05-30-2016 06:24 PM
85 ... 234
tools
    My first android phone was a Samsung, the second another Samsung and after that one no more. I agree with you that the Touchwiz interface is ugly and sometimes distracting. It has no coherence so far, some things are plain and some others are colorful. Some things are modernly designed and some old school. To me it looks like something unpolished (like the first Andorid iterations), but that doesn't mean that it can't be for other people the beauty itself. I agree with someone here that Android did something right: "choice".

I respected Samsung because of their hardware design but I also despise them because of their drawbacks. I had a lot of issues with both the S2 and S4 I had. Mostly camera crashes, radio instability, regularly becoming hot as hell; that added to my disliking of the interface. I ended putting CyanogenMod on them and started to understand why the standard Android interface was better (for me at least).

I also started to learn the concept of simplicity over feature bloat on apps (this also traduce to feature bloat on the phone, I never used Samsung features... they were mostly gimmicks). I started using Google Keep, a really simple note taking app, and I finally learned that I don't need one hundred features I will most probably won't use. What I do need is having the information everywhere and not worrying about moving my data or losing it.

Fast forward to today. I don't like the current Nexus phones lineup because of their design and hardware specifications but I do want a bare Android experience.I'm not like some people here that don't need to have an updated phone. I can stand some months of delay but I can't be using an OS that it's a year behind. That's what Samsung means and it still happens for the people I know that use an S6 nowadays. They are still waiting for Marshmallow to be released for their carrier.

So I ended buying an unlocked phone with no carrier tie and with a closer bare Android experience. That's the Moto X Pure. And I can say some 8 months later that I'm not regretful. I do like the hardware, despite being heavier and that I don't have a notification led (I do not like active display). I left camera crashes, radio instability and a lot of other issues in the past.

So, I do think that Touchwiz is an abomination. Both design and feature wise. I already left Samsung in the phone arena, I'm changing my TV to SONY because they decided to overprice their options and left Android TV out of the equation. There is only a Samsung refrigerator left at my house that will most probably be replaced by another brand in a couple of years.
    05-25-2016 07:50 AM
    Guess you haven't used the Galaxy S7 which has less of the Touchwiz garbage than when you had one years prior. It has changed you know. When I had the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge I saw absolutely nothing wrong with Touchwiz.
    05-25-2016 08:41 AM
    Well yes, common thing. 98 percent of the people who bash TouchWiz haven't used the S7. Which is why although I respect their experience with it (S4 was terrible), they sound incredible dated.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-25-2016 08:55 AM
    The s7 edge has actually got me back into Samsung. I'm looking to get my dad a new tv and Samsung is currently the frontrunner as I've been so happy with my edge that I'd like to give their other products a go

05-25-2016 08:56 AM
    My first android phone was a Samsung, the second another Samsung and after that one no more. I agree with you that the Touchwiz interface is ugly and sometimes distracting. It has no coherence so far, some things are plain and some others are colorful. Some things are modernly designed and some old school. To me it looks like something unpolished (like the first Andorid iterations), but that doesn't mean that it can't be for other people the beauty itself. I agree with someone here that Android did something right: "choice".

I respected Samsung because of their hardware design but I also despise them because of their drawbacks. I had a lot of issues with both the S2 and S4 I had. Mostly camera crashes, radio instability, regularly becoming hot as hell; that added to my disliking of the interface. I ended putting CyanogenMod on them and started to understand why the standard Android interface was better (for me at least).

I also started to learn the concept of simplicity over feature bloat on apps (this also traduce to feature bloat on the phone, I never used Samsung features... they were mostly gimmicks). I started using Google Keep, a really simple note taking app, and I finally learned that I don't need one hundred features I will most probably won't use. What I do need is having the information everywhere and not worrying about moving my data or losing it.

Fast forward to today. I don't like the current Nexus phones lineup because of their design and hardware specifications but I do want a bare Android experience.I'm not like some people here that don't need to have an updated phone. I can stand some months of delay but I can't be using an OS that it's a year behind. That's what Samsung means and it still happens for the people I know that use an S6 nowadays. They are still waiting for Marshmallow to be released for their carrier.

So I ended buying an unlocked phone with no carrier tie and with a closer bare Android experience. That's the Moto X Pure. And I can say some 8 months later that I'm not regretful. I do like the hardware, despite being heavier and that I don't have a notification led (I do not like active display). I left camera crashes, radio instability and a lot of other issues in the past.

So, I do think that Touchwiz is an abomination. Both design and feature wise. I already left Samsung in the phone arena, I'm changing my TV to SONY because they decided to overprice their options and left Android TV out of the equation. There is only a Samsung refrigerator left at my house that will most probably be replaced by another brand in a couple of years.
    S6 already has MM for quite a while now. Anybody still not using MM is just unlucky their region got the later draw in the regional lottery of who goes first, or has to blame their carriers.
    ironass likes this.
    05-25-2016 09:20 AM
    If you don't have a Samsung phone, you're unlikely to get the Touchwiz dialer to work on whatever you do have.
    Thanks meyerweb!

I thought that a TW thread would be the best place to about a TW dialer. Obviously, others didn't.

Looks like I have to find the TW dialer lookalike...
    05-26-2016 08:51 PM
    I'd rather have a Nexus with the camera, screen, processor and ram of an s7 edge but it doesn't exist. That being said, and I KNOW people say this every year, but this year it really is true... but Samsung really stepped it up with TouchWiz this time around and it's really not bad.
    ironass likes this.
    05-27-2016 08:48 AM
    I actually like TW now. Much better than in the past, especially with the theming options.

I find myself rotating it with Nova and Google Launchers. When I find a need for change I switch to another for awhile. When I really want a change I switch phones to my 6P and then back to the edge after a week or so. I also get my iOS fix using my iPad.
    How long ago is "in the past" out of interest? The last Samsung I had was the S3 and grew to hate it, at which point I flashed Cyanogen mod. Went with the M8 after that, and have loved Sense, feeling no need to root.with a Theme over Touchwiz is there a performance hit? Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

05-30-2016 01:18 PM
    How long ago is "in the past" out of interest? The last Samsung I had was the S3 and grew to hate it, at which point I flashed Cyanogen mod. Went with the M8 after that, and have loved Sense, feeling no need to root.with a Theme over Touchwiz is there a performance hit? Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I think the general consensus is that it stopped being terrible after the Galaxy S5.
    05-30-2016 04:33 PM

S3 was my first touchwiz phone. No performance hit that I can tell.
    05-30-2016 06:24 PM
85 ... 234