz versions) had always mentioned TouchWiz as a Con, well, after more than 12 flagship phones in the last 3 years, from most Android OEMs like Sony, HTC, LG, One Plus, Motorola and Samsung, I've always appreciated what TouchWiz has brought to the Android world, basically I've preferred it to all other skins and a lot more than Vanilla Android. It seems that finally Google gave up and since latest Android versions and soon N, is incorporating things that Samsung has developed and incorporated into TouchWiz for years now.

I just got the HTC 10 on Saturday, traded the S7 with the Jump on Demand and kept the S7 edge (best phone I've had in my life) and I'm testing it since then so it's been my daily driver since Saturday and boy... People talk trash about TW and praise Sense and first thing they say is that is a Pro when compare it to any Galaxy phone, wow, in simple words, I hated M7's Sense and I simply hate this version even more, first thing I did after a couple of hours trying was to install Nova, a launcher that I stopped using since I got the S6 and it's themes.

HTC themes are a joke, really can't say which is uglier, default UI or all themes I tried. Basically vanilla Android quick toggles and Settings menu, so from people that comes from TouchWiz that's simply lacking and boring. Icons are horrible for me and the weather widget... Samsung one put it to shame. For last, that app drawer scrolling vertically, mehhhh.

If it wasn't for Nova I'd return it already, so with Nova it's a keeper as its a very good phone with a solid build, still not the best for me, S7 edge is the clear winner in all areas that matters to me plus the extra unique Samsung features such as Samsung Pay and Quick Connect, and the extra things that are not on HTC 10 like the Multi windows, wireless charger and water resistant. Only thing I like more on the HTC 10 is that it's not a fingerprint magnet, not a deal breaker for me, but very nice on the HTC.

But talking about UI for now, I must honestly say that you don't know how good and convenient Touch Wiz is as a whole until you try something else and begin missing the unique Samsung features.
    05-23-2016 07:47 PM
    I will only say this, people, most of them from forums like this one and Most reviewers (until S6 Note 5 and S7's TouchWiz versions) had always mentioned TouchWiz as a Con, well, after more than 12 flagship phones in the last 3 years, from most Android OEMs like Sony, HTC, LG, One Plus, Motorola and Samsung, I've always appreciated what TouchWiz has brought to the Android world, basically I've preferred it to all other skins and a lot more than Vanilla Android. It seems that finally Google gave up and since latest Android versions and soon N, is incorporating things that Samsung has developed and incorporated into TouchWiz for years now.

I just got the HTC 10 on Saturday, traded the S7 with the Jump on Demand and kept the S7 edge (best phone I've had in my life) and I'm testing it since then so it's been my daily driver since Saturday and boy... People talk trash about TW and praise Sense and first thing they say is that is a Pro when compare it to any Galaxy phone, wow, in simple words, I hated M7's Sense and I simply hate this version even more, first thing I did after a couple of hours trying was to install Nova, a launcher that I stopped using since I got the S6 and it's themes.

HTC themes are a joke, really can't say which is uglier, default UI or all themes I tried. Basically vanilla Android quick toggles and Settings menu, so from people that comes from TouchWiz that's simply lacking and boring. Icons are horrible for me and the weather widget... Samsung one put it to shame. For last, that app drawer scrolling vertically, mehhhh.

If it wasn't for Nova I'd return it already, so with Nova it's a keeper as its a very good phone with a solid build, still not the best for me, S7 edge is the clear winner in all areas that matters to me plus the extra unique Samsung features such as Samsung Pay and Quick Connect, and the extra things that are not on HTC 10 like the Multi windows, wireless charger and water resistant. Only thing I like more on the HTC 10 is that it's not a fingerprint magnet, not a deal breaker for me, but very nice on the HTC.

But talking about UI for now, I must honestly say that you don't know how good and convenient Touch Wiz is as a whole until you try something else and begin missing the unique Samsung features.
    Well said. I'm also a big fan of TouchWiz. With stock Android, what do you get? White, white, white everywhere. It's positively blinding. Sure you can install Nova Launcher and get rid of the white in the app drawer if you want, but not in the pull-down notification shade. And not in the system apps. When are you install a TouchWiz theme, it themes everything. The stock launcher for Nexus phone does not even let you create folders inside the drawer , something I've come to rely on with TouchWiz. Again, I know you can do that with Nova Launcher, but I find their implementation more complicated than the TouchWiz way.
    05-23-2016 10:01 PM
    This is it, in a nutshell. Samsung brings a lot to the table. If you like (or need) what they offer, why not take advantage of that? If you don't, buy something else.

That's why there are over 4,000 different models of Android device out there. We shouldn't want anything done differently on that front.
    Aquila, Laura Knotek and LeoRex like this.
    05-23-2016 10:33 PM

I'm confused why you say "app drawer scrolling vertically mehhh" when Nova also scrolls vertically and you are using it
    05-23-2016 10:56 PM
    I'm confused why you say "app drawer scrolling vertically mehhh" when Nova also scrolls vertically and you are using it
    Because you can change it in Nova. I have Nova set to scroll sideways on my setup. You can't change it in the Google Launcher.
    05-23-2016 11:15 PM
    Because you can change it in Nova. I have Nova set to scroll sideways on my setup. You can't change it in the Google Launcher.
    Can you please tell me where that setting is in the Nova setting? I prefer horizontal to vertical too. Learn something new every day xd
    05-23-2016 11:27 PM
    Can you please tell me where that setting is in the Nova setting? I prefer horizontal to vertical too. Learn something new every day xd
    Long press back button/go to app drawer > Nova Settings > App and Widget Drawer > App Drawer Style

I suggest you check out Nova Settings. There's so much you can do.
    05-23-2016 11:45 PM
    Long press back button/go to app drawer > Nova Settings > App and Widget Drawer > App Drawer Style

I suggest you check out Nova Settings. There's so much you can do.
    There is so much to learn on an android phone. I have had Nova Prime all this time and didn't know I could do that lol
    05-24-2016 01:59 AM
    I was talking about the HTC Sense App drawer, no way to change that, at least in Nova you do.
    05-24-2016 04:10 AM
85 1234