Autocorrect is out of its mind?

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Not to bring up an old subject (although really, why not?) but today autocorrect changed the word SUPER (and yes I do tend to type SUPER in capital letters on a fairly regular basis when i want to really exclaim something haha) to SUPERANTISPYWARE... I can absolutely assure anyone who thinks it's user error that I've never typed the word SUPERANTISPYWARE let alone typed it in lower case haha. It also changed the word "road" as in "There's a wash on the side of the road" to "time"

I repeat. Autocorrect is out of it's mind.
This made me totally LOL. And at the most inopportune time.

winja

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Whenever you have an auto correct issue it's because the USER at one point, SAVED it to be like that.

Long press the auto correct word in the middle of the screen, and delete it out of your dictionary.

Problem solved.

For example, I like texting my you as 'U'. You can save certain words to be autocorrected a certain way. The phone learns how you type as long as you know how to manage your personal dictionary.

you are absolutely wrong! i have NEVER saved "sure" in the place of "dude". if i try and type "dude just dropped his drink" it will change "dude" to "sure" the best part is if i spell a word correctly it will change it to a word thats still spelled right, but isnt what i typed and can change the ENTIRE meaning of my text. the best part is when i try to correct the autocorret and it wont let me!! i have retyped a word 9 and 10 times trying to get the phone to stop being wrong, and ive tried to save the word i was typing and theres no luck!

FineWine92

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
Exact same issue.

And no, its not my error.

On top of all of that.. I also get when I press delete to delete letters backwards to the "corrected" word to retype it.. as it deletes letters auto correct goes bonkers and starts correcting EVERYTHING sometimes.. every word I am deleting backwards into jumps and grows as autocorrect keeps adding to the word I am trying to delete back into.. making it so I am deleting endlessly -.- so annoying. Im sick of it.. trying a new ketyboard.. have to find a solution before I break this phone.

Jenji13

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Exact same issue.

And no, its not my error.

On top of all of that.. I also get when I press delete to delete letters backwards to the "corrected" word to retype it.. as it deletes letters auto correct goes bonkers and starts correcting EVERYTHING sometimes.. every word I am deleting backwards into jumps and grows as autocorrect keeps adding to the word I am trying to delete back into.. making it so I am deleting endlessly -.- so annoying. Im sick of it.. trying a new ketyboard.. have to find a solution before I break this phone.

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I've had iPhones for the last several years, Blackberry & Palm phones before that. I decided to try a Pixel several months ago. I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am (I guess I don't have to; we're all here for the same reason). Just swap out the keyboard? That's the solution? Clearly, this had been going on for a while; I would think there would be some attempt to create a fix in an update or something. I don't think I'll ever go Android again.

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I think a lot if us don't realize how the keyboard works..it's intuitive to a fault. I keep hitting the wrong keys & it remembers those mistakes, but if you delete the wrong word, it will stop unless you do it again. "if" Instead of "of" drives me insane, but my fault every time.

Jane_Do

Sep 30, 2017
Visit site
Omg I'm not alone! I have been dealing with this issue for the longest time now. I have a Samsung galaxy s7 edge with SwiftKey keyboard and I have tried using all kinds of other keyboards, including the one that comes with the phone, and ALL of them fail to autocorrect properly. Like others have mentioned, it will be RIDICULOUS words in place of what you're trying to write. Like every time I try to write "I'm" it'll replace it with "in". Every. F***ing. Time. Or just about anything I attempt to write gets autocorrected with something far off from what I was trying to say. Many of the examples people on this thread gave of how the autocorrect screws up predictions happen to me too. It's been about two years now where the autocorrect went from stellar to haywire and I have no idea how or why this happened. Now my texting consists of me constantly having to go back and fix words that I didn't want inserted in my messages.

Like to just make when I tried to write "to write" it corrected me and inserted "go work" even though I spelled write. I'm so tired of dealing with this and finding no solution to my problem.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I used GBoard but I know several other keyboards do this as well.

I went into keyboard settings and turned off autocorrection, but left all of the predictive stuff on. That way, if I type a word and misspell it, a list of similar words that I might have meant are along the top for me to choose from. But what I typed stays once I punctuate the word. Misspellings and all.

I figure it's probably better to send a misspelled word than a word that is entirely different from the one I intended. The former is an obvious mistake, easily explained to the recipient. The latter is just not a game I want to play.

Iceman1475

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
Yes, the S7 is the worst autocorrect i have ever had!!! It's vocabulary is quite limited, and the things it substitutes are bizarre to obscene! If you try to spell out a word that it doesn't know, it changes it. Boo, Samsung! Thanks for this conversation, I just hour they will fix it! Overall I like the phone, but the spelling thing is infuriating! It changes 3rd to yellow on photos too - really a sunrise spoiler! Wish I had stayed with my S3!

peacenote

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm really glad I found this thread because I thought it was just me. My S7 autocorrect is horrible. The worst to be is that itchanges real words to other real words all the time. I backspace and fix and it corrects it the same way again.

Anyone have a way to make it better yet?

Interestingly I found text to speech to be much more accurate, but that is not always practical.

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
What are you 15yo?
But he's right. When you type an error, It's remembered, even tho you correct it every time. If you pay attention to the suggestion bar below, what you choose there becomes your personal dictionary. My most common error is 'of'.. corrects to 'if'..drove me nuts until I corrected it in the suggestion bar. Swype is somewhat better at getting it right.

kastellorizo

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello to Android Central and everyone here,

I am writing to you regarding the name of the island of Kastellorizo, where I live and I come from. I have also been authorized to speak on behalf of the island's municipality (Municipality of Megisti).

We have been using Android devices for years. However, I need to point out a serious mistake being done by the Android spelling checker:

It writes the Greek name of our island, Kastellorizo, wrongly. More specifically:

The correct island's name (as shown in all books and documents) is Καστελλόριζο.
For some reason, the Android spelling checker changes the correct name "Καστελλόριζο",
and provides the wrong name "Καστελόριζο"! (which has only one lambda "λ").

The same had been true for the English version, but I am (still) not sure if it has been corrected in all Android devices. The English spelling should be using "Kastellorizo" (with two "l"), instead of the wrong spelling with only one "l", i.e. "Kastelorizo".

After some big efforts, we have changed the name in Wikipedia, Google Maps and many other major websites, and they now correctly spell it with two "l"s, as Kastellorizo and Καστελλόριζο.

The wrong spelling that the Android spelling checker is currently providing (Greek and maybe the English) has caused all sorts of problems (for a very long time now) to the inhabitants of the island of Kastellorizo. Please correct them, because the name is being wrongly spread around the huge number of Android devices, causing even more future problems.

I repeat:

Correct spelling: Kastellorizo (English), Καστελλόριζο (Greek).
Wrong spelling: Kastelorizo (English), Καστελόριζο (Greek).

It will be hugely appreciated if you could help us on this sensitive yet important matter.

We are trying for years to correct this, and we are not even sure where or who we should talk to. In the meantime, the name is being unfairly spread wrongly, causing us a lot of trouble, and confusing locals and travelers.

Thank you and all the best,

Pantazis Houlis

PS. Apologies if I posted this at the wrong place. Feel free to help me move it anywhere it belongs better.

Sean Gately

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I've had iPhones for the last several years, Blackberry & Palm phones before that. I decided to try a Pixel several months ago. I cannot begin to describe how frustrated I am (I guess I don't have to; we're all here for the same reason). Just swap out the keyboard? That's the solution? Clearly, this had been going on for a while; I would think there would be some attempt to create a fix in an update or something. I don't think I'll ever go Android again.

I'm in the same boat. I was on iPhone for ten years and switched to an S9 plus. There is no way it is saving any historical information from me because I was on a different platform. It will take correctly spelled words like thought, and auto-suggest "Thight", not even a word, or please and suggest "Plase", totally randon and wrong. Thanks to this forum I switched to stock Google, and added Swiftkey just to be sure, problem over. If I were Samsung I would hire a new translation team.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello to Android Central and everyone here,

I am writing to you regarding the name of the island of Kastellorizo, where I live and I come from. I have also been authorized to speak on behalf of the island's municipality (Municipality of Megisti).

We have been using Android devices for years. However, I need to point out a serious mistake being done by the Android spelling checker:

It writes the Greek name of our island, Kastellorizo, wrongly. More specifically:

The correct island's name (as shown in all books and documents) is Καστελλόριζο.
For some reason, the Android spelling checker changes the correct name "Καστελλόριζο",
and provides the wrong name "Καστελόριζο"! (which has only one lambda "λ").

The same had been true for the English version, but I am (still) not sure if it has been corrected in all Android devices. The English spelling should be using "Kastellorizo" (with two "l"), instead of the wrong spelling with only one "l", i.e. "Kastelorizo".

After some big efforts, we have changed the name in Wikipedia, Google Maps and many other major websites, and they now correctly spell it with two "l"s, as Kastellorizo and Καστελλόριζο.

The wrong spelling that the Android spelling checker is currently providing (Greek and maybe the English) has caused all sorts of problems (for a very long time now) to the inhabitants of the island of Kastellorizo. Please correct them, because the name is being wrongly spread around the huge number of Android devices, causing even more future problems.

I repeat:

Correct spelling: Kastellorizo (English), Καστελλόριζο (Greek).
Wrong spelling: Kastelorizo (English), Καστελόριζο (Greek).

It will be hugely appreciated if you could help us on this sensitive yet important matter.

We are trying for years to correct this, and we are not even sure where or who we should talk to. In the meantime, the name is being unfairly spread wrongly, causing us a lot of trouble, and confusing locals and travelers.

Thank you and all the best,

Pantazis Houlis

PS. Apologies if I posted this at the wrong place. Feel free to help me move it anywhere it belongs better.

This is just a community fan forum, so no one here would be able to help with an issue like this. There are multiple dictionaries used by various apps, so this may be a bit of a process for your names to be updated. For example, there's the dictionary built in to Android itself, but my Swype keyboard also has one. Neither one of them have anything remotely close to your island's name in them, much less a misspelled version.

I would suggest trying to contact Google to see if they can push out an update to those devices affected by the misspelling. Even if successful, it is likely this would only address one aspect of the problem. This could become a tedious process as you try to track down the affected dictionaries in use. For your own uses, you may be able to add it as a custom word in your devices.

MochaTater

May 12, 2018
Visit site
I'm loving my new Galaxy s7 Edge so far, but my main complaint is the autocorrect on the default keyboard... Is it just me or is it completely out of its mind with some of its automatic corrections?

I wish I could remember some specific examples from over the past week, but especially when typing someone's name, I could type a 5 letter word, and it automatically changes it to some 9 letter word that just happens to start with the same letter. Some of the words it autocorrects me to don't even seem to be actual words. And this is fresh out of the box, so it's not like it's learned a bunch of misspelled words from me.

Anyone else having this issue?

If it happens today (it probably will) i'll post some good (and funny but annoying) examples.

Yeah I have the same (just corrected same to dame... Wtf) issue with my Amazon Fire. I believe it has Android system **** (i cant remember what you call it). Its a lot more annoying than your issue though because it literally incorrects correct spelling... Its extremely irritating ive nearly thrown it out of the window a few times. Like it would correct the word hello to hdllo... I dont ******* understand why. To add insult to injury i turned auto correct off weeks ago and this is a relatively new tablet i got it about 2-3 weeks ago so its not like its learned these words from me. About to ***** to Android or Amazon whoever tf is responsible for the keyboard programming.

Fred0721

May 30, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I am so frustrated with this Galaxy S7. Even when I'm typing everything right it changes words and names automatically. I don't like the iPhone because the baggage that you have to deal with Apple stores but my girlfriend has one and when she types misspelled words, it corrects to a word that makes sense not bogus words like this Galaxy. like I have a son who do I call AJ and I type it AJ and it auto corrects to DJ. I guess I didn't get a smartphone I got a stupid phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital