How to customize the notification sound for texts received from Outlook

mah3505

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, everyone! Long member, first post.

This is driving me nuts and I can usually figure out how to do stuff myself. I set up my work email to send me text notifications when I get new email (I can't add my work email account to my phone). Since this isn't a normal text, I would like to set a custom notification for texts from Outlook.

When I got the first text, I added the email address to my contacts. Note that the texts are sent from an email address, not a phone number.

Within the messages app (the stock Samsung one), I clicked "More" and selected "view contact details". From there, I can add custom sounds for both the ringtone and the message sound for the contact.

I've changed both of those, but I still get the same notification that I get for other texts. I've tried a lot of things and did lots of Google searches and lots of reading posts on this site and I can't find anyway to do this. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes once you select these, there is a save button in the upper right that you have to press or the sound won't save. I know it sounds silly, but I have just hit the back button loads of times, just assuming it auto saved. Make sure you double check that! And glad to see you on here, btw! Welcome!

mah3505

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply and thanks for the welcome!

I just double checked, and sure enough, both the ringtone and message tone are set to my custom sound. Could the problem be that the contact doesn't have a phone number? Or maybe because the text comes from an email address?

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs