Some 8 months after its release in the U.S.A. the U.K. is now receiving Android Pay. The app is now available for download from the Google Play Store for U.K. users to install.

Android Pay UK explained: Release date, how it works and where it's supported

Welcome to the Android Pay Help Center

Google Play Store download for U.K. users.... Android Pay
    05-18-2016 03:54 AM
    Thanks for that. I've been checking occasionally since yesterday to see when it was up for the UK. All set up and good to go.
    05-18-2016 05:45 AM
    Wonder if that will encourage Samsung to get their finger out and get Samsung pay released in the UK too!

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-18-2016 05:56 AM
    Wonder if that will encourage Samsung to get their finger out and get Samsung pay released in the UK too!

I don't really see the advantage of Samsung Pay here in the UK. Can't imagine the MST technology it uses on top of the NFC will be of much use to us with chip and pin being so prevalent.
    05-18-2016 07:44 AM
    I don't really see the advantage of Samsung Pay here in the UK. Can't imagine the MST technology it uses on top of the NFC will be of much use to us with chip and pin being so prevalent.
    I'm not so sure... Most chip and pin card readers also have a magnetic strip reader as well. My impression is if you swipe a card that has an embedded chip it tells the terminal forcing you to use the (more secure) PIN. Presumably Samsung Pay doesn't do this allowing you to make the payment using the strip reader. Until we actually get hold of it in the UK we won't know for sure.

Still, it would make a nice backup for places that don't yet support NFC.
    05-18-2016 10:23 AM
    Do I need to have NFC permanently on to use this? I thought it turned it on automatically or maybe I'm confusing it with Samsung Pay? In any case how can it detect a payment unless NFC is always on?
    05-18-2016 10:30 AM
    Do I need to have NFC permanently on to use this? I thought it turned it on automatically or maybe I'm confusing it with Samsung Pay? In any case how can it detect a payment unless NFC is always on?
    It would be handier to have it always on but you could just switch it when you think you'll need it. Won't use extra battery always on though.
    05-18-2016 10:32 AM
    I'm annoyed that barclays have decided to go there own way.

So I have to wait until next month.....for them to add it to their banking app.
    05-19-2016 04:58 AM
    I managed to successfully get two Halifax cards registered. One debit and one credit. Used it at work where they accept contact less and apple pay and it crashed two different card readers. Yet contact less has worked fine for months for me via the same actual cards.... Not a good start.

Not sure if it's their tills or me but this will severely restrict it's use for me if I can't use it at work!

05-19-2016 05:32 AM
    I registered my First Direct card and used it twice at the canteen where I work - was very quick and easy with both going through first time. I was impressed!
    05-19-2016 02:08 PM
    What other cards can you add to this? I've heard you can add things like store cards but I was hoping something like a fuel card could be added too. Would negate the need for a wallet altogether.
    05-20-2016 05:11 PM
    I've added in my IKEA FAMILY card and that works well. It generates a qr code. I've also added in wickes.

However when I add in tesco it just has the number and not the bar code so not as useful.

05-21-2016 12:56 AM
    Can this be used at any contactless terminal or is it just the ones where Apple Pay also work. I'm confused as to how this technology works.
    05-21-2016 02:27 PM
    Theoretically at any contact less terminal. I just used it at the pub.

05-21-2016 03:26 PM
    annoyingly, my bank (Cooperative, Manchester) does not support it either (they don't support apple pay)
    I wish that PayPal extended their program to support nfs/contactless payments.
    As we've had contactless (& chip 'n' pin) bank cards in Europe for some time, then smartphone 'pay' seems a bit redundant...
    06-13-2016 07:30 AM