Samsung, you got me

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to phones or brand loyalty. I'm a developer so I'm switching phones and OS's often, probably using an iPhone a little more because I have more apps for iOS, and get requests to create apps for iOS more than Android.

For Samsung, I've had a Note 3,4 and 5, S5 and S6. There was always something I didn't like about Samsung phones, and it started with the Fascinate, and later the Galaxy Nexus. So I kind of gave up on them. Then I picked up the LG G5 and loved it. No stutter or lag, I couldn't believe it. I finally had an Android phone that was silky smooth like iOS, and it was great. Then I dropped it. First time I've ever cracked a screen (I don't use cases/screen protectors).

While it's out to LG for repair I picked up the S7 Edge, and a free TV from BestBuy. I'm sold. I love this phone, everything about it. The screen, battery life, feel in the hand, speed and smoothness, camera, everything. It took a while but I think Samsung finally has a winner. The plan was to use the S7 Edge, and return it within the 14 days and go back to the G5. But it's a keeper.

I hardly ever recommend an Android phone to anyone, now I urging people to switch. All the new flagships are nice this year, and Android has come a long way.

So if someone if on the fence about picking up this phone, don't hesitate. Go out and get one now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just get a case. I know, the Edge looks awesome without one and it WILL turn heads around you, but it's damn slippery because it's so thin and light! And a case will not only help with the grip, it will help if you have issues handling the edges to avoid accidental touch input.

But I agree, this phone is quite nice! And waterproof!

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
well said man. very well written. i switched from the iphone bandwagon to the s7 wagon and never looked back. which colour? and use a case pls

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I got it in silver. I've always been a black phone person, but this silver looks so classy, and from watching tons of video reviews it looked like it didn't show the fingerprints as much.

I'm probably going to keep both the G5 and S7 Edge, but the Edge will remain my daily driver. After looking at the screen, I don't think I can go back to anything else. Not that the G5 looks bad though. The G5 is a fine phone, but this S7 Edge seems in another class.

It's starting to sound like the iPhone 7 will be a ho hum update this time around, and that makes me even more excited for the Note 6. I can't believe how far Samsung has come. I have to give them credit for being determined to come out with such a solid product.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Rumors say, for some bizarre reason, the Note will 'skip' the 6 and go straight to Note 7 Edge this year. Who knows. I still want to see what they come up with.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah totally loving my s7 edge gold...been 2 months now...one of the best ever that samsung has produced...I stayed aways from Samsung after 1 sold my note 4 dual sim and shifted to lg g4...very phone though but it died of boot loop and now in repairs..will sell it when it's back...I am in u.s now ...things I can buy here with good deals ...thanx guys...

Posted via my Awesome Lumia 950 , Beautiful S7 Edge Gold or Surface pro 4

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My G5 survived a drop on stone tile. Came away with no damage. That was it, I bought my first case. The Spigen Slim case for the G5. Couldn't be happier. Very pocketable, fantastic grip and little bulk added. In fact, the weight is kinda perfect now, IMO.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So glad you are liking the Edge! And that you loved your G5! If I were to go with Samsung, I'd get an Edge or Note. Not 's huge fan of the S series.

If I could make a suggestion, it would be for you to maybe pick up a case - even a shell one to protect from little dings and scratches, so your phone can still retain its "bare" feel in your hand. Plus a screen protector.

So glad you are liking Android!! :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Can confirm. Was just in the rain walking around playing Ingress during my lunch break at work. Phone worked fine in the rain and no issues after.

THAT IS SO COOL! Maybe the Edge should be something I consider more heavily when it comes time to upgrade...

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
In my mind the S7 is what the S6 should have been. The battery life is the one major difference and just fixing the battery life problems of the S6 Samsung has made the perfect device imho

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Just get a case. I know, the Edge looks awesome without one and it WILL turn heads around you, but it's damn slippery because it's so thin and light! And a case will not only help with the grip, it will help if you have issues handling the edges to avoid accidental touch input.

But I agree, this phone is quite nice! And waterproof!
Depends on the case. The OEM leather back panel case does not affect the aesthetics if the phone at all IMO. I got a black Edge and a lot of people actually didn't realize at first that it had a case. Would have beeb perfect design IMO. The beautiful front on a leather back.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the case. The OEM leather back panel case does not affect the aesthetics if the phone at all IMO. I got a black Edge and a lot of people actually didn't realize at first that it had a case. Would have beeb perfect design IMO. The beautiful front on a leather back.

Got a link for that case?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd say this.

I used to seriously loathe the heck out of Samsung because some of their devices I have used ended up lagging pretty badly, sometimes to the point of being unusable. In 2013, I swore off Samsung devices and switched to HTC.

Fast forward to 2015 and with my general prejudice for Samsung still somewhat there, the S6 disappointed me at launch because it had a smaller, sealed battery and no expandable storage. As such, I was pretty upset and thought Samsung had really lost it. However, once I started using the Edge, I actually liked it. A LOT.

I was still upset over the smaller battery and loss of expandable storage, but the main reason I swore off Samsung phones; namely the performance issues and severe lag, have been mostly eliminated on the S6. Sure, it does do that a bit, but then, a phone that literally doesn't lag isn't in existence right now. I thought that the only thing it needed to bring me back was expandable storage and a larger battery.

Then the Galaxy S7 Edge happened. Yep, the S7e was the phone that ended my prejudice and hatred for Samsung. It's almost perfect to my eyes, and is a top-candidate as my new daily driver after my G4 is sold...until the Note 7.

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not anti-case, but just as an alternative to all the 'get a case' posts, you can always buy a skin to stop it being so slippery, and add a modicum of protection and keeping the look/feel of the phone.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
For years I used a Blackberry but they forgot how to make useful products.

Went to the HTC M9. Pre-ordered it. Fast good phone but battery life stunk and had it replaced twice under warranty.

I went into the store to buy an M10 but walked out with a black S7 Edge.

So far, so good. .

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Owner of a silver S7E for a month today. It's easily the best smartphone I've ever had,my 3rd Samsung. S4, note 4, now this. I've seriously tried to find flaws on this baby, and I can find none. A case is a must, it's just too slippery, and easy to drop. It's still a head turner with a case ,and fingerprints are minimal. Love this phone , I don't miss my note 4 at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci