I put my phone on charge at night when I go to bed. around 2am. Sometimes it dies before then, as early as 11am (in this case, I usually charge it until it gets to 20-25% so that I can use it until bed time). I get up at 7:45am for work. I have a wireless charger at my desk and I am wondering how bad is it for the battery if I leave my phone on that wireless charger most of the day. it would get removed for light usage and my hour lunch break. but mostly would stay on charge. the phone does indicate it is not charging once its at 100% (I assume there is some sort of on/off charging cycle used to keep the batter there). this is the Galaxy S7 Edge and I would like the battery to maintain most of its usefulness for at least a year... maybe two (if the next galaxy sucks as bad as the S6, I will once again skip a generation and wait). leaving it on charge would keep me from potentially dealing with a dead battery around 11pm. Thank you!
    05-18-2016 07:48 AM
    Hi

Here are a few of helpful links for you to get the most out of your battery. I think they agree, that keeping it above 50% all of them time, is healthy for your battery.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

How to charge a phone’s battery, tips: stop charging from zero to 100% - How-To - PC Advisor

3 Ways to Make Your Cell Phone Battery Last Longer

Hope this helps

Chris
    05-18-2016 05:02 PM
    Sometimes it dies before then, as early as 11am (in this case, I usually charge it until it gets to 20-25%
    You should NEVER treat a battery like that! Set the shutoff to 39% or 40%.

I am wondering how bad is it for the battery if I leave my phone on that wireless charger most of the day.
    Aside from any heat issues, none at all. If, when the phone gets to 100%, it's not overly hot, you can leave it on the charger for months. (There's a circuit in the phone that disconnects the battery from the charger when it's at 100%.)

I would like the battery to maintain most of its usefulness for at least a year... maybe two
    It won't if you keep draining it to way below 20% - even with 20% it probably won't last 2 years. 40% to 50%? My V-551 battery is still going strong - after 11 years of never dropping below 40%. (It's been plugged into the charger for 6 months at a time once in a while - it's a spare phone and gets covered with junk until I'm looking for it.)

leaving it on charge would keep me from potentially dealing with a dead battery around 11pm.
    Leaving it on charge ll the time would too. Then pick it up when you need it or when you're leaving. It won't harm anything. High discharge rate (to a low charge on the battery) won't "hurt" either - it kills. Lithium is NOT a deep-discharge technology (but it's 29.5 times as light as lead, which IS deep-discharge.)
    05-18-2016 05:09 PM
    You wont maintain the battery for a year if you keep discharging the phone til it shuts off. As mentioned above, if you can help it don't let it go down below 40%
    05-18-2016 05:30 PM