the curved edges are making me consider going back to my iPhone 6S Plus

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
...the same thing that makes this phone so darned sexy: the curved edges. It's ironic that one of the features that most drew me (and many others) to this phone is the one thing that may drive me away. Let me explain.

I have big, meaty hands the size of meat platters, so using the phone one-handed is not a problem for me, at least length- and width-wise. However, my beefy fingers and the drumstick at the base of my thumb (or, "thumbstick" as I like to call it) routinely touchethe curved edges. When I'm using it with two hands, I absolutely adore it. When I'm using it one-handed, it can be frustrating. When I pick up my iPhone 6S Plus, it obviously doesn't have that problem. On the other hand (pun intended), it's so freaking big and heavy compared to the svelte and sexy S7E that I can't stay with it.

Not looking for sympathy or even necessarily solutions...just venting a little frustration. My love/hate relationship for this beautiful piece of kit grows by the day.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: The ONE thing that's making me consider going back to my iPhone 6S Plus is...

Do you have a case on it? I find that the edges of the case prevent me from accidentally touching the screen edges. Also, this phone is just way too fragile to use without a case.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: The ONE thing that's making me consider going back to my iPhone 6S Plus is...

Ditto on the case. Even a slim one helps A LOT with handling the curved edges and keeping finger meat from touching it (I'm with you, my thumb is just meaty at the base haha, but not that long, so even with the case, one-handed operation is still cumbersome).

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I do use a case, and that makes it better. I actually found one that has a kickstand that, when slid down, leaves an opening for my right ring finger. This actually helps to make it easer to use one handed...until my ring finger gets stressed/fatigued.

Otherwise, I use basic, clear TPU cases that give it some grip without adding much width. Still have issues with either situation, but not as bad as naked. I simply cannot use it one-handed without some sort of case on it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

To be fair, this was never intended for one-hand use. If you decrease the screen size to 'one-handed mode', presses on the opposite edge are ignored.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

Yes, I do use a case, and that makes it better. I actually found one that has a kickstand that, when slid down, leaves an opening for my right ring finger. This actually helps to make it easer to use one handed...until my ring finger gets stressed/fatigued.

Otherwise, I use basic, clear TPU cases that give it some grip without adding much width. Still have issues with either situation, but not as bad as naked. I simply cannot use it one-handed without some sort of case on it.

I got a clear case for my phone and was amazed how much better in hand the phone felt. It always felt slippery before I got a case for it. Now it has much more grip and feels a lot sturdier

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Case makes it so much more ergonomic friendly. Resist the Apple!

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had a similar issue with the Edge on my S7 at times (and I have 'normal' sized hands, whatever that means...). I can use it one-handed, but do occasionally get a blip with hitting something unintentional.

It's such an original idea, specific to Samsung, that it's not really had the shelf-life yet to have a solution as yet, although I'm sure software updates and/or future iterations will help.

I did use a case initially, but now have a skin. I pay for insurance, and I'm quite careful with my phone. Personally, I like the way the phone looks and acts with no case, despite the odd Edge hiccup. The pro's outweigh the cons for me.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
The official Samsung leather case for the S7 Edge has literally eliminated any unintended edge touches. And it's a damn classy too.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I have had a similar issue with the Edge on my S7 at times (and I have 'normal' sized hands, whatever that means...). I can use it one-handed, but do occasionally get a blip with hitting something unintentional.

It's such an original idea, specific to Samsung, that it's not really had the shelf-life yet to have a solution as yet, although I'm sure software updates and/or future iterations will help.

I did use a case initially, but now have a skin. I pay for insurance, and I'm quite careful with my phone. Personally, I like the way the phone looks and acts with no case, despite the odd Edge hiccup. The pro's outweigh the cons for me.

I like the phone without the case too. It's just so dang slippery

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
If you like the screen size, maybe you should trade it in for the latest Note? There is also the regular S7 too, if you're willing to go down in screen size.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you like the screen size, maybe you should trade it in for the latest Note? There is also the regular S7 too, if you're willing to go down in screen size.

And battery size. That's the main reason I didn't go for the Edge-less S7, not so much the screen size. Plus, the Edge just turns heads!

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
...the same thing that makes this phone so darned sexy: the curved edges. It's ironic that one of the features that most drew me (and many others) to this phone is the one thing that may drive me away. Let me explain.

I have big, meaty hands the size of meat platters, so using the phone one-handed is not a problem for me, at least length- and width-wise. However, my beefy fingers and the drumstick at the base of my thumb (or, "thumbstick" as I like to call it) routinely touchethe curved edges. When I'm using it with two hands, I absolutely adore it. When I'm using it one-handed, it can be frustrating. When I pick up my iPhone 6S Plus, it obviously doesn't have that problem. On the other hand (pun intended), it's so freaking big and heavy compared to the svelte and sexy S7E that I can't stay with it.

Not looking for sympathy or even necessarily solutions...just venting a little frustration. My love/hate relationship for this beautiful piece of kit grows by the day.

I honestly can't take your posts seriously on here lmfao. I always read them in the voice of your avatar. Love that episode.

As far as your post goes, I haven't had that problem on the s7 edge, but I had it on the s6 edge all the time. Couldn't even use it.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
My wife and I both use the Speck Candyshell Grip case with our phone and they are GREAT! When I take my case off, I have the same issue with side presses. With the case on, not only does it give me great grip across the back of the phone, but it also protrudes a little more than a standard case on the side (you can see the ridges in the picture) which definitely keeps me from side touches.

I will say though, one thing that bugs me about the phone though is the letters which are right on the edge of the keyboard (I find) can be hard to have the phone read my touches for some reason (due to the glass edge right there).

CandyShell Grip Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Cases

75870-B565_gs7e_cs-grip_01.jpg

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I both use the Speck Candyshell Grip case with our phone and they are GREAT! When I take my case off, I have the same issue with side presses. With the case on, not only does it give me great grip across the back of the phone, but it also protrudes a little more than a standard case on the side (you can see the ridges in the picture) which definitely keeps me from side touches.

I will say though, one thing that bugs me about the phone though is the letters which are right on the edge of the keyboard (I find) can be hard to have the phone read my touches for some reason (due to the glass edge right there).

CandyShell Grip Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Cases

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sit...B565_gs7e_cs-grip_01.jpg?sw=590&sh=590&sm=fit

I had the same problem with the keyboard. Thankfully the keyboard I use - SwiftKey- recently updated for this issue with the S7 Edge so it's no longer a problem

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't take your posts seriously on here lmfao. I always read them in the voice of your avatar. Love that episode.

As far as your post goes, I haven't had that problem on the s7 edge, but I had it on the s6 edge all the time. Couldn't even use it.
I am a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. :)

If you like that avatar, you'd love the Ricky Spanish one I use on some other message boards.

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I am like many others and haven't had an issue with a case. I have always hated cases and refused to use them on my phones. I was never willing to accept the extra bulk. This phone is so slim that having a case actually improves usability. I do have issues tapping anything on the curve of the screen. That area seems to be less sensitive probably because of the palm issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty