S7 Edge horrible standby battery, any fixes?

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I just got the S7 Edge and am losing more than 1% per hour in standby, while in doze. I am using greenify, but nothing else. I have tried with bloatware both disabled and enabled, and have tried both with always on screen toggled on and off. Help?Screenshot_20160531-134409.jpgScreenshot_20160531-134415.jpg

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
A standby discharge of 1% per hour seems pretty reasonable to me. That's 4 days of standby.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

MissSpiffy

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yea i don't understand the problem either. A smartphone is expected to get you through a day. With all due respect, I'd say the problem is your expectations. 6% in standby is remarkable. Unless you are powering off the phone you will always lose some small percent every hour as it is smart and still doing Things even if it is asleep. I have the note 5 and i wish i could boast only 6% usage after a quarter of a day.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I agree with the last two posters. Only 1% per hour is just fine...nothing to worry about. You could leave your phone sitting untouched for 12 hours and only drop from 100% to 88%. Get back with us when your drain is more than 3-5% per hour. THEN you have a problem.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Lol I've never seen a smartphone with better than 1% on standby. Heck GSMArena tests have shown that the S7 has around 92hrs of standby and that's one of the best standby times for ANY smartphone.

Your first smartphone?

There's nothing to help you with on a normally functioning unit.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
First, uninstall greenify. It's probably doing more harm than good.

Second, I've seen the Nexus 6p idle at .6%/hr, so lower is possible. That being said, this is NOT a Nexus and should not be expected to behave like one. 1%/hr should be considered acceptable.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I had to re-read the title and go over the post a few times, trying to figure out if I had missed something about it haha. 1% per hour doesn't seem like 'horrible standby' to me. Maaaaaaaybe if it was in Airplane mode all the time, but even then it would seem reasonable(ish) if the phone was in some sort of use.

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
OP; Turn off things you don't need, start with the Gsam battery monitor, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi if your not using them and any other apps that don't need to be running while your phones asleep.
1% per hour isn't that bad while resting.

manomic

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I get about 1% drop in every 3 hours or so on WIFI and every 5 hours or so if everything is off. But when LTE is ON without wifi, 1% is consumed for every 45-1.5 hours (it depends on signal strength). From your chart it seems your phone is held awake for 30 mins something is producing a lot of wake locks. Check from the wakelock detector. The following are settings that i have.

1) Turn off NFC if that's on.
2) Remove Android Device manager if that's installed, it caused a lot of CPU wake locks using Maps.
3) Try setting GPS positioning to use only GPS instead of GPS+WIFI & Mobile Networks.
4) Turn off google now cards and location history.
5) Set app power saving to always for apps those you don't use often or those you don't need notifications from.
6) Turn off background data for apps you feel don't need background data. This option is only for mobile data.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I get about 1% drop in every 3 hours or so on WIFI and every 5 hours or so if everything is off. But when LTE is ON without wifi, 1% is consumed for every 45-1.5 hours (it depends on signal strength). From your chart it seems your phone is held awake for 30 mins something is producing a lot of wake locks. Check from the wakelock detector. The following are settings that i have.

1) Turn off NFC if that's on.
2) Remove Android Device manager if that's installed, it caused a lot of CPU wake locks using Maps.
3) Try setting GPS positioning to use only GPS instead of GPS+WIFI & Mobile Networks.
4) Turn off google now cards and location history.
5) Set app power saving to always for apps those you don't use often or those you don't need notifications from.
6) Turn off background data for apps you feel don't need background data. This option is only for mobile data.
Depends on how you want your phone, some of these really aren't advisable. Likw turning off device manager. We've had reports of the phone suddenly having password issues after updates, and device manager works as a way to get into the phone. And you want to turn it off?

It's also a way to find the phone if misplaced or stolen, and to remote wipe it to keep info private.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well I felt I could use the samsung's built in Find my phone option for that. I wasn't aware of the password issue.
That's ok, using Find My Mobile, but not everyone seems to know about it. At least ADM is active by default. FMM still needs you to opt in.

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, apps that check battery constantly take up battery.
6% used in 5.36 or so hours is pretty good I think. 88% shows being used by apps. Screen, Android and unused apps are what eats up batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34