I have a brand new Galaxy S7 Edge on Verizon with the AOD set to off. However, the screen doesn't temporarily turn on for notifications (e.g. Gmail, Facebook, etc). It only turns on for phone calls and calendar events (and Message+ if I set it to do so).

My previous device, Nexus 5X running Marshmallow, turned on the screen temporarily for all notifications. Not sure why the Samsung flagship phone wouldn't do this (Apple phones also do this).

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!
    05-28-2016 06:57 PM
    Check your notification settings to make sure the ones you want on are switched on
    05-28-2016 07:23 PM
    It's not an issue. That's how Samsung handles the notifications since like the first Galaxy S. Screen does not turn on for notifications. Just the LED light. Probably because they feel it saves more battery.

Some apps have their own control for turning on screens on notification. Or you can download LightFlow so you can control which apps light up the screen and which not to.
    love4speechless likes this.
    05-28-2016 07:24 PM
    Thanks - everything is switched on. I've checked multiple times, factory reset and tried another Verizon phone. Does yours turn on for Gmail and Facebook when AOD is off and the screen is dark?

Is it just a Verizon issue or does unlocked also not wake the screen for Gmail?
    05-28-2016 07:30 PM
    Thanks. That's really a bummer that Samsung screens do not turn on. I love the phone, except for this issue. Wish they would follow stock Marshmallow and allow the screen to turn on (and not disable that feature). Ugh.
    05-28-2016 07:32 PM
    As I said before, no. And Facebook does not have a setting to turn on screen. Nor does GMail. And this is not a Verizon issue. I am not even in the US. This is a Samsung thing. Doesn't matter where you do the phone.

Just get an app like Lightflow. You can set it to turn on screen when you receive a Gmail notification or for any app you want.
    05-28-2016 07:46 PM
    Installed Lightflow - that works (although a bit overkill for what I need). Wish Samsung would just follow the stock Android specs in the future.

Thanks again!
    05-29-2016 08:23 AM
    It will come up useful when you encounter apps that don't use the LED and you want them to. 😊
    05-29-2016 08:36 AM
    It's interesting to find people see this as an issue. I have the opposite problem, mine comes on for everything and I would like that to stop or at the very least control how/when it does. In the middle of the night it sucks to have the room lightening up because someone is posting on facebook instead of sleeping. There is an app or system setting I have found that helps a little. Try to search in your settings for screen notifications. I have gotten some apps to honor me turning this setting off, but not sure how to get what others have in that no notifications turn on the screen.
    08-09-2016 03:38 PM
    its not a issue just a very bad notification designed phone, sms and calls wake up the phone but forget the reast, lets hope Samsung sort it but with the huge sales of th s7 series I think they wont bother.
    08-16-2016 05:15 PM
    matey the s7 edge doesn't wake up from black screen or always on display with whats app, facebook, messenger, emails, skype, you name it it wont do it, if yours is then these som,ehting wrong cause the s7 edge doesn't have that ability. only sms and calls wake up the device through notificatioons
    08-16-2016 05:17 PM
    facing same problem wid my s7edge screen dnt turn on when any notification recevied i was using mate8 but when ever i get any notification screenturn on plzfix it
    08-21-2016 02:33 PM
    its not a issue just a very bad notification designed phone, sms and calls wake up the phone but forget the reast, lets hope Samsung sort it but with the huge sales of th s7 series I think they wont bother.
    I don't want them to. I like it how it doesn't wake up when there's a notification.
    08-21-2016 04:02 PM
    Hi I am new to Samsung S7 after leaving Sony.

I had this problem and googled it, got these forums, but no solution... after some messing about and tests... I narrowed it down to gmail for me.

I have notifications for gmail off. But each time I sent myself an email, it lit up, with no obvious notification. So I disabled Gmail App (as you cannot uninstall it) and sent myself another test email, it didn't light up, so far so good. This might not work for you, but it has so far worked for me.

Hope this is useful guys. Let me know how you get on
    11-18-2016 11:23 AM
    The best app I found to make the phone light up is Slide Lock. Yoy can select which apps will make the phone light up and you will also see a portion of the message in Whatsapp for example. The only thing I don´t like is that it adds an Iphone like lock screen to the phone, but considering the benefit it brought me this is a minor issue I can live with...
    11-18-2016 11:34 AM
    Installed Lightflow - that works (although a bit overkill for what I need). Wish Samsung would just follow the stock Android specs in the future.

Thanks again!

Go into the play store and download "screen notifications". It looks just like a light bulb. I think that it's what you're looking for.
    04-13-2017 08:54 AM