Insurance done right

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
First of all let me say that I'm a diehard android fan when it comes to smartphones. As far as laptops go, I need my macbooks. Anyway, because of their work, both my kids have an iPhone. My daughter's iPhone finally died after 4 years of heavy use. When we bought her new one today at the Apple store, we were offered their iPhone applecare. It was $129.00, plus a $99.00 deductable. BUT, the big difference between applecare and verizons insuance, is that if anything happens to her phone, whether it be due to failure or drops or whatever, she gets a BRAND NEW IPHONE, if hers cannot be fixed. So if her screen gets cracked or it sits in a tub of water overnight, she pays her deductible and gets a new, not rephurbished phone. Thats the reason I never get the insurance from Verizon, if the phone I bought new gets damaged beyond repair, I want it replaced with a brand new phone not someone elses rebuilt. And verizon can send you a different color, and even a different brand of the same caliber. So, Verizon, do it right. Follow apples, applecare. It's the right thing to do. By the way, i did buy a macbook that died 2.5 years into the applecare. It was deemed unrepairable. And yes, i got a brand new one.

Posted via Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Apple always gives you a refurbished iPhone no matter if you have AppleCare or not. Some parts are new on it, granted, but it's absolutely not brand new out of the box.

This has been the case since the iPhone 4.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
First of all let me say that I'm a diehard android fan when it comes to smartphones. As far as laptops go, I need my macbooks. Anyway, because of their work, both my kids have an iPhone. My daughter's iPhone finally died after 4 years of heavy use. When we bought her new one today at the Apple store, we were offered their iPhone applecare. It was $129.00, plus a $99.00 deductable. BUT, the big difference between applecare and verizons insuance, is that if anything happens to her phone, whether it be due to failure or drops or whatever, she gets a BRAND NEW IPHONE, if hers cannot be fixed. So if her screen gets cracked or it sits in a tub of water overnight, she pays her deductible and gets a new, not rephurbished phone. Thats the reason I never get the insurance from Verizon, if the phone I bought new gets damaged beyond repair, I want it replaced with a brand new phone not someone elses rebuilt. And verizon can send you a different color, and even a different brand of the same caliber. So, Verizon, do it right. Follow apples, applecare. It's the right thing to do. By the way, i did buy a macbook that died 2.5 years into the applecare. It was deemed unrepairable. And yes, i got a brand new one.

You are misinformed about a lot of things. They keyword here is "UNREPAIRABLE". Cracked screens are repairable. They would absolutely not give you a brand new iPhone for a cracked screen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Neither apple care nor apple warranty guarantee new replacement. It is "new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product."

These are the exact terms of apple care:

"3. What is Covered?

3.1 Hardware Service

If during the Coverage Period, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in materials and workmanship has arisen in the Covered Equipment or, (ii) the capacity of the covered iPhone battery to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications, Apple will either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered Equipment with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product. If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.
"

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appforiphonenaen.html#mn_p

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"if the phone I bought new gets damaged beyond repair, I want it replaced with a brand new phone not someone elses rebuilt"

You want a used phone replaced with a new one? That's a bit unreasonable. Verizon (and other carriers) will replace a phone during the first 2 weeks or so with a new one, but after that, it;s always a refurb. (And that's up to the insurance company, not the carrier. I don't know Apple, but they're probably also using an outside insurance company.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Did an apple employee tell you that replacements under warranty or apple care would be NEW? Or did you read it somewhere in store or somewhere?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What's with people thinking that if you break your phone that you're entitled to a brand new one instead of a refurb??...

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, we were told flat out by Apple. It would be a new phone IF the broken one is not repairable. My son who owns an iPhone 5,just received a brand new one under applecare because of what was deemed battery swelling. They couldn't even get into the phone. The replacement was brand new.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nah. They just tell you it's brand new. You'd never even know anyway. They can always resend the broken phone back to factory and repair it and reseal the package.

Please, don't be too gullible or next they'll be selling you cheap chinese screen protectors worth $3 for like $20. Oh wait, I think they already are.

It's as simple as looking at it from a business perspective. If I replace all the broken iPhones with a new one, then that means for the price of one, I'll be giving away 2. And that added up on all broken iPhones I would replace is a huge loss. If I repair the broken iPhone and sell it as new, then I'm won't be losing too much. You think there are no such things as refurb iPhones? Ignorance is bliss.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Incorrect, we were told flat out by Apple. It would be a new phone IF the broken one is not repairable. My son who owns an iPhone 5,just received a brand new one under applecare because of what was deemed battery swelling. They couldn't even get into the phone. The replacement was brand new.

Apple employees may have told you it was brand new. They are actually trained to do this with customers. I have verified this with several Apple employees.

The truth is, Apple does this kind of stuff often because most of their customer base is ignorant of technology to an extent.

Now, since most people are blasting you in this thread, I will tell you that the refurbished units Apple gives out as replacements are some of the best in the business. Why? Because Apple has strict rules governing the quality of their refurbs. For instance, all refurbished iPhones cone with brand new digitizer glass (not the LCD screen but the glass in front), new headphone jack, new battery and new outside housing. Basically everything the customer can touch, as well as wear and tear items like the battery. Typically the LCD screen and motherboard are used almost 100% of the time. They come from broken iPhones.

So you are getting a very nice refurb.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Told by "Apple"? As in, Apple's corporate representative, or perhaps Tim Cook himself told you? Or the $15 an hour flunky at the Apple Store told you? If you think Apple Store employees know what they're talking about any more than the guys at your local Verizon store you're fooling yourself. The ONLY thing that has any meaning is what's in writing in the Apple Care policy. I personally don't know what it says, but IT is the binding contract, not some verbal promise by an Apple employee. Any Apple employee.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Again, the Apple care terms explicitly say otherwise. It is "new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product." (exact quote from Apple care terms).

If apple rep tells you otherwise, ask them to either show you the terms or put it in writing.

Honestly I have been given mis information so many times by sales people (including apple reps). So it doesn't surprise me.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you all from personal experience that Apple Care is the best in the business. I do believe the replacement device is an Apple Certified device, not brand new, but as another poster stated the replacements are excellent. I have had multiple devices replaced by Apple over the years. They make it very easy and are very liberal with their policies if you have Apple Care. I did have to wait a couple days once for a replacement router to be shipped to the store for me since they had none available. That's the worst that ever happened.

For those of you that just like to be Apple bashers I suggest you stop bashing for the sake of bashing unless you have personal experience with Apple Care.

And for the record I am not an Apple groupie. I am typing this on my S7 edge which I prefer over the iPhone. I do however, have multiple Apple products and my other family members have iPhones.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you all from personal experience that Apple Care is the best in the business. I do believe the replacement device is an Apple Certified device, not brand new, but as another poster stated the replacements are excellent. I have had multiple devices replaced by Apple over the years. They make it very easy and are very liberal with their policies if you have Apple Care. I did have to wait a couple days once for a replacement router to be shipped to the store for me since they had none available. That's the worst that ever happened.

For those of you that just like to be Apple bashers I suggest you stop bashing for the sake of bashing unless you have personal experience with Apple Care.

And for the record I am not an Apple groupie. I am typing this on my S7 edge which I prefer over the iPhone. I do however, have multiple Apple products and my other family members have iPhones.

Posted via the Android Central App
No one is questioning the quality of apple refurbished, which I believe is best in the business. But refurbished warranty /apple care replacements is not new, like the op insists. To advertise refurbished as new is false advertising, which the op indicated that Apple rep was doing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What box are they pulling these "new" devices from?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Still a heck of a deal better than Verizon / asurion charging $149 deductible for a phone with a $108 full retail price.

I keep seeing this $149 number mentioned (I've seen it in other threads as well) but we just did a replacement on my wife's S7 and our deductible was only $99... We have Verizon and did the swap through Asurion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes