Mediaserver battery drain

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
In the past, I've had a game called Bejeweled always running in the background causing mediaserver to be high. I wouldn't even have to open and play it. Deleted and fixed the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Macbera

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your help.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge "Duos" and since the beginning, I have been extremely pleased with the battery duration.
Until today...
Same :( problem: "Media server" draining 53% of the battery, out of the blue...
While reading your comments, I remembered that when I turned the phone on this morning, the theme I was using (it's called "Charisma", has a picture of a black panther) did flicker a lot and didn't seem stable. The phone got very hot during hours and battery got almost drained by 2:00PM.
So I just chose another theme. and everything came back to normal.
I hope that this experience will help some of you
OK, so, 24 hours later, the infamous "mediaserver" is still draining my battery. No longer at a 53% rate, but at a more moderate (though unacceptable) 23% rate.
So I went along with Plan B, took out the SDXC card (SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I), did a complete back up, erased the card and then formatted it with the phone's format utility, and restored all the files on the card.
24 more hours later, no signal of "mediaserver" draining the battery. Yeah!

Last edited:

AZweimiller

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening to me. I notice the phone getting hot and when I look at CPU processes with Simple System Monitor I see mediaserver using 35℅ of the CPU. I can force stop Chrome and mediaserver stops every time. Uninstalled Chrome for a week and never saw it. Installed Chrome Dev and had the issue within 24 hrs. Phone hot in hand, discover mediaserver pegging CPU and only way to stop is reboot or stop Chrome. In every instance I am not using Chrome when the issue occurs. I am using other apps. I have a 128gb sd card with no media export m except phone pics and videos on DCIM.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I've encountered this recently and so has my Mrs's S7. Happened on other phones and it's always to do with it getting stuck in a loop when cataloguing media. Best thing is to backup SD card then format it, clear phone cache and delete any recent files, be it images taken or pdf's etc downloaded.

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah when it happened to me was a faulty SD card, think it was when I'd saved my spotify playlists on there and some of the songs corrupted so the phone was constantly trying to read them.

AZweimiller

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening to me. I notice the phone getting hot and when I look at CPU processes with Simple System Monitor I see mediaserver using 35℅ of the CPU. I can force stop Chrome and mediaserver stops every time. Uninstalled Chrome for a week and never saw it. Installed Chrome Dev and had the issue within 24 hrs. Phone hot in hand, discover mediaserver pegging CPU and only way to stop is reboot or stop Chrome. In every instance I am not using Chrome when the issue occurs. I am using other apps. I have a 128gb sd card with no media export m except phone pics and videos on DCIM.
Happened again. Was in an app other than Chrome for about half hour and felt phone getting hot. Process monitor showed mediaserver using 35% again and once again a force stop on Chrome fixed it immediately.

Natakukun

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
i'm suddenly having this exact same issue, mediaserver is using up 53% of my battery and my phone is getting hot and going slow.

I have taken out my memory card but i'm still having the same issue

Exit35

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have been having this problem on and off over the last month in my s7. Never had it on my old s5. I removed all media, then my micro so and I still had probs.

Anyway I solved my issue by ditching chrome and forcing it to stop. I believe it was to do with ads, especially auto play ads.

I am now using Samsungs own browser with adblock plus and not yet a sniff of any media server raising it's head. This is after a few days browsing, viewing YouTube and taking pics.

Might be worth giving another browser a go.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Mediaserver does show its using 38% of my battery when I'm using Power Amp, but my battery only drains about 3-4% within 6 hours so I wasn't too concerned about it. I don't have this issue with my Note 5 still running on Lollipop. I wonder if this is a Marshmallow issue with newer Samsung devices? Also both my S7 Edge and Note 5 are Exynos variants.

AZweimiller

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
i'm suddenly having this exact same issue, mediaserver is using up 53% of my battery and my phone is getting hot and going slow.

I have taken out my memory card but i'm still having the same issue

Please see my comments above. This has nothing to do with SD Card or media. It is Chrome. I just had it happen again and had to kill Chrome to make it stop. I removed my SD Card and it made no difference.

AZweimiller

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this problem on and off over the last month in my s7. Never had it on my old s5. I removed all media, then my micro so and I still had probs.

Anyway I solved my issue by ditching chrome and forcing it to stop. I believe it was to do with ads, especially auto play ads.

I am now using Samsungs own browser with adblock plus and not yet a sniff of any media server raising it's head. This is after a few days browsing, viewing YouTube and taking pics.

Might be worth giving another browser a go.

It's definitely Chrome. See my earlier comments in this thread. Here is some corroboration on Reddit. The OP deleted his post for some reason so I am linking the Google Cache version.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....roblem_causing_the/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

fendushi1

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I've got the dreaded mediaserver battery drain.

The phone is running hot, it's also gone janky and a little less responsive and the battery is being obliterated to the point where it's draining at a rate similar to having the screen always on, also stopping Doze from kicking in.

I've deleted app installs since I noticed the problem (thought Spotify was the culprit but no). I've wiped cache from the bootloader and from Storage menu.

What else should I try before I resort to factory reset?

Thanks...

This happened to me a few days ago too. Sadly like others here have reported, the cause of it is Google Chrome. Its not the SD card.

I found this out after formatting the card, swapping it with another but mediaserver keeps climbing to the top of battery rankings.

Problem was solved after force stopping Chrome, rebooted and used Samsung browser.

Its a pity, I really like Chrome because of the synced bookmarks and history across all of my devices. Hope this gets fixed.

AlexVK

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully I can bump this thread without breaking forum rules.

It began to happen to me after 3 months of good service (got my S7 end of May), and it's driving me nuts. The thing is becoming hot and sluggish, not something you'd expect from a 700€ flagship!

I don't have an SD card, use the phone mainly for social networks, checking my balance and Internet (so no games and funny stuff installed).

I was thinking at what can have changed, and I can only find one thing: I recently changed my lock picture from the default Samsung wave to the Witcher medallion picture that looks so cool:

400.jpg

I cleaned the cache, deleted all image and music files (not a lot, just copied a bit).
Still the same issue!

Eventually reading this thread, I decided to try another theme, switching to the flat colorful android theme (not my favorite as I prefer darker tone, but it's for test purposes).

If it fixes, it still gets me confused - how, in 2016 on a flagship phone, can a blatant bug like that still happen.

Sebastian Brzegowy

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Guys,

That is related to Chrome browser. The same was happening to my S7, SD card was fine and the same was happening after its format.
Stop using Chrome and you will see the problem has gone.

Seb

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It might not always be Chrome as it started today for me and I've had Chrome disabled since day 1 and have used the Samsung Browser. Seeing as it started today, I'm blaming Allo for now.

AlbanReditHere

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
S7 with 6.0.1 on my phone (no SD card) still doing it to this day. What a disgrace for Google considering the number of years this problem has been going on. Drains over 50% of my battery, overheats, freezes apps.

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I have recently been suffering this issue on my Samsung S7e after several months of excellent performance. Wiping cache was only working for a short while. Have read the above and disabled Chrome and now using Samsung browser. So far, no more issues with Mediaserver but going to keep an eye on it. I have submitted a review for Chrome on the Playstore as Google seem very active in replying to reviews.

Hegrin Helsvord

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Unbelievable! This 'mediaserver bug' is around since 2012 (yeas, I googled it) and in 4 years Google was unable or unwilling to solve it (and it IS solvable as both iPhones and Windows phones have no problem with their similar software). This blasted bug eats my battery in minutes!

Either they

1. can't figure it out
or
2. don't give a damn as long as they have your money.

Shame on you, Google!

Hegrin Helsvord

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
By the way, I have no SD card, and NOTHING (restarting my S7, factory reset, deleting ALL my pictures and videos, changing theme, deleting Chrome and replacing it with stock Samsung etc) nothing solved the problem. I always appears after a while which means it's a poorly designed OS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci