Darker 'translucent' Lines When I Change Brightness On My Galaxy S7 Edge

npharrison

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
4 translucent lines have just appeared on my phone in the last half hour. I bought my phone as part of the samsung upgrade programme, and bought mine on 17th May, so they have all my details etc. It's annoying, but sh*t happens. I'm now #18 in the queue to talk to support to see what they have to say about it. I'll edit this post if possible to let everyone know what happens.
:(
UPDATE
Contacted Samsung Shop, didn't even ask to see screenshot and has booked it in for free courier collection tomorrow, to be taken to service station for repair. Right at the end I asked if he'd seen it before, and surprise, surprise, not the first time this happened. Such a shame. I'm really loving this phone. I took some superb photos on holiday, and am enjoying very little lag with it. So fingers crossed with the repair. I'm hurriedly trying to sort out a back up phone to use till it returns, plus backing up all the data off the 7 Edge, and then I've got to package it all up. Long night ahead :-(

Last edited:

Arjunrk97

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

so I have been desperately trying to look EVERYWHERE on the internet about my problem and I have had zero luck, so hopefully someone on here can lead me in the right direction.

At the more towards end of April I bought a Galaxy S7 Edge, I was really excited about it sense I have been an avid iPhone user and I wasn't happy at all w/ my iPhone 6 Plus. (I digress) Everything was working perfectly... until about 2 weeks ago.

As I was using my Facebook app, my phone froze for only 3 seconds (first time the phone even froze at all on me) and then right after that I saw I had these thick, dark, 'translucent' lines across my phone screen and it only works when I have the phone turned on full brightness and they only show up when I'm trying to change the brightness setting.

Side note: I HATE having my phone on full brightness (O_O like holy shet I'm blind yo).

I thought it was odd so I rebooted the phone, and they were still there, I started to panic a bit as it was a new phone but I was way past the 15 return policy.

So basically my question is: Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you have to do? Where you able to fix it yourself or did you have to take it in to your mobile phone carrier's store? Or did you have to talk to Samsung?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you :)

Same problem with my phone as i was using the phone camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

topsy1

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
This is a hardware issue. The lines may initially come and go but will eventually persist at some point. Best to get the phone repaired and be done with it.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Today I went into VZ to look at the 7 edge. I saw the screen had these pink splotches and VERTICAL lines all over the display no matter what I looked at on it. The sales agent there knew nothing about it. She told me that it was part of the display...no it's not. After googling this it seems to be an issue. It is almost like a CRT tube picture that needs to be degaussed. If I thought while I was there I would have tried a magnet across the display to see if it goes away.

Copy and pasted from Yahoo Issue: Screen color tint

It’s not unusual to get a display where the color isn’t entirely uniform. Most people won’t really notice if the bottom of the screen is slightly darker, but sometimes areas of the display can exhibit a color tint in pink, yellow, or green. It may be most noticeable when the background is white or gray.

Workaround:

You could always try an app like Screen Equalizer to try and mask it.
Solution:

There’s really only one solution and that’s to get a replacement handset. You’ll need to contact Samsung, your carrier, or your retailer.

Last edited:

Josh Williams6

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
And the interesting thing is that the lines are not captured by a screen shot, hope all of you can confirm.

The screen shot is clean

The reason behind the screen shot being clean would be the phone takes the screen shot before it gets filtered through the brightness software in your phone. Not a phone tech so not 100% on that but I know im on the right track lol

MisterMathew

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm so glad I found this post, I'm having the exact same problem which started several weeks ago. Do the lines get wider as your adjust the brightness as though it's adjusting quadrants of your screen instead of the whole thing at once? I have 3 lines which are evenly spaced effectively quartering my screen. I can still see everything in the lines, it's just as though those areas stayed at a lower brightness level. Interestingly enough, it happened while I was chatting on Facebook messenger with the same freezing.

Im also having this problem with my phone. But it seems most of us experience this while using a facebook. I will bring this tomorrow in Samsung Store and hopefully they can accommodate me for this. My worry is that I bought my phone in Samsung SG and I reside at Philippines, can this still be covered by a warranty?.. hrrrr...

Gamma56

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
2nd Sept 2016, this is my 4th Samsung S7 Edge, since 21st March.
1st Camera wouldn't work, 2nd screen cracked (not dropped) and was in a fully protected case, 3rd screen cracked (was dropped) in different fully protected case, now 4th one has started with these lines (not dropped).
Not visible on full brightness, with auto selected. So glad I took out insurance as it looks like I'll soon be on my 5th!

steviegsx

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, I had switched settings to always on display so I could see the time. A month or so later I had the strips appear. I turned off the always on display and a couple of days later the strips have disappeared. Been fine now for the last week or so.

Timothy Jayasingh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
For the past 2 days I also had the similar issue, I removed the check mark in the brightness and I made it to full bright and the issue got resolved l, I feel there is an issue in the sensor, if there is a OS update I guess this issue might be resolved, on the other hand I am planning to do factory reset and will update you guys.

SamsungFun

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Just let the s7 edge drain out the battery and shut off itself for 12 hrs
Then plug in the usb charger and let it charge for 12 hr then see if the problem go away. I have the same problem
My problem is gone and the only thing i can remember is dropping the phone couple times and the drain battery by accident

DangerPainter

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey, It would seem the only real solution to this issue is a hardware replacement.... but if you want a quick, easy solution then set the brightness to full and on auto to get rid of the lines and then download the Twilight app from google play. Install the app and then maximize the screen dim. this will give you a normal looking screen without the lines and without the screen competing with the sun for the brightness of the year award......

Giulia Goidanich

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem last week.
Turns out that this is a hardware issue and there is no way you can fix it.
You have to go on the store where you bought, request a new one and pray for the best.
Or if you have insurance, you just have to send it to them and they'll give you a new one in a couple of days.
:)

HW79

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
For all the people who have the dark lines on their phones:

Question 1: do you all have the s7 edge or some of you have the flat version and have same the problem?

Question 2: do you all have the s7 edge dual sim version or some of you have the single sim only and have the same problem?

Munjurul Kabir

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I have the very same issue. Only had my phone for a few weeks and it just happened today. I have not dropped it or got it wet or anything it just suddenly changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech