S7 Edge. Now on my 3rd due to the pink lines of screen death

lewchenko

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
As per the title, I'm about to receive my 3rd S7 edge in just 3 months as the last 2 have been replaced under warranty due to pink blotchy bars appearing on the screen, especially when browsing. Mostly vertical, and sometimes hanging off dark images on white backgrounds (which turn grainy pink and grey when the effect happens. )

Both phones got hot too and suddenly lost a lot of battery % (bottom right for the heat) . The last one also reverted to greenish text on the always on display rather than white and a night clock with a backight glow rather than pure black background.

I think the display processor / adapter is getting toasted. Both were exynos versions and fully up to date in terms of Android updates etc. Not dropped or wet.

Atleast they are being replaced but my confidence in Samsung's quality is now pretty dented.

Anyone else having such issues? My first dip into Android land for several years after countless iPhones. If the 3rd dies then I think I will have to consider alternatives.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Which carrier are those for? I haven't had any issues so far on mine, but it's T-Mobile. Yes, the manufacturing process IS different on carrier versions. Plus, carrier-induced bugs in their OS modification might lead to hardware failure if the system is pushing things to a limit.

lewchenko

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm on EE (based in the UK). Credit where credit is due - they have replaced both phones within 24 hours each time which I think is good service.

lewchenko

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
What brightness are you running?

Posted via the Android Central App

About a 3rd of the way up with auto brightness on.

Only happens after browsing for say 10 mins, then you feel the phone getting hot, then the pink stuff starts on the screen. The strange thing is the pink stuff scrolls with you when you scroll back and forth. It's like pinkish grey bar codes going down the screen.

The night screen with its back light glow and greenish text rather than white happens all the time though. A google search found s6 edge owners with this problem too which was eventually resolved with a Samsung update (probably to restrict your phone running too hot with a down clock or something) . Odd that the problem occurred for me exactly when I noticed the hot to hold temp and pink lines.

Overheating plus display adapter issue is the conclusion when getting them to send a new one under warranty. 2 in a row.

Am hoping for better luck with the 3rd.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a charm, right? :)

Good luck with that, hope the new unit doesn't fail!

Just curious... IF you still have the defective unit (or the new one exhibits the same), can you try running in Safe Mode and not opening any apps but the browser? Does it do it there too? If not, maybe it's an app you are using that's going rogue on the processor.

tengtengvn

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon version is made in Korea. I have t-mobile version made in Vietnam. I haven't had any issues with both. Well, beside the screen is so damn easy to scratch.

sygys

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
About a 3rd of the way up with auto brightness on.

Only happens after browsing for say 10 mins, then you feel the phone getting hot, then the pink stuff starts on the screen. The strange thing is the pink stuff scrolls with you when you scroll back and forth. It's like pinkish grey bar codes going down the screen.

The night screen with its back light glow and greenish text rather than white happens all the time though. A google search found s6 edge owners with this problem too which was eventually resolved with a Samsung update (probably to restrict your phone running too hot with a down clock or something) . Odd that the problem occurred for me exactly when I noticed the hot to hold temp and pink lines.

Overheating plus display adapter issue is the conclusion when getting them to send a new one under warranty. 2 in a row.

Am hoping for better luck with the 3rd.
It sounds like a problem with heat. Browsing the Web will indeed produce heat. The data chip cpu screen and gpu all use power while browsing . This will produce heat. My s6 and even iPhone will get hot when used. But it seems that when it does the units you have get too hot and go loco. Maybe if the unit gets too hot the chip is clocked down or crashes completely giving these artifacts on screen. Never had such a thing with Samsung. I must say amoled aren't the best screens there are. Huge problems with burn in are a pain

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I copied this from Yahoo... Issue: Screen color tint

It’s not unusual to get a display where the color isn’t entirely uniform. Most people won’t really notice if the bottom of the screen is slightly darker, but sometimes areas of the display can exhibit a color tint in pink, yellow, or green. It may be most noticeable when the background is white or gray.

Workaround:

You could always try an app like Screen Equalizer to try and mask it.
Solution:

There’s really only one solution and that’s to get a replacement handset. You’ll need to contact Samsung, your carrier, or your retailer.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Can someone who is experiencing this try sliding a mirror around the front screen(without actually touching it of course). I know on CRT screens this same scenario would happen if it were not for auto degaussing on TV's. Magnet is essentially degaussing. So... I was wondering maybe a magnetic backing is causing this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance