I receive text messages from an application at work. The number from the application is a 5-digit "Source ID". I put that 5-digit number in a contact called "WORK APP TEXT", and the text shows as being from that contact.

The problem. The system now sends from two different Source ID's. I added the 2nd number to the WORK APP TEXT contact, but I still get 2 different conversations in my messaging app. I tried to create 2 contacts (one with each of the numbers) and merge them. They both show in the text app with the merged contact name, but still 2 separate conversations.

The time the texts are received are critical as one will be the INITIAL and the second will be the RESOLVED and I really need to see them in one thread.

I'm frustrated I haven't been able to solve this. Please help!! Thanks.
    05-21-2016 07:29 PM
    The work app that sends the texts will have to be modified so that it sends both texts under the same ID. As far as the phone is concerned, two texts from different IDs are from different IDs - it can't arbitrarily decide that A and B are separate but C and D are the same.
    05-21-2016 10:02 PM
    Try starting a group text with both numbers.
    05-22-2016 07:36 AM
    Sorry, but you are making this to complicated. Simply don't merge the contacts.

I have the same setup, i receive support SMS for technical problems and a 2nd number ad well. I have two separate contact created, because they really aren't the same.

Since my contacts are separated, i never have this issue you are describing.
    05-22-2016 08:26 AM
    Sorry, but you are making this to complicated. Simply don't merge the contacts.

I have the same setup, i receive support SMS for technical problems and a 2nd number ad well. I have two separate contact created, because they really aren't the same.

Since my contacts are separated, i never have this issue you are describing.
    I think you're missing the OP's point, because it seems with your setup you would have exactly the issue he's asking about (it's just not an issue for you). He's looking to merge conversations from two different source IDs in to one conversation.

Afriad I can't think of a solution for you GaryJohnSr, but dasupaman may be on to something with group messages. It seems your problem is like someone wanting to merge texts from a friend who sent them from a work phone and a personal phone. I'm not aware of a way to do that. Play around with group messaging.
    GaryJohnSr likes this.
    05-22-2016 02:51 PM
    I think the issue a group message is going to present is that you have to initiate it. I assume the work app pushes you a text when something happens (as opposed to you 'checking in" and pulling the message). In that case, the work app is starting a new, non-group, conversation. Subsequent messages will show up in one conversation for the app, but I can't think of a way to get those in to the group conversation.

Obviously, that's how it's supposed to work, and it has saved plenty of people plenty of embarrassment, I'm sure!

I'd still play around with group conversations and see if you can figure something out. Good luck.
    05-23-2016 06:19 AM
    I gave group messaging a try - and as you predicted, it did not work for my needs. I'm looking in the PlayStore at various contact and messaging merge utils.
    05-23-2016 04:46 PM