12-20-2016 01:35 PM
44 12
tools
    I've got the dreaded mediaserver battery drain.

The phone is running hot, it's also gone janky and a little less responsive and the battery is being obliterated to the point where it's draining at a rate similar to having the screen always on, also stopping Doze from kicking in.

I've deleted app installs since I noticed the problem (thought Spotify was the culprit but no). I've wiped cache from the bootloader and from Storage menu.

What else should I try before I resort to factory reset?

Thanks...
    05-17-2016 02:28 PM
    Are you using an SD Card? If so, this might be the reason if the card is damaged or if a corrupted file is there. Same thing if you have a corrupt file (media file, so picture, video, music, etc.) in internal memory.
    mru007 likes this.
    05-17-2016 02:45 PM
    No SD card but suppose I could delete all photos and ringtones and see what happens.

Is there anyway to pinpoint a corrupt file ? App or on PC maybe...
    05-17-2016 02:48 PM
    CHKDSK on a computer might do the trick, but usually it would show up in your gallery as a 'broken' thumbnail. No such thing for music, though.
    MartinMPL likes this.
    05-17-2016 03:19 PM
    I too have been having this issue just recently.

I've been on Android for around 3 years now and never experienced mediaserver issues before. It's absolutely killing my battery, causing the phone to lag and heat up and general slowdown.

I have tried formatting the sd card but this seems to only fix things temporarily. I hope it may be an issue with the latest update and it's something they'll remedy.
    05-17-2016 03:48 PM
    I too have been having this issue just recently.

I've been on Android for around 3 years now and never experienced mediaserver issues before. It's absolutely killing my battery, causing the phone to lag and heat up and general slowdown.

I have tried formatting the sd card but this seems to only fix things temporarily. I hope it may be an issue with the latest update and it's something they'll remedy.
    If you DO have an SD card, try removing it (or using a different one). Does it solve the problem? If so, even though you're re-formatting your card, maybe the card is either already damaged (and when you start writing data and it gets to the damaged portion it will start giving you issues) or if you use with a PC connection, some files might be corrupt.
    mru007 likes this.
    05-17-2016 04:42 PM
    I unmounted it, charged the phone fully, rebooted and still mediaserver was the biggest battery drain.

I do have a number of streaming and DLNA apps and I wonder if this could be part of the problem. The biggest issue is trying to isolate whatever is causing mediaserver to run. I'm starting to think a reset is my best course of action - which sucks. I have my lovely S7E just how I want it!
    05-17-2016 04:50 PM
    I unmounted it, charged the phone fully, rebooted and still mediaserver was the biggest battery drain.

I do have a number of streaming and DLNA apps and I wonder if this could be part of the problem. The biggest issue is trying to isolate whatever is causing mediaserver to run. I'm starting to think a reset is my best course of action - which sucks. I have my lovely S7E just how I want it!
    Before factory-resetting anything, try booting up into Safe Mode. This stops all 3rd-party apps from starting up at boot. So if it IS an app that's causing it, you won't have the battery drain in this mode. If it's a file or a different issue, then you'd have this on this mode as well. In Safe Mode, 3rd party apps can only run if you specifically fire them up, so it lets you try out all apps, one by one, and see which one causes the drain, if any.
    mugwai likes this.
    05-17-2016 04:55 PM
    Before factory-resetting anything, try booting up into Safe Mode. This stops all 3rd-party apps from starting up at boot. So if it IS an app that's causing it, you won't have the battery drain in this mode. If it's a file or a different issue, then you'd have this on this mode as well. In Safe Mode, 3rd party apps can only run if you specifically fire them up, so it lets you try out all apps, one by one, and see which one causes the drain, if any.
    Well, having done a safe mode reboot, there seemed to be no mediaserver issue. Upon putting my phone back into normal mode, I decided to change the theme.. Just a hunch I had really.. And so far it seems to have solved the issue. I'm highly surprised and it may just be a coincidence so far but the phone is running much smoother also.

I'll update if it comes back, but for now, thanks for your help!
    05-17-2016 06:37 PM
    Maybe a bad theme file? If you don't mind me asking, could you tell us which theme you had applied? Maybe other users having the same problem are using that one.

Glad it seems to be better for you, though!
    mugwai likes this.
    05-17-2016 11:43 PM
    I'll look into that too. I've just switched from Material Design to Material Dark.
    05-18-2016 01:16 AM
    Nope, it's back! Ha.

It's interesting that it doesn't seem to kick in immediately. This morning after a full recharge it took about 90 minutes before it started up and now it's draining the battery massively.

The only apps I've used in that time are Chrome and whatsapp.
    05-18-2016 01:22 AM
    So with my previous post in mind I went and deleted Chrome Beta and switched to the stock Chrome. It's been 2 hours now and no sign of any mediaserver. I'll update if it changes.
    05-18-2016 03:24 AM
    Also using Chrome Beta. I'll try it. It has updated in the right time frame.
    05-18-2016 03:28 AM
    I've uninstalled Chrome Beta and charged my phone back to 100%. No sign of Mediaserver so far.

Unfortunately Chrome is a battery hog in itself, which is the reason I prefer Chrome Beta...
    05-18-2016 06:03 AM
    After 5 hours mediaserver accounts for just 3% of battery usage now. And considering I've played music and downloaded apps today I imagine that's a normal amount.

Personally I'm not yet sold on any mobile browser. Dolphin slowed my phone down a crazy amount and Chrome isn't much better, plus it has limited customisation options.

So anyway, whilst it's not a guarantee that Chrome Beta is solely responsible for the mediaserver bug, it seems to make a massive difference without it.
    05-18-2016 06:17 AM
    I'm sure in playing media, Mediaserver has some part to play so a small percentage of use should be acceptable. I don't really listen to music on my phone so haven't seen it higher up the list as much.

So far so good and at least the phone is "Dozing" now.
    05-18-2016 06:20 AM
    If it IS the Chrome Beta app, make sure you send the bug report to Google!
    05-18-2016 09:28 AM
    I have boot into Safe Mode but it steel appear
    07-22-2016 09:39 AM
    I have boot into Safe Mode but it steel appear
    If that's the case then it's a system app causing it. Try clearing cache/data from that app and if not, then try clearing your device's cache from Recovery. If that doesn't do it, then I'm afraid the only option left is to do a factory reset.
    07-22-2016 01:41 PM
    In the past, I've had a game called Bejeweled always running in the background causing mediaserver to be high. I wouldn't even have to open and play it. Deleted and fixed the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-23-2016 09:36 AM
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge "Duos" and since the beginning, I have been extremely pleased with the battery duration.
    Until today...
    Same problem: "Media server" draining 53% of the battery, out of the blue...
    While reading your comments, I remembered that when I turned the phone on this morning, the theme I was using (it's called "Charisma", has a picture of a black panther) did flicker a lot and didn't seem stable. The phone got very hot during hours and battery got almost drained by 2:00PM.
    So I just chose another theme. and everything came back to normal.
    I hope that this experience will help some of you
    OK, so, 24 hours later, the infamous "mediaserver" is still draining my battery. No longer at a 53% rate, but at a more moderate (though unacceptable) 23% rate.
    So I went along with Plan B, took out the SDXC card (SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I), did a complete back up, erased the card and then formatted it with the phone's format utility, and restored all the files on the card.
    24 more hours later, no signal of "mediaserver" draining the battery. Yeah!
    08-11-2016 09:28 PM
    This has been happening to me. I notice the phone getting hot and when I look at CPU processes with Simple System Monitor I see mediaserver using 35℅ of the CPU. I can force stop Chrome and mediaserver stops every time. Uninstalled Chrome for a week and never saw it. Installed Chrome Dev and had the issue within 24 hrs. Phone hot in hand, discover mediaserver pegging CPU and only way to stop is reboot or stop Chrome. In every instance I am not using Chrome when the issue occurs. I am using other apps. I have a 128gb sd card with no media export m except phone pics and videos on DCIM.
    08-22-2016 09:22 PM
    I've encountered this recently and so has my Mrs's S7. Happened on other phones and it's always to do with it getting stuck in a loop when cataloguing media. Best thing is to backup SD card then format it, clear phone cache and delete any recent files, be it images taken or pdf's etc downloaded.
    08-22-2016 09:26 PM
    Yeah when it happened to me was a faulty SD card, think it was when I'd saved my spotify playlists on there and some of the songs corrupted so the phone was constantly trying to read them.
    08-23-2016 04:13 AM
44 12