It's been charging for a month!

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
So I bought a S7 edge to use as my home phone. But it has never been in plugged, it's been charging for a month. I want to use it as my daily driver, but now I'm pissed a'f because I think the battery will only last like 2 hours. What do you guys think?

Black_Dog165

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried using the phone? Does the battery give out after only a short while? I'm pretty sure these phones know when the battery is full so they quit charging and drain a little bit before charging it back up. I think the phone should be fine unless the battery was getting really hot which it shouldn't have been. I may not be correct in this but just try using the phone and if the battery is shot see if it's still under warranty and if it is send it in. If not, see if you can find a reputable business to replace it and repair it. Hope this helps.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a really hard time trying to decipher what he's trying to say. Is it just me cause I'm really confused lol.

Remove the first sentence and add "Prius" and you got yourself a car problem. Are you sure you're posting in the correct forums? Just wondering.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you want us to wow at the fact you've an S7 as a home phone or what? Just plug it out and try it! It doesn't matter what we think, just what actually happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While it isn't the best idea to leave a battery at full for a month -- it should be okay I would think since the phone should stop charging it once full. Just take it out and test it. Best way to find out.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry you didn't have the foresight to ever unplug your phone during the last month because you thought it'd be "cool" to use it as a home phone??...

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
1. Unplug phone from the charger

2. try your phone for a couple of days to see if your "2hrs of battery life" theory is right

3. then come back here for some advice or search the forums for some other options if and when you actually have a problem

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So I bought a S7 edge to use as my home phone. But it has never been in plugged, it's been charging for a month. I want to use it as my daily driver, but now I'm pissed a'f because I think the battery will only last like 2 hours. What do you guys think?

If it's never been unplugged, why do you think the battery will only last two hours? Doesn't sound like you have any data to support that. Unplug the darn thing and see what happens.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
If it's never been unplugged, why do you think the battery will only last two hours? Doesn't sound like you have any data to support that. Unplug the darn thing and see what happens.

Plot Twist: So I did unplug it, played a video on max brightness and volume, right beside my iPhone 6s. It drained faster than my iPhone which was also max for both. :/

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S7 is brighter by 20 nits on than the iPhone, so it will run down a bit faster on max brightness, but not necessarily faster than the iPhone. How much faster is the question. Especially when there's video evidences of the S7 across the board lasting longer than the iPhone 6S Plus on videos.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The S7 is brighter by 20 nits on than the iPhone, so it will run down a bit faster on max brightness, but not necessarily faster than the iPhone. How much faster is the question. Especially when there's video evidences of the S7 across the board lasting longer than the iPhone 6S Plus on videos.
In 5 minutes it lost 4% where as my iPhone lost 1%

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well it's going to be difficult as you left it charging for a month.

1. Typically Androids get better battery efficiency over a few weeks of charge and discharge cycles algorithms learn your usage and turn of things that aren't needed. I wouldn't know if there are problems with leaving the phone plugged in a month that will affect this.

2. While in general it is ok to leave a phone plugged in since there is a battery protection circuit that cuts off charge, the question now is, where does the electrical flow go? Is there heat generated? Even if it's not overly hot, a battery constantly exposed to heat will occur degradation of held charge faster. Playing games while plugged in may also do this. It's the heat damaging the battery, not the charging. You left it plugged a month, so potentially it may have exposed to elevated temperatures constantly for a month.

3. Then we can't tell if there is a charging port or battery defect since its been plugged in for a month.

I say just use it for a week or so, take note of battery drop rates and post a battery usage graph.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well it's going to be difficult as you left it charging for a month.

1. Typically Androids get better battery efficiency over a few weeks of charge and discharge cycles algorithms learn your usage and turn of things that aren't needed. I wouldn't know if there are problems with leaving the phone plugged in a month that will affect this.

2. While in general it is ok to leave a phone plugged in since there is a battery protection circuit that cuts off charge, the question now is, where does the electrical flow go? Is there heat generated? Even if it's not overly hot, a battery constantly exposed to heat will occur degradation of held charge faster. Playing games while plugged in may also do this. It's the heat damaging the battery, not the charging. You left it plugged a month, so potentially it may have exposed to elevated temperatures constantly for a month.

3. Then we can't tell if there is a charging port or battery defect since its been plugged in for a month.

I say just use it for a week or so, take note of battery drop rates and post a battery usage graph.
Will do!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In 5 minutes it lost 4% where as my iPhone lost 1%

There are SO many factors from signal strength, to radios, to the face the iPhone 6s is a smaller screen than the S7 Edge, to they use different screen technology, etc. etc. -- You can't grab a phone with entirely different specs and then be shocked they act different. iOS allows that stream -- with very few processes running in the background whereas Android is known to allow a ton more background processes which could be occurring on your phone.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Plot Twist: So I did unplug it, played a video on max brightness and volume, right beside my iPhone 6s. It drained faster than my iPhone which was also max for both. :/

IPhones charge to about 108% at full charge and the S7 to about 102% at full charge. Use over the course of several days to figure it out. FYI- I got the 108% stat from the Apple genius bar when having my old iPhone checked for battery issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante