Not getting facebook notifications

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Got a new s7 edge, notifications are enabled on the app and as well as in the phones settings for facebook but not receiving any notifications for new posts, etc. Any fix for this? Am I missing something somewhere?

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Also, even though I have set up fingerprint scanning to unlock my device, it doesn't prompt me to use my fingerprint OR a password to unlock my phone. It just unlocks unsecurely as if there's nothing enabled. Starting to regret this phone choice.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
For the lockscreen, do you have Trusted Devices turned on? That makes it so that if it detects a trusted connection (like home wifi), it won't prompt you for a lock.

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Looking around in settings for trusted devices but I'm not seeing it. Where abouts is it?

Edit: Ok, changed the lock timer from 1 hour of inactivity to turn on the security to instantly and now the lock screen is working the way I want. Thank you.

BaconDanny

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Got a new s7 edge, notifications are enabled on the app and as well as in the phones settings for facebook but not receiving any notifications for new posts, etc. Any fix for this? Am I missing something somewhere?
Check the App optimization settings. If an app is set to save power, it will be prevented from using certain services in the background. So if for example Facebook messenger is on power save, it will not give you notifications.

Edit: just realised if you're new to the phone you might not now where to find this setting :) Go to settings - battery and click on details next to app power saving. Then set the apps you don't want to risk missing notifications for to disabled.

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I don't see that option under battery. The closest thing I found was by clicking "more" under battery, I could go to "optimize battery usage" and then disable facebook under "all apps". But that still isn't making facebook notifications come through on my phone.

And yeah, this is my first Android since the Motorola Backflip first launched in 2010. And I didn't have that long before switching to Windows Phone.

BaconDanny

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see that option under battery. The closest thing I found was by clicking "more" under battery, I could go to "optimize battery usage" and then disable facebook under "all apps". But that still isn't making facebook notifications come through on my phone.

And yeah, this is my first Android since the Motorola Backflip first launched in 2010. And I didn't have that long before switching to Windows Phone.
8bae2a8d2bf047615a11ffbc16a2f8fa.jpg

You see the "Details" button there in my screenshot? Under App power saving. There they are. I had the same problem with Facebook@Work messenger app until I disabled the power saving on it. Don't know if it will help in your case though. Maybe try and see if you've accidently disabled notification permission for it under Settings - notifications. Your phone settings that is, not the Facebook app settings

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
13335385_10206276825188820_1711954805_n.jpg

There's the battery settings for this phone. Don't see app power saving.

And uninstalling facebook isn't an option as you can't do it on this phone. You can only clear data and uninstall updates, not the entire app itself. I assume because it's a branded phone? Anyway, I should add that the phone seems to sometimes play a notification SOUND but there is never a visual cue. No message in the systems pull down menu, no lock screen notification, etc. Also, it's actually my girlfriend's new phone, so forgive the pink lol. I'm still rocking my HTC One m8. She needed to get an android to accompany her new fitbit blaze. I know it's probably a small thing to a lot of people, not getting the notification in the pull down menu or on the lock screen but it should still work, ya know? Really appreciate the replies so far, keep them coming if anyone has any ideas, if you think I've missed something, etc. Thanks again.

We're considering going back to the AT&T store to ask if anyone there can help but I'm not optimistic about the advice they would have.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Facebook notifications didn't work on my S6. It just became something I accepted I needed to refresh the app and check for notifications because it was the only thing that annoyed me about the phone other than battery life. I haven't really noticed if it is something I am experiencing on the S7 because I have less than ten people that I'm friends with so I rarely get notifications

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Facebook notifications didn't work on my S6. It just became something I accepted I needed to refresh the app and check for notifications because it was the only thing that annoyed me about the phone other than battery life. I haven't really noticed if it is something I am experiencing on the S7 because I have less than ten people that I'm friends with so I rarely get notifications

That's disappointing to hear. So maybe there will just be no fix to this?

I dread the day I'll have to jump ship from WP (when I just can't find a phone I like) because man, I really feel like I'm not missing much from Android, besides issues like this.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried if you are getting notifications if you use the web version instead? Chrome can give you Facebook notifications.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the "system Facebook" and Play Store Facebook app do not behave the same. I disabled the system Facebook app and downloaded the Play Store version (did the same with Amazon).

While you can't uninstall a system app you can disable it.

RanchoBurger

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I suspect that the "system Facebook" and Play Store Facebook app do not behave the same. I disabled the system Facebook app and downloaded the Play Store version (did the same with Amazon).

While you can't uninstall a system app you can disable it.

Can you clarify what you mean by system facebook and play store facebook? When we search for facebook in the play store, only one app shows up that IS facebook and it's the one already on the phone, the one that came pre-installed, the one that we can't uninstall. I don't see a "different version" on the play store.

To the folks that have mentioned using chrome instead, even when signed in to facebook in chrome and the browser is "minimized" (sorry for lack of a better word), no notifications come through.