How do you use your Edge Panel?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Those of you who don't use it, I am curious why you bought the Edge phone over the non-Edge phone if you're not interested in using the Edge features?

I never really planed on using any of the edge features anyways because I knew they were not going to be what I was used to because I have a Note Edge.

Anyone who has a Note Edge phone, knows that those edge features actually were useful. You could be using an app and someone calls and you could see the caller ID in the edge panel and answer or decline the call all from the edge panel without ever leaving the app you were in or without being interupted while typing something. You could control music from within the edge panel all without leaving the app you are within UNLIKE the current S7 Edge where you use an edge panel and it blurs out the rest of the screen which makes all that screen useless.

Notifications would display in the edge panel as well and it would show you the entire message so you could read it and tapping on it would take you to the app. That doesn't happen on the S6/S7.

There are many other edge features too on the Note Edge that were never brought over to the S6/S7 Edge.

Samsung took what was actually useful on the Note Edge and didn't add any of that into the S6/S7 Edge and ruined it.

I'm happy that I bought the S7 Edge, and I actually own two of them. I knew the edge features would not be something I would use but the screen is bigger then the S7 and the battery life is better and yet it's a bit smaller then my Note Edge and smaller than an iPhone 6S+ but yet has the same screen size.

I've actually been using my Note Edge as my daily phone again and leaving my S7 Edge at home. I'm not going to sell either of my 2 S7 Edge because I still use them at home (I have five T-Mobile lines) it's just as I prefer to use a phone that is much more useful to me when I am at my job or out with friends. I even ordered to more extra batteries for it last week.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't into the edge phones, I got my S7e because of the larger screen and battery, plus I got it at a very good price. I use de edge panel several times a day and love it. My set up is apps edge, people edge, cnn, nba, and yahoo sports. Got used to swiping quickly to get to them and the only gimmick I see with it is that it could be implemented to other Samsung phones. To me the edge screen just means a narrower phone. Oh, another good use that I have for it, I'm not a south paw but placed the edge panel to the left, is using the edge panel marker to tell me where the volume buttons are. With some cases, like the Spigen slim armor it's extremely hard to tell where they are, looking at the screen for a second is faster then fumbling around looking for the button.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Are there only certain apps that will work for the edge screen?

I'm thinking of moving to the S7E from the G4 and just curious if the edge screen works with Textra and Nova Launcher (if it affects the use of edge at all)?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm thinking of moving to the S7E from the G4 and just curious if the edge screen works with Textra and Nova Launcher (if it affects the use of edge at all)?

Edge still works with Nova installed. You can any app to the apps edge panel, even 3rd party like Textra, but the tasks edge will only allow tasks from stock apps. So you'll be able to put a shortcut to the Textra app itself but you won't be able to have a shortcut to go straight to a new message or direct to a contact in it.
There's third party app specific edge panels appearing all the time though (Wanderlust, Todoist, Gmail, etc currently) so maybe there will be a Textra one popping up soon.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love the Edge Panel! I use mine all of the time. I have shortcuts set up so I can text or call certain contacts directly. I have some of my most frequently used apps (I don't like a lot of homescreens - no more than two and not too cluttered). I use the weather panel and the multi window panel. I also have the frequent contacts panel, but I only use that for the colors - I can identify who has texted me by just looking at the color on the edge of the screen. I also have a panel where I can control my music player.

I also think it's awesome that people are adding Edge Panels to the Samsung App Store. When the original Note Edge was released, 3rd party panels were non-existent. Now, there are a number of them available.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Those that don't use the edge screen I am sure purchased for size and or battery.

I personally like the edge screen cause I was using Action Launchers slide out screen before I had the edge and now the edge panel handles that for me.

• Apps Edge
  • People Edge
  • Calendar

TIP: If you know someone with an S7/S7E phone you can write messages to one another on People Edge over their contact image.

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I really like the whole edge concept (Note edge/S7E) that said I don't use the edge screen as much as i did on the Note edge, I think this is because on the Note it was an independent screen element that was always there. On the S7E it seems more like an app you have to activate and it takes over your screen. I am really hoping that the next version of the Note Edge will keep the original screen type. (I think it's more useful as a separate screen element that acts independent of the main screen) just MYHO..

Cheers
BR

+1000. This has been my biggest disappointment with the S7Edege. I owned the original Note Edge, and found the independent edge panel much more useful than the S7Edge. On the original Note Edge the panel was always visible thus making apps, or folders filled with apps, much easier to access than the hidden panel.

I find myself with the S7Edge using the app launcher at the bottom of the screen, and just scrolling to the app I want. This method appears to be much easier than swiping over the edge panel. On the original Note Edge I hardly ever used the app launcher since everything I needed was on the independent panel. That said, I believe the S7Edge is the most amazing looking phone I have ever owned.

desitunez

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Hardly use it

People Edge - it never save the contacts for me , i add users , but they disappear when look for them again . Anyone have that issue.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't into the edge phones, I got my S7e because of the larger screen and battery, plus I got it at a very good price. I use de edge panel several times a day and love it. My set up is apps edge, people edge, cnn, nba, and yahoo sports. Got used to swiping quickly to get to them and the only gimmick I see with it is that it could be implemented to other Samsung phones. To me the edge screen just means a narrower phone. Oh, another good use that I have for it, I'm not a south paw but placed the edge panel to the left, is using the edge panel marker to tell me where the volume buttons are. With some cases, like the Spigen slim armor it's extremely hard to tell where they are, looking at the screen for a second is faster then fumbling around looking for the button.

That a cool idea to place the Edge Panel tab where the volume buttons are!

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

If Textra has a widget, you could put the widget on the Widget Panel, but otherwise there is not yet a texting panel other than the stock Messaging app - and I wouldn't recommend said panel because it doesn't show photos or show that there's a message with a photo in it (just completely ignores image texts, including the text sent with them). I don't know about other launchers, as I am fine with TouchWiz.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Those that don't use the edge screen I am sure purchased for size and or battery.

I personally like the edge screen cause I was using Action Launchers slide out screen before I had the edge and now the edge panel handles that for me.

• Apps Edge
  • People Edge
  • Calendar

TIP: If you know someone with an S7/S7E phone you can write messages to one another on People Edge over their contact image.

I wish they would add the OnCircle feature (including the drawings) to the S6 Edge, as I know nobody with an S7 Edge and one person with an S6 Edge. It would be great if they could make OnCircle an app for every phone so you can send the stuff to anyone, too.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who explained why they chose the Edge even though they don't use the Edge Panel and such! I do remember seeing the Note Edge with the apps on the Edge, but forgot about it until you mentioned that's how it worked. I do think that is handy, but I think I prefer the use of the whole screen for everything. Having notifications and such pop up along it would be kinda nice, but I am okay with pulling down the panel from the top (perhaps because I am used to doing so from my previous phone), which also allows me to control my music if it is playing (I also have a widget for that).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I like that the Edge doesn't interfere with my screen. It's there if I need it and not when I don't. I also like how it cleans up my interface.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I absolutely love the Edge Panel! I use mine all of the time. I have shortcuts set up so I can text or call certain contacts directly. I have some of my most frequently used apps (I don't like a lot of homescreens - no more than two and not too cluttered). I use the weather panel and the multi window panel. I also have the frequent contacts panel, but I only use that for the colors - I can identify who has texted me by just looking at the color on the edge of the screen. I also have a panel where I can control my music player.

I also think it's awesome that people are adding Edge Panels to the Samsung App Store. When the original Note Edge was released, 3rd party panels were non-existent. Now, there are a number of them available.
What is exactly this multi-window panel? And how can I do to see the color of people whom texted me? I settled my panel to 100% of transparency level.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
App shortcuts to save home screen space, people (tho I rarely use this one) and data (since i burned through my data last month and am watching it like a hawk now).

Would like one for Google keep

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've just switched mine off. I don't really use it other than occasionally activating it by accident! So I thought I'd try with it off to see if I miss it and to see if disabling it affects battery life at all.

I bought the edge for the battery and screen size. I would have bought a flat screen if it was an option although I do like how the edge screen makes the phone narrower for the given screen size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz