Misaligned front Camera for Galaxy S7 Edge?

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Photo on 5-21-16 at 2.13 PM.jpgPhoto on 5-21-16 at 2.14 PM.jpg

Hi Guys,
I have the Galaxy S7 Edge which is a month old but unfortunately I do not have warranty.
Lately I realized that the front camera of the device is slightly misaligned although it works perfectly and doesn't affect picture quality.

The lens is not exactly in the center and there is black gap on the left side of the device which makes it looks off set.

Though for such a premium phone, it seems to be absurd.
Have I received a defective device or is this normal?

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you look closely at the picture you can see a black gap on the right side of the picture in the circle of the camera.
That means it is not perfectly in the center and hence it is misaligned

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I guess as long as the camera works fine that is the most important thing imho

I have a black s7e so my front camera lens doesn't show so prominently but I understand your situation and it would probably bug me also if I had the gold s7e and I could see the front camera not centered in the hole every time I looked at my phone

*edit: looking at mine more closely the lens is not perfectly centered also but the front camera works fine

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess as long as the camera works fine that is the most important thing imho

I have a black s7e so I can't hardly see my front camera lens but I understand your situation and it would probably bug me also if I had the gold s7e and I could see the camera not centered in the hole every time I looked at my phone

Hi thanks for the reply.
Yes exactly! Once you notice it, it drives you crazy.
Especially since mine is gold.

Surprisingly i didn't notice it for the first month.

I do have an option of visiting the service center(phone not in warranty) who I assume will charge me a fee but will open up the device and re center the camera although the risk in that would be the waterproofing, they would be breaking all the factory seals and if they happen to damage anything inside by mistake also, the phone not being in warranty would cause a lot of trouble!

Or I could send it back to the country I got it from where the warranty is applicable but again that is taking too much trouble for this.

So I don't know if it is worth the pain?

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
could you please share a picture if possible?

here you are:

xezNyox.jpg

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the picture.

I think in your scenario having a black device you really can't make out the difference if there is a misalignment or not.

Here is a picture of my device without the screen protector, does this look okay to you?

Since I have no warranty in my home country, i have an option of going to a service center who will open my device and try re centering the camera although I might lose the water restitance as they would break the factory seals and if they happen to damage anything by mistake also, it would be a huge problem since I wouldn't have warranty.

Hence I don't know if its a good idea or not?

IMG-20160523-WA0000.jpg

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I think yours looks better centered then mine :eek:

As long as the camera is working fine: imho it's not worth the cost, getting those factory seals cracked open, and the trouble that may lead to somewhere down the road if some situation comes up with the phone that you need to rely on that IP68 rating for protection

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply

Hahaha and I think yours looks better because you can't make out due to the color :p
Yes i guess you're right, going through so much trouble might not be worth it.

All i wanted to know was if other devices were like this too or if they were centered perfectly!
I guess this must be done by hand that explains the misalignment

tengtengvn

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine isn't perfectly aligned. My old Note 5 was like that too. It doesn't affect the pictures since the black part of the glass doesn't cover the lens.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine looks perfectly aligned to me. I do have a black device, but I can see a darker rim around the camera lens and it seems uniformly thick around the entire lens.

Truman82

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Last perfectly aligned was on iPhone. In my g7e the front camera isn't aligned perfectly but it is not worth sending it to repairs if you ask me. The photos are great anyway.

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My titanium S7 front camera isn't perfectly aligned. Around a mm to the right but it is probably within Samsungs manufacturing tolerance.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Last perfectly aligned was on iPhone. In my g7e the front camera isn't aligned perfectly but it is not worth sending it to repairs if you ask me. The photos are great anyway.

I guess you're right....Wouldnt want to lose the water resistance.
It's weird cause one would expect some kind of quality. I am only afraid that the misalignment shouldn't cause problem for the IP68 water resistance.

Mine isn't perfectly aligned. My old Note 5 was like that too. It doesn't affect the pictures since the black part of the glass doesn't cover the lens.

Mine looks perfectly aligned to me. I do have a black device, but I can see a darker rim around the camera lens and it seems uniformly thick around the entire lens.

Having a black device means your eyes can be easily fooled and nonetheless even if it is misaligned it won't make any difference as you can hardly notice it.

My titanium S7 front camera isn't perfectly aligned. Around a mm to the right but it is probably within Samsungs manufacturing tolerance.

Well I guess this is normal than I suppose, its weird as i have seen a few phones with perfectly centered cameras.
Although how does my phone look(pic above) in comparison to yours?

Truman82

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
My phone has been in repairs once already and they opened the phone because of it. After that the ip68 works just fine.

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess this is normal than I suppose, its weird as i have seen a few phones with perfectly centered cameras.
Although how does my phone look(pic above) in comparison to yours?
Judging by your picture I don't think it is too different to mine. I was playing with S7's at various stores for about a month before I bought one and did notice on a fair few that the front camera was slightly out of center.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Having a black device means your eyes can be easily fooled and nonetheless even if it is misaligned it won't make any difference as you can hardly notice it.

I guess you have a point. Never took much notice of it until I saw this post. Still looks perfectly aligned to me though.

Sorry for the rather dirty screen. LOL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer