At what percentage % do you charge your battery? (to help your battery lead a longer life)

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I noticed a number of threads here. Some people say never let the battery go down all the way down as it hampers the battery in the long run.Some say it's optimum to charge the battery @ 20%. Yesterday i saw a thread wherein a guy had posted saying that you should never let your battery go below 40%. Always recharge your battery the moment it hits 40%.

So what is the right percentage to charge your battery (which will make the battery lead a long and happy life)

Also i noticed. I'm not sure if this is a feature or not. But when it hits 100% it says charged and stops charging (which is good if this is the case) Helps to stop overcharging the battery unnecessarily. I use to notice this for Asus laptops so as to prevent over charging and damaging the battery. On the iphone it use to say charged but still had the charging logo sign which meant it kept charging.

Regds,
Kenrick

Lee Christina

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I've used these phones are prompted to charge the battery if less than 15%. So when I think should charge the battery at 15%. Of course if your battery has collapsed by 15% at source must be charged before

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I just plug it in at night so I'm charging around 10% these days. On the previous firmware I was charging at around 35%.

If I've a heavy day in work and I'm driving a lot, I'll charge throughout the day in the car.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I normally charge at 30-40%. Due to my line of work, I need the phone always available, so I charge it whenever I am able and carry around a power bank.

However on Li ion technology, you actually want to keep it topped up as often as possible to reduce usage of charge cycles. The phone has a limited number of charge cycles, after which capacity deteriorates. Usually this is at 500-600 cycles (1 cycle is discharge from 100 to 0, then charge 0 to 100). This is good for about 18mos if you fully discharge and charge your phone once a day. The closer you are to zero, the closer you are to this number.

However, not fully discharging the phone has benefits of increasing the number of charge cycles. Cycling at 50% (never letting it go below 50%) gives you 1500 cycles. At 75% you get 2500 cycles. So basically, you could turn your 3600 battery good for 18mos before start of capacity deterioration to a 1800mah battery good for 54mos.

Your choice becomes to make the most of the battery's capacity and drain it as low as you can before charging, or try to prolong it's lifespan. Personally, I just try to charge at 40% when I can, but don't mind when I reach 10% every now and then if I couldn't help it.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited:

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I normally charge at 30-40%. Due to my line of work, I need the phone always available, so I charge it whenever I am able and carry around a power bank.

However on Li ion technology, you actually want to keep it topped up as often as possible to reduce usage of charge cycles. The phone has a limited number of charge cycles, after which capacity deteriorates. Usually this is at 500-600 cycles (1 cycle is discharge from 100 to 0, then charge 0 to 100). This is good for about 18mos if you fully discharge and charge your phone once a day. The closer you are to zero, the closer you are to this number.

However, not fully discharging the phone has benefits of increasing the number of charge cycles. Cycling at 50% (never letting it go below 50%) gives you 1500 cycles. At 75% you get 2500 cycles. So basically, you could turn your 3600 battery good for 18mos before start of capacity deterioration to a 1800mah battery good for 54mos.

Your choice becomes to make the most of the battery's capacity and drain it as low as you can before charging, or try to prolong it's lifespan. Personally, I just try to charge at 40% when I can, but don't mind when I reach 10% every now and then if I couldn't help it.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

@chanchan insane reply. thank you for the response.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just fully charge once a day when it's convenient to do so, usually at night a couple hours before bed. Could be anywhere from 50% to 5% left on the meter. Usually loses 4% over nite. Always have done all my phones with a once a day charge, rarely needing a boost thruout the day. Never had any battery failures or battery related issues ever , on any device. I don't buy into all the battery charging debate that always comes up. I just do what I've been doing for years and see no need to change what works for me.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I use mine all day and charge it overnight regardless of what percentage it's at. I don't let my battery change how I use my phone. I won't have it more than a year, anyway, so I'm not too worried about losing battery capacity.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I swear I remember Jerry talking about this in the podcast before, and he mentioned anywhere from 40%-69% is the sweet spot for charging your phone, in order to keep the battery healthy

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I charge it at night unless it has a ton of charge left for the next day (like if I charged it in the evening out of necessity), so charge could be anywhere from 60 to 5%. I am not going to live my life worrying about my phone's battery needing to be charged when it has plenty of battery left for me not to be stuck to a charger. I have not had an issue with my iPad battery, which I almost never charge when it is above 5% and have had the device for years, or previous phone batteries (had my S3 for four years on the original battery, for instance). I (as well as others I know) have had issues with laptops left plugged in most of the time, as many people have, so I definitely don't recommend doing that!

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I only charge my battery when it needs charging. I am now on a plan where I can get a new phone every 12 months so I'm not afraid of the battery depleting

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I usually set mine on the wireless charger on my desk at work and bump it up just a little, however I have also read that the sweet spot is 40% for optimal life. but really who keeps there phone for more than a few years anyhow. IMO More charging in smaller increments is better.

With the battery tech and phones built in protection I doubt you will have to worry about it much. Just don't let it get too hot, overcharge or constantly turn the phone on after it has shut off due to low battery. If you run it down to 0% and go to turn it on you will notice it will try and turn on but the phone will immediately shut off again. Thus 0% is not really 0%. The phone protects itself.

Occasionally doing one of the abuses above should not damage the battery, but ever time you do it reduces the life just a little bit.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I know there's plenty of stuff about charging at certain % to keep your battery optimised, and you get X amount of cycles, etc, but, as a rule, if you have half decent phone with a half decent battery, charging at 15/30/40/75%, or whatever isn't going to make much difference over a 1-2 year life cycle of a phone.

Not only that, batteries are optimised differently, and not always completely accurately. I had the LG G4, and that used to sit at 100% for absolute ages regardless of how much I hammered it, and then, when it did eventually go to 99% it plummeted like a stone. I know the G4 was known for this, but you catch my drift...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
In this day and age of leased phones like T-Mobile's Jump On Demand program, Keeping a phone for a few months let alone 2 years makes battery longevity concerns none existent. If you're buying the device out right then you best have insurance, which will cover the battery as well. My point is, I use my devices as they were designed to be used, I don't cripple their functionality to eek out a few extra minutes of screentime, and I sure don't waste my time pondering what the perfect percentage point would be to recharge my phone. I have multiple wireless chargers throughout my home, office, and car. No matter whether the phone needs it or not, it will depending on usage end up on one of those chargers 1-4 times a day.
When the next Note is released, I get a new battery. If something should happen before then, I have insurance that will take care of it ...

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I usually wake up at 100 and by the time I am leaving for work it will be on 80 or less after a couple hours and I charge it to a 100 cause I like to be at a 100 at work. My signal isn't so great there so it drains quicker. But I don't usually charge it at work unless it's under 20% and I have a couple hours left at work. Usually I'll leave work at 20 or 30% and am good till I get home. I always set in on the wireless charger when I go to bed. I am not sure about the charge when you get to 40% could be good to do but I don't usually do that maybe I should who knows.