How strong is the GS 7 edge casing, glass?

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I admit that I like nice phone cases and covers. Those that protect, but are minimal/not bulky at best ... don't take away from the look of the phone... and that fit in a holster of some kind. (not in pockets)

I left the ATT store with a nice Bodyguardz cover. Protection all around, including edges, lightweight, fits in my leather holster/case. I've purchased a couple of other covers that are very minimal, and let the "prettyness" of the phone show. They both protect the rounded corners, but expose the sides/edges pretty much. How vulnerable are these edges and the glass if the phone suffers a fall? (a normal drop)

Any experience to share?

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That depends on the particular glass. If the curve isn't completely annealed, a slight drop could shatter it. If it is, a drop to concrete won't damage it. (You have no choice - you get the glass that comes with the phone.)

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
That depends on the particular glass. If the curve isn't completely annealed, a slight drop could shatter it. If it is, a drop to concrete won't damage it. (You have no choice - you get the glass that comes with the phone.)

Thanks Rukbat. The GS 7 edge supposedly has Gorilla Glass, but what I understand from you is that the curved edge on the sides is susceptible, therefore I'm better off with a cover that protects all around. Did I understand well?

Cordt Hanson

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the flimsy little s view flip cover and I drop it all the time. These are actually some of the best cases you can get. The case itself will break or come flying off thus saving the phone from damage.
Actually once dropped it without any cover (just a wet-applied gel screen protector) and the edge landed directly on a concrete parking barrier and all it did was scuff the protector..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pastohss, yes. You may get a piece of glass as tough as steel, or you may get one with a tiny flaw - that develops into shattering as soon as the stress is removed (like from dropping it 2" to a desk). An Otterbox (I'm partial to the case and the company) should protect almost any S7 Edge from shattering. (It's possible for a crack to be so bad [even if so small] that it shatters from just sitting there [temperature expansion or contraction, usually], but that's very rare - I've only heard of 2 cases.)

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Pastohss, yes. You may get a piece of glass as tough as steel, or you may get one with a tiny flaw - that develops into shattering as soon as the stress is removed (like from dropping it 2" to a desk). An Otterbox (I'm partial to the case and the company) should protect almost any S7 Edge from shattering. (It's possible for a crack to be so bad [even if so small] that it shatters from just sitting there [temperature expansion or contraction, usually], but that's very rare - I've only heard of 2 cases.)

Thanks for taking the time to be thorough. God bless you.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat. The GS 7 edge supposedly has Gorilla Glass, but what I understand from you is that the curved edge on the sides is susceptible, therefore I'm better off with a cover that protects all around. Did I understand well?
The Gorilla glass is only scratch resistant. I don't think it will help much in shattering, especially since it's thinner than Gorilla Glass 3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084