I completely discharged my phone 6 times already,what are the consequences?

person1001

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
So my phone had to be fully discharged 6 times this month, I didn't deliberately do that, I was moving, travelling a lot this month and I wasn't able to charge my phone so often, now I heard that using the phone until it shuts off is very dangerous, but I can't understand why, they say that the battery may explode if completely drained, at the same time they say that phones shutdown before that, so why is it dangerous? another question will I notice any drop regarding battery performance? And how bad will it be? And is it dangerous for battery only? are the other components safe? and does it affect my phone performance and software?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So my phone had to be fully discharged 6 times this month, I didn't deliberately do that, I was moving, travelling a lot this month and I wasn't able to charge my phone so often, now I heard that using the phone until it shuts off is very dangerous, but I can't understand why, they say that the battery may explode if completely drained, at the same time they say that phones shutdown before that, so why is it dangerous? another question will I notice any drop regarding battery performance? And how bad will it be? And is it dangerous for battery only? are the other components safe? and does it affect my phone performance and software?

The problem with draining it very shallow is in degradation of the battery capacity. There are very few devices (flagships from trusted major OEM's, offbrand or budget garbage is always offbrand or budget garbage) , if any, that will be damaged by draining too low. The last one I recall that this was an issue for was in 2012, and it was recoverable - just took nearly a day of work to do it. So we're talking about a negative impact on longterm battery life.

person1001

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
The problem with draining it very shallow is in degradation of the battery capacity. There are very few devices (flagships from trusted major OEM's, offbrand or budget garbage is always offbrand or budget garbage) , if any, that will be damaged by draining too low. The last one I recall that this was an issue for was in 2012, and it was recoverable - just took nearly a day of work to do it. So we're talking about a negative impact on longterm battery life.
Thanks u, but how bad? Should I worry? Will it be terrible after few months that I will have to change it ?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If discharging your battery 6 times was causing real problematic long term issues then none of us should be buying any of these devices. Would be a complete shambles.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just use your phone the way you usually do. I have never ruined a battery from letting it discharge so much that it shut off. I try to never do that but it happens on a few phone that I don't have sims in but that I keep charged up occasionally anyways.

Some people on this forum say to never let the battery get below 40% but I have never followed that either. I usually charge my phone when It gets between 5-10%.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is pretty good at building smartphones. The system will manage the battery very well without the user worrying about it. It will switch off before there is a full discharge.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

person1001

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank u folks, I will try to avoid doing that again as advised, and yes samsung is a very clever corporation, they must have put that in mind, I am less worried now thanks guys :)

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Remember that just because your phone reports 0% battery and switches off, it doesn't mean the battery is completely depleted. There are safe limits built in. There's no way that users can avoid running out of battery occasionally and the phone shutting down - manufacturers design accordingly.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Remember that just because your phone reports 0% battery and switches off, it doesn't mean the battery is completely depleted. There are safe limits built in. There's no way that users can avoid running out of battery occasionally and the phone shutting down - manufacturers design accordingly.

This is why I said, 'There are very few devices (flagships from trusted major OEM's, offbrand or budget garbage is always offbrand or budget garbage) , if any, that will be damaged by draining too low". The risk is no longer damage to the device, it's that deep discharges are bad for the health of the battery, long term. The goal is to keep the device between 40% and 80% as much as possible, with variances focused on being above 80% rather than below 40%. It is very difficult for users to keep the device between 40% and 80%, so it is instead recommend to frequently top it off rather than let it fully discharge, especially below 20%. It's much better for the device to be at 90% or even on the charger for several extra hours than to drop below 20%.

The "switches off" part is actually potentially detrimental to devices because sudden loss of power can cause corruption in read/write processes and cause apps to break or misbehave and syncing of critical services to fail. Letting it "die" should be avoided as much as is reasonably possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie