09-17-2017 04:36 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi, I have a Galaxy S7 edge and I love it but the fingerprint scanner will only work part of the time. Sometimes I'll wake the phone up, put my finger on the scanner and it will unlock, but a lot of times I'll put my finger on the scanner and it takes me to my pin and says something like "A pin is required for additional security" it's extremely annoying and I have no idea how to fix it. Is an app causing it? I recently switched from an iPhone so I'm not super familiar with Android. Thanks for any help!

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-22-2016 11:46 PM
    Hi

Sorry you're experiencing this! There are many factors that could be causing this issue, to include, any moisture or other chemicals/lotions on your finger tips. Be sure your fingers are clear of any moisture or lotions.

If its software/hardware related, you can try the following:

Note: Each step is singular, if it works, don't do the next step.

1. Enter recovery and do a Cache Wipe, no data will be loss.
    2. Disable and clear all finger prints. Reboot, re-enable, reassign finger prints.
    3. Full Factor Reset ALL DATA LOSS, PHONE AS NEW. But.....Sometimes this has to be done.
    4. If still occurs, contact samsung service center.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    05-28-2016 08:10 AM
    A pin (or password or pattern) is required if you use a third party app to lock the screen on the latest update,at least for verizon.

Using the power button or screen time out didn't require entering the pin
    05-28-2016 09:09 AM
    Thanks Chris, I will be sure to try those methods. dpham00, what would be an example of a third party app locking the screen? I use light manager which gives me led notifications when the screen is locked, could that be it? I'm sorry, I'm new to android.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    05-28-2016 08:32 PM
    Thanks Chris, I will be sure to try those methods. dpham00, what would be an example of a third party app locking the screen? I use light manager which gives me led notifications when the screen is locked, could that be it? I'm sorry, I'm new to android.
    Something like Easy Home app, or Screen Lock.

The Easy Home app emulates the floating translucent button on the iPhone, where you can use the phone without using the physical home button. It also has a lockscreen funtion as one of the options when you open it. If you lock it using that, password is asked.

Screen Lock app is similar, but it gives you animations when the screen is turning on or off.

If you don't mind not using the fingerprint in exchange for those, it's ok.
    05-28-2016 08:35 PM
    What I did to fix that issue was I registered the same finger more than once and I get 99% accuracy.
    05-29-2016 12:33 AM
    do what joe1blue did. register your finger more than once. (atleast 3 times). each of the 3 times use a different angle. first time put it side ways only. second time place it straight and then third time the other side. this will work.

you are not alone in this issue. the fingerprint scanner isn't as accurate as the iphone or nexus 6p but it still works...
    joe1blue likes this.
    05-30-2016 12:37 AM
    A pin (or watchword or example) is required in the event that you utilize an outsider application to bolt the screen on the most recent update,at slightest for verizon.

Utilizing the force catch or screen time out didn't require entering the pin
    05-30-2016 01:56 AM
    The finger print sensor is very accurate. But when you register your finger, you need to place your finger on the sensor at multiple angles so that the phone will recognize it instantly when you go to unlock it.
    joe1blue likes this.
    05-30-2016 08:16 AM
    I figured it out, it was my glimpse notification app. Thanks for the help everyone!
    ClintRo likes this.
    05-31-2016 03:12 AM
    what is this glimpse notification app?
    05-31-2016 04:38 AM
    I had this before when I was using Nova too. If you used double tap to lock it wouldn't unlock with fingerprint afterwards.
    Guitar_Dude likes this.
    05-31-2016 06:00 AM
    what is this glimpse notification app?
    It's an app that lights the lock screen up when you get a notification, similar to an iPhone which is what I was used to. But I'd rather have my fingerprint scanner work lol
    05-31-2016 04:16 PM
    I find the fingerprint sensor on the S7E much more finicky than the one on my iPhone 6S Plus or my work iPhone 6. Those things almost always register my fingerprint the first time to unlock. The S7E frequently needs me to wipe the button and try again. Sometimes no matter what I do, it refuses to accept it. (And yes, I registered only two fingers multiple times to make it more forgiving.)

Maybe that's a good thing...not sure...but it is aggravating.
    05-31-2016 04:40 PM
    It's an app that lights the lock screen up when you get a notification, similar to an iPhone which is what I was used to. But I'd rather have my fingerprint scanner work lol
    Try the Edge Lighting app, which lights the edges up according to the color you have assigned the app that is doing the alert (i.e. blue for e-mail, green for text message). It works fine with the fingerprint unlock. And is fun. It can be set to work when the phone is face-up as well as face-down.
    06-01-2016 04:07 AM
    Glad the OP got it fixed. the Fingerprint scanner on this thing works great for me... unless I forget and use the wrong finger...LOL
    06-01-2016 08:05 AM
    Glad the OP got it fixed. the Fingerprint scanner on this thing works great for me... unless I forget and use the wrong finger...LOL
    I saved both my thumb and my index finger (right hand) so I can use either one.
    06-02-2016 02:51 AM
    I saved both my thumb and my index finger (right hand) so I can use either one.
    I have the thumb and index finger on both hands so when I use it one handed both ways. I've never had a problem with it recognising any of them.
    06-02-2016 06:27 AM
    I did right thumb twice, left thumb and right index once each.... I use the right thumb the most.
    06-02-2016 07:29 AM
    I figured it out, it was my glimpse notification app. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Glad that you figured it out. I was pretty sure it was a third party app problem
    06-02-2016 09:00 AM
    Also I posted some tips for setting up the fingerprint scanner. It is for the s6 but should apply here too
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...t-scanner.html
    Alanhd likes this.
    06-02-2016 09:02 AM
    I have the thumb and index finger on both hands so when I use it one handed both ways. I've never had a problem with it recognising any of them.
    Even though I am ambidextrous, I only use my phone with my right hand while the left holds it, so that's why I didn't do my left fingers.
    06-03-2016 03:45 AM
    Even though I am ambidextrous, I only use my phone with my right hand while the left holds it, so that's why I didn't do my left fingers.
    My phone sits on the left side of my desk at work so I need a finger on that hand for the unlock, else I would have gone the same as you.
    06-03-2016 05:10 AM
    My phone sits on the left side of my desk at work so I need a finger on that hand for the unlock, else I would have gone the same as you.
    Ah, gotcha. Good idea!
    06-05-2016 05:24 AM
    Just saw this. As the author of that app I would like to add that this is an issue only if you use any of Glimpse's locking features. The fingerprint sensor works fine if you don't let Glimpse (or any other app) lock the phone, because there is no such method in Android that would keep the Fingerprint sensor (or any other Smartlocks) working. Unfortunately this is intended Android behavior. Read more on that here: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=79735
    06-17-2016 03:42 PM
29 12